Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Christ and the Church

(86 quotes)

The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the Church.
Tertullian

There are not a hundred people in America who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions of people who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church — which is, of course, quite a different thing.
Archbishop Fulton Sheen

Jesus promised his disciples three things: That they would be completely fearless, absurdly happy, and in constant trouble.

The Church doesn’t have a mission; the mission has a Church.
Matty Molnar

Christianity got over the difficulty of combining furious opposites by keeping them both and keeping them both furious.
G.K. Chesterton

I don’t worship Buddha because, unlike Jesus, he’s dead.

Christianity is not a philosophy or a religion or a kind of spirituality. It is a person, and that person crawled up onto the cross for you.
Dave Sloan

To be deep in history is to cease to be Protestant.
Blessed John Henry Newman

The Church exists for nothing else but to draw men into Christ, to make them little Christs. If they are not doing that, all the cathedrals, clergy, missions, sermons, even the Bible itself, are simply a waste of time. God became man for no other purpose.
C.S. Lewis

The greatest tragedy in the history of Christianity was neither the Crusades nor the Reformation nor the Inquisition, but rather the split that opened up between theology and spirituality at the end of the Middle Ages.
Hans Urs von Balthasar

If the churches ever did reunite, it would have to be into something that was as sacramental and liturgical and authoritative as the Roman Catholic Church and as protesting against abuses and as much focused on the individual in his direct relationship with Christ as the Evangelicals, as charismatic as the Pentecostals, as missionary-minded as the old mainline denominations, as focused on holiness as the Methodists or the Quakers, as committed to the social aspects of the Gospel as the social activists, as Biblical as fundamentalists, and as mystical as the Eastern Orthodox.
Peter Kreeft

I talk about the “cuteness” and the “niceness” of the Church a lot – and how I hate it.
Father Mike Schmitz

When the church is unified and the Lord is glorified, then the saints will be edified, sinners will be sanctified, and the devil will be terrified.
Anthony Warner

The holiest moment of the church service is the moment when God’s people – strengthened by preaching and sacrament – go out of the church door into the world to be the Church. We don’t go to church; we arethe Church.
Earnest Southcott

Protestants do not very often disagree with what Catholics believe, but they do very often disagree with what they think Catholics believe.
Father Dwight Longenecker

A good church should make you feel welcome, and more than a little uncomfortable.

What people don’t realize is how much Christianity costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course it is the cross.
Flannery O’Connor

About Jesus Christ and the Church, I simply know they’re just one thing, and we shouldn’t complicate the matter.
Saint Joan of Arc

The problem with Catholics today is nobody is trying to kill us.

If you can earn your own way to Heaven, then Christ died for nothing.

The resurrection of Jesus was like a boulder crashing into the pool of history.
Karl Barth

If a person claims to have met Jesus without being changed then they have not met the real Jesus.
Peter Kreeft

Life is a maybe. Death is for sure. Sin is the cause. Christ is the cure.

One of the easiest places to hide from God is at church.
Father Bob Schwartz

Christianity is a fighting religion.
C.S. Lewis

The difficulty explaining why I am Catholic is that there are 10,000 reasons all amounting to one reason: that Catholicism is true.
G.K. Chesterton

Not everyone can be a theologian, but everyone should know some theology.
Carl Olson

Our Lord’s body became a bait for death so that the dragon, hoping to swallow him, might vomit up those also whom he had swallowed.
Saint Cyril of Jerusalem

The Gospel lives in conversation with the culture, and if the Church holds back from the culture, the Gospel itself falls silent.
Saint John Paul the Great

Never be afraid of loving the Blessed Virgin too much. You can never love her more than Jesus did.
Saint Maximilian Kolbe

It is not hard to obey when we love the one whom we obey.
Saint Ignatius of Loyola

Let your religion be less of a theory and more of a love affair.
G.K. Chesterton

Jesus didn’t come into the world to make bad people good. He came into the world to make dead people live.
Ravi Zacharias

All Christians should be athletes for Christ.

The Jesus of the Gospels is surely not convenient for us.
Pope Benedict XVI

The Jesus who makes everything okay for everyone is a phantom, a dream, not a real figure…
Pope Benedict XVI

You start reading C.S. Lewis, then you’re reading G.K. Chesterton, then you’re a Catholic.
Ross Douthat

How sad it is when someone comes to you looking for Jesus and all they see is you.
Blessed Mother Teresa

If I were not a Catholic, and were looking for the true Church in the world today, I would look for the one Church which did not get along well with the world; in other words, I would look for the Church which the world hated.
Archbishop Fulton Sheen

We’re Catholics before we’re Democrats. We’re Catholics before we’re Republicans. We’re even Catholics before we’re Americans, because we know that God has a demand on us prior to any government demand on us. And this has been the story of the martyrs through the centuries.
Archbishop Charles Chaput

Don’t judge the Catholic faith by those who don’t practice it.

