San Diego, CA, USA
✟20,180.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Lately i have this friend who is haveing some struggles with her faith she says she there are some great people out there and she doesnt see a loving and just God sending them to ETERNAL pain. Because they didn't really think he was there.
And i can understand her struggles with this, how can God send people who have lived good lives but still send them to hell. It could be said that God does not sent people to Hel,l that we send ourselves there. Because he makes the door way open, we just have to choose to walk through it. What is others thoughts on this?

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
God doesn't send people to hell, they choose to go there on their own because they refuse to admit they are sinners who need a savior. Each person makes the choice for her/himself. God does not force anyone to go to hell, nor does it force them to be in heaven with Him. But why would a person who rejects Christ all their life want to go to heaven anyway? That's where God is! It's the last place they would want to be!

Upvote 0

Gwenyfur

Legend
Dec 18, 2004
Everywhere
✟66,698.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
Matthew 7
17Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

18A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

19Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

20Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

24Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

25And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

26And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: 27And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Not all who are "good" people will go to heaven....we all make a choice...we either choose to believe that Jesus the Christ was the Son of God, died for our sins, resurrected the 3rd day and now sits at the right hand of the Father...or we don't. If a person has not asked Him to be Lord of their life....then they are going to hell...we are saved by grace not by works!

Romans 3:24
Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

Romans 4:16
Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all,

Ephesians 2:8
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

2 Timohty 1:9
Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

Upvote 0

Sword-In-Hand

Born again to raze hell
Nov 27, 2003
ky
✟17,362.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
We have to determine the word "good" in this situation. Compared to other people, there are some really good natured and benevolent people, but when compared to Jesus Christ, there is nothing good about us.

By our understanding of good, we think we need to measure up to the other person, but in honesty we have to measure up to God and that is impossible. That is why He sent Jesus.

Like LL said, it's a choice to go to heaven or hell. They don't want to be with God or believe in His Son, so they have the option of not living with Him for eternity. Unfortunately the only other place of eternal existence is hell. It is not God's fault where people choose to go.

Upvote 0

Flynmonkie

The First Official FrankenMonkie ;)
Feb 23, 2004
Home of Harry Truman - Missouri
Visit site
✟20,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Nova Scotian Boy said:
It could be said that God does not sent people to Hel,l that we send ourselves there. Because he makes the door way open, we just have to choose to walk through it. What is others thoughts on this?
:wave:
First thought? It needs to be clear to your friend people are NOT good in any way shape or form without God. I wonder when people will "get" this?? It is just that simple. We are incapable of this. Only salvation through Christ can we find justification before God. And the power to overcome.Satan can act like a good thing too – until that big set of teeth is sitting there waiting for you!

Second thought. So why can't He send us away? We know that our works do not get us into heaven it is our FAITH in Him. Our works should be the product of the Holy Spirit working in ones life. Who are we to claim to have more knowledge of Gods mind - especially when we are instructed not to. So is she saying that God doesn’t know what He is doing? I don't think that is what she means! She needs to learn more about Our Fathers love and mercy. God does not want us to Fear Him by threat, He wants our love and fear out of awe and respect for the love He has shown us. Think of a mentor in your life, someone you look up to. A father, A friend, etc.. You respect them because of their love for you...or even in awe in accomplishments. That is how your relationship should start with God.

Third thought. You should talk with your friend about allowing God to do His job and worry about whom is headed to hell or not. This is not our responsibility as Christians. Our responsibility is to share the gospel - effectively. Allowing the Holy Spirit to work through us. We don’t have to do anything in this area, but allow the Holy Spirit to direct our lives. And if we are doing our job right, the Holy Spirit does His job too.

IMVHO :)

Upvote 0
D

Dmckay

Nova Scotian Boy said:
Lately i have this friend who is haveing some struggles with her faith she says she there are some great people out there and she doesnt see a loving and just God sending them to ETERNAL pain. Because they didn't really think he was there.
And i can understand her struggles with this, how can God send people who have lived good lives but still send them to hell. It could be said that God does not sent people to Hel,l that we send ourselves there. Because he makes the door way open, we just have to choose to walk through it. What is others thoughts on this?
Good by who's standards? Man's? All of man's righteousnesses are as filthy rags in the eyes of G-d. She thinks they have an excuse because they didn't really think He was there? Have her read Romans 1 in the translation of her choice. And considering your second paragraph, I suggest that you read it also, but read chapters 1-5. Your thinking about G-d and salvation is a bit fuzzy.

Upvote 0

aReformedPatriot

Ron Paul for President!
Oct 30, 2004
Visit site
✟13,811.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
The Bible says there is none good, no not one and as such it is prideful to say anything but that. While it is true that some people appear to be better than others the darkest thing a person can do is reject the Glroy of almighty God. By and large laziness to study it for themselves is a huge factor among the populace and of those who do probably search for answers that support their own doubts. If that is the case have they really sought after God with their whole heart as scripture garuntees that if we do he will reveal himself?

Brethren we should not get caught up in a half gospel, that is to emphasize God's love over his justice. Justice demands retribution and punishment, one need only look to our own justice system for a drab comparasin. In light of that, how could anyone call God unjust, the one who sent his son to die for the sins of the world?

Upvote 0

Nova Scotian Boy

Grand Sasquatch
Jan 19, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
✟20,180.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
So is she saying that God doesn’t know what He is doing?

