• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Got Fired due to my ADD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADDgal

Jan 2, 2007
✟7,688.00
Faith
Christian
Okay here is my story,
I have been born with ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder); this is how Jesus Christ the Almighty has made me. Just like he made my father to have ADD. Many months ago I was ever so blessed to work as an admin at a church. Everything was working out wonderfully then ooops I made a terrible mistake. I confronted the Senior Pastor that I have indeed have, ADD and told him that I have paper work from my state to back this up. He told me that he wanted to see this paper work and even shared it with colleagues at the church. And he said that he was going to work around it for me. I did not mind, I thought he was doing this to help the job go easier for me. Everything was running smoothly. He even invited me and one of my best friends to his Holiday party. He got me gifts for the Holidays, and was always so gracious to me. My good friend, who has the gift of discernment, has a hesitation about him, and she has been a Christian for a lot longer than I. Anyway, I told her that he was just the nicest of people. She agreed to that but she said something was very off about him….
Today before my shift ended, he called into his office to fire me, and here is his excuse, I have ADD and it is not needed at that Church, In fact he told me that IF he know then, while he was interviewing possible candidates, that I had ADD that he would have NEVER hired me in the first place. I know his son graduated at literally one of the top universities in the nation, I think that some of this has to do with that he is a "smart snob".
Now here I am without a job…. Now what I want to know why is God doing this to me??? Is it that God has said that I am not good enough to work at a church OR does God want me far away from this possible FALSE Preacher? Advice please……….
I am really upset more than ever, I really thought working in a church was an excellent place to be at… but, right now I know I am wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I do not want to lose the faith but I feel really betrayed, I feel like a failure!!!!! What a way to start the new year!!!! :cry:
Please pray!!!

EIChief

The Brain
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh
Visit site
✟16,767.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Okay here is my story,
I have been born with ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder); this is how Jesus Christ the Almighty has made me. Just like he made my father to have ADD. Many months ago I was ever so blessed to work as an admin at a church. Everything was working out wonderfully then ooops I made a terrible mistake. I confronted the Senior Pastor that I have indeed have, ADD and told him that I have paper work from my state to back this up. He told me that he wanted to see this paper work and even shared it with colleagues at the church. And he said that he was going to work around it for me. I did not mind, I thought he was doing this to help the job go easier for me. Everything was running smoothly. He even invited me and one of my best friends to his Holiday party. He got me gifts for the Holidays, and was always so gracious to me. My good friend, who has the gift of discernment, has a hesitation about him, and she has been a Christian for a lot longer than I. Anyway, I told her that he was just the nicest of people. She agreed to that but she said something was very off about him….
Today before my shift ended, he called into his office to fire me, and here is his excuse, I have ADD and it is not needed at that Church, In fact he told me that IF he know then, while he was interviewing possible candidates, that I had ADD that he would have NEVER hired me in the first place. I know his son graduated at literally one of the top universities in the nation, I think that some of this has to do with that he is a "smart snob".
Now here I am without a job…. Now what I want to know why is God doing this to me??? Is it that God has said that I am not good enough to work at a church OR does God want me far away from this possible FALSE Preacher? Advice please……….
I am really upset more than ever, I really thought working in a church was an excellent place to be at… but, right now I know I am wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I do not want to lose the faith but I feel really betrayed, I feel like a failure!!!!! What a way to start the new year!!!! :cry:
Please pray!!!

This brings to light a few different issues

First I would like to say that those with ADD do have trouble keeping a job, but that is because of the effects caused by it and not simply having a diagnoses. If you have the ADD under control through medication or have found alternative methods of dealing with it, and I assume you have since nobody knew you suffered from it, then you really should not have been fired just because you are diagnosed with the disability. If it is true that you were fired strictly on the basis that you were diagnosed ADD then there are serious problems with that both legally and ethically.

Second, putting the legal issue of this aside, please do not let this situation at your church tarnish your image of Religion or Christianity. Keep in mind that you serve God first and the Church is a simply a place by which you are given the tools to do so. Your relationship is with God and that is what you should hold fast to. Never get the idea that because a Church treats you unfairly that you are not able to serve God, or that they represent the face of Christianity. Church leaders are human and they make mistakes.

Finally, understand that you are not a failure. This is an all too common disability that more and more people are becoming aware of. There are plenty of ways and places that you can serve, you simply need to find those situations and apply yourself. You can also seek help from support groups and your counselor/doctor in order to prevent the negative aspects of the disability from effecting your daily life.

Develop your relationship with God and listen to the new direction he has for you.

