Got news? Concerning a boring AP story that ignored info about controversial cardinal

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Want to read a really boring Associated Press news story?

You know, the kind of short hard-news, nothing-but-facts AP report in which an important person — Pope Francis, in this case — releases a list of appointees to some inside-baseball this or that, people who are either unknown or vaguely familiar to a dozen or so readers who are into that kind of thing?

In this case, one ends up with a boring headline — sure to appear in a few newspapers — that reads like this: “Pope renews cabinet of cardinal advisers, adds new members.” Here’s the riveting overture:

ROME (AP) — Pope Francis has renewed his cabinet of cardinal advisers from around the world, naming a handful of new members Tuesday and reconfirming others to help him run the Catholic Church.

Francis instituted the Council of Cardinals one month into his papacy, on April 13, 2013, with a primary goal of advising him on the reform of the Vatican bureaucracy. After nearly a decade of consultation, Francis issued a new blueprint for the Vatican bureaucracy last year.

Nevertheless, the Jesuit pope clearly appreciated the regular opportunities to consult with a small number of hand-picked cardinals representing the church on nearly every continent, and decided to keep the cabinet alive, albeit with some new members.

Now, would that story be a bit more interesting — “newsy” even — if it noted that one of the new members of this papal “inner ring” was a cardinal who, at this moment in time, may be the world’s most controversial prince of the church?

I mean, in this case we are talking about a cardinal who said the following, in an interview with KDA, a German news agency:

Continued below.

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
He did ask this in the end... :crossrc:

Is this Jesuit a possible Pope Francis-world candidate for the Chair of St. Peter? If so, reporters might want to check out this news-you-can-use feature at The Pillar.

Why would the AP avoid the obvious news hooks in this not-so-boring story?

Just asking. Again.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He did ask this in the end... :crossrc:

Is this Jesuit a possible Pope Francis-world candidate for the Chair of St. Peter? If so, reporters might want to check out this news-you-can-use feature at The Pillar.

Why would the AP avoid the obvious news hooks in this not-so-boring story?

Just asking. Again.
Does not fit the agenda. They are not going to shout it from the rooftops when there is a possibility of infiltrating the Church from the inside.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Does not fit the agenda. They are not going to shout it from the rooftops when there is a possibility of infiltrating the Church from the inside.
Speculation is something that gives us something to pray about, no doubt.

Upvote 0