At some point Jesus is going to call you out. That’s what he does.
Father Mike Schmitz

We do not really want a religion that is right where we are right. We want a religion that is right where we are wrong. We do not want, as the newspapers say, a church that will move with the world. We want a church that will move the world.
G.K. Chesterton

All Jesus wants for Christmas is a place in your heart. And you’re the only one who can give it to Him.

Every heresy has been an effort to narrow the Church.
G.K. Chesterton

Jesus is the one who brings God to us and us to God.
Pope Francis

There is a big difference between a church saying, “We welcome all persons” and “We welcome all behavior”.
Father Thomas Williams

Imagine if we put your family’s issues on the front page of the paper. Every family has issues. The Church is a big family.
Matthew Kelly

We must make clear to all our brothers and sisters that the Church imposes nothing; she only proposes.

Keep Jesus in your Christmas presence.
Isabel Busyn

Catholicism is a matter of the body and the senses as much as it is a matter of the mind, precisely because the Word became flesh.
Father Robert Barron

Some people say, “I’m non-denominational”. I love to respond, “Well, as a Catholic, I’m pre-denominational”.
Steve Ray

Easter is an earthquake, an explosion. If you see it as less than that, you’re not getting it.
Father Robert Barron

Jesus didn’t come to save y’all. He came to save YOU.
Father Mike Schmitz

Take the crucifixion personally.
Father Mike Schmitz

The cross is Jesus going into the very lair of death. He goes to meet head-on that which frightens us the most. And what does He do? He battles it. He engages it. And finally he conquers it.
Father Robert Barron

Jesus is with me. I have nothing to fear.
Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati

For many people, the big feast of the year is Christmas, but for Christians, the truly great feast is Easter. Without Easter, without the Resurrection, we would not have the gift of salvation. Jesus had to rise from the dead or else he would have just been another failed Messiah and his birth would be a forgotten footnote of history.
Father Robert Barron

In her voyage across the ocean of this world, the Church is like a great ship being pounded by the waves of life’s different stresses. Our duty is not to abandon ship but to keep her on her course.
Saint Boniface

Christ is the lesson as well as the teacher.

When we ask, “Can I disagree with the teachings of the Church and still be Catholic?” what we’re really asking is, “Can I not be Catholic and still be Catholic?”
Eric Johnson

Christmas is about the gift that you’ve already been given.

Jesus’ resurrection was the ultimate plot twist.
Joe Pedrolie

I don’t think we’ll understand Advent correctly until we see it as a preparation for a revolution.
Father Robert Barron

Have you ever stopped to think that Christianity is the only religion in which the first step is to say, “I’m wrong?”
Father Dwight Longenecker

If Jesus didn’t rise from the dead, an even greater miracle happened: 12 relatively uneducated guys changed the world and were martyred to protect a lie.
Mark Hart

Life without Christ is crisis.
Father Paul Attah-Nsiah

Is it not a wonderful thing, that he that is the Lord and author of all liberty, would thus be bound with ropes and nailed hand and foot unto the Cross?
Saint John Fisher

You are loved more than you will ever know by someone who died to know you.

Whatever you wish you had today, Jesus is better.
Ennie Hickman

I would not believe in the Gospel, had not the authority of the Catholic Church already moved me.
Saint Augustine

The issue on which everything hangs is not whether you like His teaching but if He ‪rose from the dead.
Tim Keller

If Jesus rose from the dead you have to accept all He said. If He didn’t then why worry about any of what He said?
Tim Keller

The ‪Church is a perpetual construction site.
Cardinal Henri de Lubac

If anyone claims to have met Christ without being changed, he has not met Him at all.
Peter Kreeft

He who wishes for anything but Christ, does not know what he wishes; he who asks for anything but Christ, does not know what he is asking; he who works, and not for Christ, does not know what he is doing.
Saint Philip Neri

Easter is the day that God slapped YOLO in the face.
Chad Scriver

The miracle of Good Friday is that there was no miracle. Legions of angels stood – with swords sheathed – watching as the Son took our place.
Mark Hart

We never give more honor to Jesus than when we honor his Mother, and we honor her simply and solely to honor Him all the more perfectly.
Saint Louis de Montfort

What did we do the moment our all-powerful God made Himself vulnerable? We killed Him.
Father Mike Schmitz

We are a Church of the striving, not the saved.
Father Paul Check

Jesus didn’t come to make us feel good. He came to help us be good.

