✟14,181.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
GOP's problem with Latinos -- as big as Texas - CNN.com

San Diego, California (CNN) -- In Texas, where voters will go to the polls on Tuesday, politics can be brutal.

Case in point: the Republican primary for the U.S. Senate seat being vacated by Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison. It's rough and dirty and personal. And, whether it ends Tuesday or continues on to a run-off on July 28, it could blow up all the bridges that Republicans in Texas built over the years to Hispanic voters.

This is because, in the 11th hour, the primary went down a muddy road. That is, if you think that accusing a candidate with a Spanish surname of favoring "amnesty" for illegal immigrants -- with no evidence to back it up -- is hitting below the belt because it raises questions about divided loyalties and feeds into the perception that all Hispanics favor open borders and unlimited immigration.

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Cruz sounds like a good candidate, and that ad sounds thin... but so does the author's claim why the group did it. More likely, they knew amnesty is a big deal in TX and waited until the last moment to make a claim that'd hurt him. It's in poor judgement to blame race because the guy's last name "sounds Hispanic."
The fact that he used some git emailing him to "prove his point" just makes him look silly. Remember that NC "pastor" who was rambling about gays? I've had stupid atheists tell me that's what they'd do to religious people. It'd be like me using an email from them to "prove" that a major faction in the atheist group want to make death camps for Christians.

Upvote 0

SOAD

Why do they always send the poor? (S.O.A.D.)
Jul 20, 2006
✟7,778.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Most Hispanics that are here legally support tougher enforcement on illegal immigration, along with reforming the system of legal immigration which is exactly what the repubs support. The only reason that repubs have a problem with Hispanics is because of the one's here that can (illegally) vote, something dems seem to have no problem with since they vehemently oppose anything that's been suggested to get that problem solved.

Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Let's not forget the GOP's problem with women, blacks. gays and most all other groups not white. I cannot understand why anybody would support such a party.

The GOP's only problem with those groups comes from the fact that the Dems have managed to masterfully create the illusion that Repubs somehow have a problem with those groups. I can't understand why anyone would support a party that is so devoid of actual ideas and solutions that they have to stoop to such blatant fearmongering as the Dems do.

Upvote 0

SOAD

Why do they always send the poor? (S.O.A.D.)
Jul 20, 2006
✟7,778.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The GOP's only problem with those groups comes from the fact that the Dems have managed to masterfully create the illusion that Repubs somehow have a problem with those groups. I can't understand why anyone would support a party that is so devoid of actual ideas and solutions that they have to stoop to such blatant fearmongering as the Dems do.
blame the dems

LOL

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WilliamB

Apr 21, 2011
Miami, FL
✟2,869.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
WilliamB,

You seem to be making the same mistake as what the article claims is the Republican mistake -- that all Hispanics favor an open border. The fact is that Romney, likely in part because of his "extreme immigration position", will win Texas in November.

Um, you do know that Texas is a red state right? :scratch:

Upvote 0

WilliamB

Apr 21, 2011
Miami, FL
✟2,869.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Most Hispanics that are here legally support tougher enforcement on illegal immigration, along with reforming the system of legal immigration which is exactly what the repubs support. The only reason that repubs have a problem with Hispanics is because of the one's here that can (illegally) vote, something dems seem to have no problem with since they vehemently oppose anything that's been suggested to get that problem solved.

Most Hispanics support the Dream Act which the GOP apposed and continues to do so. The GOP prefers self deportation and building fences. Sorry, not gonna find many Hispanics that support self deportation and fences.

Upvote 0

WilliamB

Apr 21, 2011
Miami, FL
✟2,869.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

No, I think the GOP did that all by themselves. Now that it's election time, the chickens are coming home to roost. Maybe they'll try pandering again and pick Rubio. I'm getting Palin flashbacks. :doh:

Upvote 0

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Here in Texas it's the Perry conservative vs. the tea drinkers® conservative. The debates have been nasty and the race follows suit. the end result will be a runoff between the two big names of Cruz and Dewhurst due to the participation of two other not so big name conservatives who hadn't been offered tea to drink. So we will get yet another whole month of the dirty ads and innuendos.

Joy...

In November it will be a slam dunk for the winner of that runoff as the Dem won't have a chance. But hey! If I don't vote for him then why even have a campaign?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Here in Texas it's the Perry conservative vs. the tea drinkers® conservative. The debates have been nasty and the race follows suit. the end result will be a runoff between the two big names of Cruz and Dewhurst due to the participation of two other not so big name conservatives who hadn't been offered tea to drink. So we will get yet another whole month of the dirty ads and innuendos.

Joy...

In November it will be a slam dunk for the winner of that runoff as the Dem won't have a chance. But hey! If I don't vote for him then why even have a campaign?

I guess True Believers don't have pull down there, eh?

Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Most Hispanics support the Dream Act which the GOP apposed and continues to do so. The GOP prefers self deportation and building fences. Sorry, not gonna find many Hispanics that support self deportation and fences.

Hispanics that immigrated here legally have some of the harsher positions against illegal immigration out there.

Upvote 0

Panzerkamfwagen

Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.
May 19, 2015
✟19,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hispanics that immigrated here legally have some of the harsher positions against illegal immigration out there.

If I was an immigrant, I would, too.

Every single "undocumented immigrant" is a criminal. Every. Single. One.

Upvote 0