• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Gospel: Fisher of Men = Promise of money?

Discussion in 'Christian Apologetics' started by radhead, Jul 19, 2017.

1. radhead

radhead Contributor

+548
    Seeker
    Single
    That's practically the LITERAL message of the passage. You can't deny that. It seems like people would have to be living in complete darkness to miss this obvious message.

• Prayers Prayers x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. -V-

-V- Well-Known Member

+495
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Yes, I can deny it. All you've given is your interpretation. You're the first person I've ever seen to make such a claim like that. I don't see it "literally" saying that at all. I don't see your interpretation present in the slightest in that passage.

• Prayers Prayers x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. radhead

radhead Contributor

+548
    Seeker
    Single
    You know yourself that if a story contains magic and supernatural elements, then the author's intent is to teach a moral or lesson of some kind. It is not supposed to be taken literally. You know that.

So you have the burden of proving that the author's intent (in this one special case) was to be taken literally.

4. -V-

-V- Well-Known Member

+495
    Non-Denom
    Single
    If we reject that there's a God who isn't bound by the laws of physics, then sure. Christians, however, don't reject that. So just because a Bible account contains details that go against the laws of physics doesn't automatically make it fiction, from a Christian perspective.

I have no such "burden of proof", because whether that account is literal or allegorical doesn't matter for the question you're asking.

5. bhsmte

bhsmte Newbie

+11,562
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    How do you interpret the passage?

6. radhead

radhead Contributor

+548
    Seeker
    Single
    That's not the only place where future converts are compared to food (or money). In Acts 10 Peter sees a sheet full of animals descending from the sky (like a tablecloth of food.) And the future (gentile) converts are declared to no longer be "unclean".

7. possibletarian

possibletarian Active Member

+105
    United Kingdom
    Agnostic
    Single
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    See, I don't see that in that passage, unclean animals would not have been considered food by Peter. So far as i can tell the lesson was clear that Peter was not to reject the gentiles as unclean, because god had declared them clean, and so starting Peter's ministry to the gentiles.

I don't think fishers of men can be interpreted in the way you have either, again the meaning seems clear, go gather men. I don't think these things were meant to be over thought. As a non believer I tend to shake my head at some of the interpretation or overreaching Christians seem to do with scripture without other non believers doing it.