Reactions: day2day
Upvote 0

nateboy

Aug 13, 2006
Washington
✟7,949.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
YIKES! I don't think you getting fired for ADD is a legal matter because the church is considered private and non profit. I do not work in the legal field but that is my take on it. I am pretty sure I am right. You have protections practically at any job but a religious organization. You would definitely have a legal case on your hands if you had worked for a company.

With that said, this guy sounds more of the world. He has some serious issues. Don't take this the wrong way, but I am glad that happened because you don't want to work for a guy that believes that way. That is horrible. He has issues. Perhaps you will find another job in a church or the Lord may be leading you to a different profession. Just pray that the Lord directs you to where he wants us.

Upvote 0

cinnabunch

Jun 21, 2006
Maryland
Visit site
✟544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
well, I feel it is a legal matter...he can't fire you because your ADD, only if you arn't performing your job because of your ADD.

One big point I wanted to make here...is just because it was a "man of God" who fired you...do not blame God for the decisions other ppl have made who claim to serve Him.

Sweety....if you do this...you will never know God as He truly is...and You will never experience what He has for you. It is like blaming a parent who's 25 year old son robbed a bank. That parent may have done everything right...but that child made his own decision.

blessings
cindy

Upvote 0

nateboy

Aug 13, 2006
Washington
✟7,949.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
http://www.christianitytoday.com/yc/9y4/9y4054.html

Actually, what happened is completely ethically wrong, but it would be hard to sue a church and have a solid legal basis...read the article in Christianity today. There are many more articles pertaining to this issue. Some churches would be liable...it depends.

I agree with cinnabunch - don't blame God. God allowed you to have ADD for a reason just like he allowed me to have it.

Upvote 0

thepotterisstillworking

Apr 4, 2006
✟15,217.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Read up on the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

NO ONE can fire you because you have ADD. It is against the law! They have to work with you to accomodate for any disability, so long as you can properly get your job done. Only if you absolutely cannot fullfil your duties can they let you go, but they have to have at least tried to accomodate you.

So your 'pastor' telling you that you are fired because you have ADD...well, again, that's against the law. And I honestly would think twice about calling such a person your 'pastor'.

Upvote 0

nateboy

Aug 13, 2006
Washington
✟7,949.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
[FONT=&quot]I do not work in the legal field but due to my career, I NEED to know about the IDEA and ADA in order to even function. I believe that the above case can be a lawsuit but wouldn't be won. I do believe situations like this should be, though!! I have ADHD and that just made me mad!!!
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Read the article I mentioned above and the one mentioned below. I took out a few pieces of each article. I hate to say it but most churches are exempt!!! It doesn't seem right, I know.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]disability-abuse.com/cando/documents/ADAandPractice.rtf[/SIZE]

[FONT=&quot]The law exempts private clubs and churches - the same groups already exempt from the Civil Rights Act. However, the Department of Justice explains that, just as with the Civil Rights Act, if a church runs a day care center open to the public, that day care center is considered a place of public accommodation and must comply with the law. Thus, your responsibility is to provide all of your services in sites that are accessible, even if the site is exempt.[/FONT]

Below is the Christianity Today article that I mentioned in the above link.

Violation of civil rights. The Civil Rights Act, passed in 1964, will not permit an employer from discharging workers on the basis of race, gender, religion, or physical abilities. But it applies only to businesses that affect commerce with other states and employ at least 15 workers for each workday over a period of at least 20 calendar weeks.
Churches do not typically affect commerce, although they may be categorized as such if they run a school or a retirement home that orders supplies or accepts patients or students from out of state, and if they employ at least 15 employees.

A church is not prohibited from hiring only workers of a particular religion. This is true of hiring clergy as well as people for other church positions. Denominational churches are free to hire an office manager or a music director who can do the job more efficiently because each knows the denomination's particular traditions.

Age discrimination. The Age Discrimination in Employment Act, passed in 1967, prohibits employees from firing people 40 years old or older because of age, but it applies only to businesses with at least 20 employees whose work affects commerce. The more recent Americans With Disabilities Act prohibits discrimination against employees with physical or mental impairments, but it affects only businesses with at least 15 employees. Most churches, therefore, will be exempt from federal regulations and can discharge employees on any basis they see fit.

Upvote 0

adylynn

May 28, 2007
Ohio
✟15,120.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
In my understanding of the law, even though it's a church, it's still illegal to be fired after disclosing an ADA protected "disability."

I'm so sorry that, of all places, this happend at a church! That is just so sad to me.

I have a feeling that this decision stems out of ignorance. I would pray about this, but I would talk to the pastor--not to get your job back--but your dignity. Hopefully, a little education would help him to avoid such harshness in the future.