Enemy-occupied territory – that is what this world is. Christianity is the story of how the rightful king has landed, you might say landed in disguise, and is calling us all to take part in a great campaign of sabotage.
C.S. Lewis

Christ always calls us to life and constantly to greater joy, but rarely does He call us to comfort.
Mark Hart

The real Jesus is not a teddy bear. He’s a grizzly bear.
Father Mike Schmitz

Why do Catholics put Jesus on the cross instead of leaving it empty? Because it was Jesus, not the cross, who saved us.
Twitter: @makeadefense

It’s sad how many Christians no longer use crucifixes. What a beautiful reminder of how much we’re worth in His eyes.
Twitter: @Saints4theWeek

Jesus + Nothing = Everything

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟442,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Bishop Fulton J. Sheen, 1895-1979

Zingers from Bishop Fulton J. Sheen...
There are not more than 100 people in the world who truly hate the Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they perceive to be the Catholic Church.

A heckler asked Bishop Sheen a question about someone who had died. The Bishop replied, "I will ask him when I get to heaven." The heckler replied, "What if he isn't in Heaven?"
The Bishop replied, "Well then you ask him."

A man told Bishop Sheen he did not believe in hell. The Bishop replied,
"You will when you get there."

If we are to find the source of the life, truth, and love that is in the world, we have to go to a life that is not mingled with its shadow, death; to a truth that is not mingled with its shadow, error; to a love that is not mingled with its shadow, hate.

There were three sweet monotonies in His (Christs) life - thirty years obeying, three years teaching, three hours redeeming.

Every mother, when she picks up the young life that has been born to her, looks up to the heavens to thank GOD for the gift which made the world young again. But here was a Mother, a Madonna, who did not look up. She looked down to Heaven, for this was Heaven in her arms.

Hence He was given the name of Jesus, which means Savior. It was an irreplaceable name, before which the heavens and the earth trembled and before which our knees bow.

If any one of us could have made our own mother, we would have made her the most beautiful woman in the world.

Our brains today are big enough. Could it be that our hearts are too small?

Dirt is nothing more than matter which is in the wrong place.

Every theologian ought to be a mystic; every D.D., or Doctor of Divinity, ought to be a saint. He knows enough to be one, but he does not will it. I am a D.D., but I am not a saint.
May GOD have mercy on my soul.

As Our Lord said, "Where your treasure is, there is your heart also." Hence the least love of GOD is worth more than the knowledge of all created things.

Did you know that, in Heaven, an angel is a no-body?

Everything we do, whether good or evil, goes down into our unconscious mind... So at the end of every human life there will be pulled out of our subconscious or unconscious mind the record of every thought, word and deed. This will be the basis of our judgment.

The best definition of an adult that was ever given is one who has stopped growing at both ends and has begun to grow in the middle.

Not many men want to die to their lower selves; it costs so much. Some prefer to have a cosmic religion, which neither puts restraint on their pride nor curbs their passions.

We cannot like everyone, but we can love everyone.

When we say we fear GOD, we mean we shrink from hurting One Whom we love.

We do not need a voice that is right when everyone else is right. We need a voice that is right when everyone else is wrong.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

angelos17

May 9, 2016
Ghana
✟7,777.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow. Wow. Wow. I am so happy and fully blessed. I am not a denominational Catholic but I agree, believe, and accept all these true Christian words from the Archbishop. I am so deeply blessed by God's grace.

Would love to meet you in heaven WarriorAngel [emoji16]

Sent from my HTC D816w using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟442,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Wow. Wow. Wow. I am so happy and fully blessed. I am not a denominational Catholic but I agree, believe, and accept all these true Christian words from the Archbishop. I am so deeply blessed by God's grace.

Would love to meet you in heaven WarriorAngel [emoji16]

Sent from my HTC D816w using Tapatalk
Stick around - i made another thread about the Saints in the Church who were left untouched of decay...
God's miracle alone.

There are so so many... i haven't yet dug deeper into them.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟442,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Soooooooooooooooooooooo true.
People are free to do evil...
it is not from God, but from His foe.
Yet God is blamed.
However; how do we freely love God if we are mere puppets who have no choice?
Just as love must be given freely - we are not 'owned' or possessions - we are beings who are capable of loving.
So as it should be.

evil-and-free-will-cs-lewis.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Something came to me at Church when the priest quoted something from the satanic bible...that 'seems' like it makes sense...
'do unto others as they do to you.'
Which people can easily follow...because it's easier to give back bad.

But also i pondered the good meme's on FB.
So many of the good ones come from Christian sources and they are the most uplifting.
Although - most quotes are not credited to the chrstians.

I found this...which is pretty popular.

e087387d256bd66a7699c06dcd433c8f.jpg

Amen.

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0