London, UK
✟830,301.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is zero contemporary accounts of Jesus' life. Josephus' account is widely accepted as interpolation by a zealous scribe centuries later, and Tacitus' account is written decades after the death of Jesus. If Jesus had made half the impact you suggest on society, there should be hundreds of accounts of his existence... but there's not.

I did not cite the testimonium Flavius. There are other uncontroversial references to the early church in Josephus for example the reference to James the brother of Jesus and leader of the early church. But in fact there is also an Arabic version of the testimonium Flavius which is less flattering to Christ but describes His life. If you read the Antiquities of the Jews you will find lots of references. I think you underestimate the bitterness against Christ by those who opposed him and especially in Jerusalems intellectual elite . Basically by his miracles, popularity and denounciations of their hypocrisy he completely undermined them. Also a great many records were lost as a result of the Roman siege in 70AD

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟830,301.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does that give you confidence that the gospels were true eyewitness accounts?

No my confidence is in Christ and in the scriptures that speak of Him. But a case can be argued here, as required, for those on the fringes who think wrongly that this is the only evidence that matters.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I did not cite the testimonium Flavius. There are other uncontroversial references to the early church in Josephus for example the reference to James the brother of Jesus and leader of the early church. But in fact there is also an Arabic version of the testimonium Flavius which is less flattering to Christ but describes His life. If you read the Antiquities of the Jews you will find lots of references. I think you underestimate the bitterness against Christ by those who opposed him and especially in Jerusalems intellectual elite . Basically by his miracles, popularity and denounciations of their hypocrisy he completely undermined them. Also a great many records were lost as a result of the Roman siege in 70AD

*turn the volume down... the music is terrible.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
No my confidence is in Christ and in the scriptures that speak of Him. But a case can be argued here, as required, for those on the fringes who think wrongly that this is the only evidence that matters.
What's the basis for your confidence in Christ and your scriptures?

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟830,301.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What's the basis for your confidence in Christ and your scriptures?

Personal experience of Christ in my life.

Christ demonstrates and reveals the only God worth knowing or loving in this universe.

Scriptures answer all the major questions.

No other worldview remotely compares in terms of quality of message, Credibility, transformative power, intimacy of connection, providing real grounds for hope.

The relationships I have with other members of the church confirm and affirm Christ.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Christ demonstrates and reveals the only God worth knowing or loving in this universe.

No other worldview remotely compares in terms of quality of message, Credibility, transformative power, intimacy of connection, providing real grounds for hope.

The relationships I have with other members of the church confirm and affirm Christ.
This could be said by anyone of any faith. What sets yours apart from others?

Upvote 0

Barney2.0

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The gospels were never signed by their authors and the earliest copied manuscripts never had titles. They were given the titles several centuries later by early church leaders. This is not even debated by scholars.
Sorry, but that simply isn’t true, you never read anything I gave you. The original and earliest manuscripts were named after their respective authors.

upload_2018-5-31_20-6-15.jpeg

(Codex Sinaiticus, “According to Luke”)

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, but that simply isn’t true, you never read anything I gave you. The original and earliest manuscripts were named after their respective authors.

Produce our earliest copy, and show where it is titled or signed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

View attachment 229893

The CS is not an early copy of the gospel mss.

Upvote 0

Barney2.0

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I wouldn’t deem Bart Ehrman a reliable source, because here’s what he said about the New Testament:

“Ehrman and Metzger state in that book that we can have a high degree of confidence that we can reconstruct the original text of the New Testament, the text that is in the Bibles we use, because of the abundance of textual evidence we have to compare. The variations are largely minor and don’t obscure our ability to construct an accurate text. The 4th edition of this work was published in 2005 – the same year Ehrman published Misquoting Jesus, which relies on the same body of information and offers no new or different evidence to state the opposite conclusion.”

It would be very hard to do the that with an anonymously written text.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟830,301.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Big assumption on the dating which basically ignores the possibility of prophecy.

The whole thing is false or uses truthes in a false framework. So you will have to focus on a specific if you want to discuss this. Please keep it relevant to the OP

Upvote 0

Barney2.0

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The CS is not an early copy of the gospel mss.
Yes, it is one of the earliest copies of the Gospels and since the Gospels haven’t really changed since then we can safely assume it to be reliable.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private

*nods*

I can appreciate that sentiment.

I would say similarly about my personal experiences with the Buddha's message.

Reactions: HitchSlap
Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟830,301.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

View attachment 229893

Codex Sinaticus is dated centuries after the formation of the gospels. My understanding is that the 4 gospels were in fact not signed by authors who did not want to draw any attention to themselves at the expense of Christ. John calls himself "the disciple Jesus loves" to point out he is a direct witness but without distracting from Christ. Apparently sacred history as with Joshua in the OT followed a similar format of anonymity. In fact it was the later false gospels like of Peter and Thomas where the signing started. So it seems the later church added a title page to distinguish from the false gospels and as a part of a formal process that would lead to the formation of the canon. When the evangelists wrote the gospels they were the only show in town so they hardly needed to claim an authority everybody already understood.

Upvote 0