God bless!

Upvote 0

Knightlock

Sep 8, 2008
✟15,160.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Okay here is my story,
Please pray!!!

First of all I am saddened by what you went through as I had a similar experience with the religion I grew up with. They were very unsympathetic what I was going through as one who has ADD. It is painful enough for people around that avoid you (or at least they did this to me) let alone to have it done by "Christians."

Unfortunately there is little you can do about it as people are right, it is not consdered a public business. I find it amazing that there are times where it seems that people in the world have more compassion than people who say that they worship God.

Anyway I feel for what you are going through and please try to realise that you are not alone.

Upvote 0

technofox

Jun 12, 2007
Earth
✟17,131.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Okay here is my story,
Please pray!!!

Its not God's fault, He loves you. I too have ADD and work at a position that is very detail oriented. My biggest problem is being distracted easily, but my boss is very understanding, and I feel blessed by it. Today I had botched things up pretty bad and tried to correct it at work. Hopefully, nothing will come of it. I know how bad the struggle is; it's not that God is angry with you. I assume you accepted Christ as your savior and Lord, and therefore you are one of his children.

I believe God wants you to be somewhere else. This not bad thing, yeah getting fired really stinks, but I see it for your case that God has something else in mind for you. ADD can be a blessing because people with it can hyper-focus and generally think on their feet.

You may want to consider taking medicine to help control the worst problems of ADD.

I am not going to judge your pastor, but I think God is calling you into a different direction. I work in IT, a very detail oriented field and my ADD has been a blessing and a curse. My constant problems are organization and attention to detail; however, being able to tap into my imagination compensates with quick thinking and finding quick solutions to solve problems.

Look at both sides of the coin in regards to ADD; you are not a bad person because of ADD. Pray to God and ask him to show you where He wants you to go. God is your shepard and he will lead you and protect you, read PSALMS 23.

Any ways, I will be praying for you. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Stephen Kendall

believer of Jesus Christ
Sep 28, 2008
USA
✟9,673.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Trust in God and not in the ways of the world, for God is able to fill where the world empties by its deceit and shameful lusts. The pastor isn't right and God will judge him. Pride and ego leads men towards shame and everlasting death. I feel sorry for your pastor. He will march on towards his everlasting self-created hell. Please pray for him. I am so surprised with the great intelligence of man that he can not even see the plain things of God, given to us by the teachings of Christ Jesus! I guess there are two kinds of blindnesses. One of love (innocent and decent) and one of pride (mocking God and insuring condemnation). The pride of men constantly mock God through their cunning disobedience, yet the double edge sword of truth will find its way between the lies and shame of them. Indeed pray for this man whom you have seen to stumble before the Word of God. Forgive him and pray for him.

It will be a wonderful day of rest, when all this mess of the world and its deceit will be judged and dwelt with. It will be rolled up and we will be with God, as our Father. Our place is not our rights, but our light to shine in darkness. Love this man and pray.

Upvote 0

HolyWarrior77

For we all have a Father!
Feb 21, 2009
✟8,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I also have A.D.H.D.

I take Desipramine for it.

Sue the jerk. He more than deserves it.

NO NO NO, do not take the Pastor to court. He may also be his former employer, but he is and will forever be his brother. This is the exact thing that was mentioned in the Bible, not going to court before unbelievers against your brother in Christ.

What he needs to do is talk to him alone. If he doesn't understand after talking to him, he should mention scripture as to an unbeliever. After everything has been said, forgive him and move on. He should follow in Christs footsteps and chose forgiveness if he 'feels' he was fired on a wrong basis. He should Love his pastor MORE if that is the case, not hold any type of grudge against his brother.

Bible said:
1 Corinthians 6:5-8 (NKJV) 5 I say this to your shame. Is it so, that there is not a wise man among you, not even one, who will be able to judge between his brethren? 6 But brother goes to law against brother, and that before unbelievers!
7 Now therefore, it is already an utter failure for you that you go to law against one another. Why do you not rather accept wrong? Why do you not rather let yourselves be cheated? 8 No, you yourselves do wrong and cheat, and you do these things to your brethren!

Matthew 18:15-17 (NKJV)
15 “Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother. 16 But if he will not hear, take with you one or two more, that ‘by the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.’ 17 And if he refuses to hear them, tell it to the church. But if he refuses even to hear the church, let him be to you like a heathen and a tax collector.

Luke 6:37 (NKJV)
37 “Judge not, and you shall not be judged. Condemn not, and you shall not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.