No she, just seems to have trouble understanding why God would have something like hell. She isnt rejecting God because of this, its just seems to be shakeing up her faith. I think she has had a friend or family member who is Non-Christian die recently and so thats where this stems from. I am not struggling with is, for many of the reasons stated here, i was just thinking about it after speaking with her and i understood were she was comeing from.

Upvote 0

Flynmonkie

The First Official FrankenMonkie ;)
Feb 23, 2004
Home of Harry Truman - Missouri
Visit site
✟20,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
;)
Nova Scotian Boy said:
No she, just seems to have trouble understanding why God would have something like hell. She isnt rejecting God because of this, its just seems to be shakeing up her faith. I think she has had a friend or family member who is Non-Christian die recently and so thats where this stems from. I am not struggling with is, for many of the reasons stated here, i was just thinking about it after speaking with her and i understood were she was comeing from.

Well I guess I would try to explain to her the whole concept of sin. Confusion, Sin along with pain, suffering etc... These are not from God. It is really hard to grasp the concept of Hell if you have yet to have a full grasp on salvation. But you have to remember, we have no ability to judge another’s heart in this manner. The person in question whom has passed, might have reached out to God at the last minute?!

Just like any father, if He instructs His child, do not play in the street. And the child feels that it will be OK just this once, and is Hit and killed at that moment. Was it the Fathers fault that the child dies? No, it was the child’s disobedience. Does God have power to stop it? Yes, however He gives us free will. And if God tells us not to play in the street, and we don't listen. There is not much He can do about it.

Just as our Human fathers here....there would be no point if they walked around controlling our every action. God works through us true, can He control us in that manner, sure! But He does not, that is part of His glorious mercy!

As mentioned here earlier. We have a choice to make, to build a lasting relationship of obedience with our father. Or it is too late for Him to help us.

Silly analogy I know, does this help?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
D

Dmckay

Nova Scotian Boy said:
There is a book of sermons called Eternal Retribution written by a preacher named Munsey that has one of the best Biblical expositions of Scripture on the Just Necessity of Eternal Retribution.
the book is Out of Print and difficult to find, but I just ordered a copy of it. I plan on digitizing that chapter and posting it when the book arrives in the mail.

Upvote 0

BT

Fanatic
Jan 29, 2003
Canada
Visit site
✟3,880.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Nova Scotian Boy said:

Hell is a difficult thing to understand unless you realize that Hell was not created as a place of punishment for people. Hell was not created for people:

Matthew 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

We were not created for Hell or punishment. We were created to worship God and fellowship with him. But Adam...

God is not "Just" if He does not punish us. God is actually just if He throws us all into Hell. However, God loves us and so offers us a way to redemption, and the only way that still maintains His Justice - a way that requires nothing of us, a way that we could never earn or make ourselves. Couldn't God just bring everyone into heaven regardless? No, because He would not be just.

I witness to a lot of folks, and I hear the same kind of thing all the time; "I'm a good person. I live my life right and don't hurt people."

My question to them after that statement is, "Does it matter what God says?"

To answer no reveals the sin. To answer yes opens the door...

It's His Kingdom, He is sovereign and He determined the requirements for entrance. Therefore if His requirements are not met (yet are offered and available to all) He is absolutely just in granting or denying entrance.

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Legend-but then so's Keith Richards
Feb 4, 2005
Curtis Loew's House w/Kid Rock & Hank III
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ask your friend if she has ever provided a person with total care... Food, clothing given them a job, house, car, money to spend, etc. Been there everytime that someone needed anything, then been treated as though she did not exist.

Ask her if she made them a beautiful place to live in then had them pile it up w/trash and not clean it up.

Ask her if she ever took them somewhere and paid the whole way, food, hotel, gas and showed them something she thought was beautiful only to have that person say--I'm bored, I don't have time to do what you want and you are nothing but a selfish control freak and then... ask her how she might that really good person...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
People often wonder why finite sin deserves infinite punishment, but they shy away from that logic as they try to squeeze through the gates of heaven. We must also ask: why do finite good deeds require an eternal reward? It's impossible to accumulate enough good works to gain eternal life. I suppose God's justice might be satisfied if the afterlife consisted of 80-100 years of paradise. But since the soul is an immortal being, we can't merit the type of reward that God wants to give us.

Paul asks some important questions when he says this:
But the righteousness based on faith says, "Do not say in your heart, 'Who will ascend into heaven?'" (that is, to bring Christ down) or "'Who will descend into the abyss?'" (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead). (Romans 10:6-7)

The point is that we can do nothing to gain eternal life, which is why God did it all. But it's not as if we play no role at all in our salvation. Paul is quoting the Law which says this:

For this commandment that I command you today is not too hard for you, neither is it far off. It is not in heaven, that you should say, 'Who will ascend to heaven for us and bring it to us, that we may hear it and do it?' Neither is it beyond the sea, that you should say, 'Who will go over the sea for us and bring it to us, that we may hear it and do it?' But the word is very near you. It is in your mouth and in your heart, so that you can do it. (Deuteronomy 30:11-14)
This Scripture makes perfect sense when we read "the word" as Christ. As important as good deeds are to the Christian lifestyle, they don't save us. But God has done that for us, so that we now have the ability to merit salvation through Christ.

I suppose it isn't necessary to throw Scripture at your friend. The point I'm trying to make is that those who believe that good unbelievers don't deserve hell are faced with a difficult question: why should a finite number of good deeds merit an infinite reward? Personally I think the Gospel makes more sense.

Upvote 0

aReformedPatriot

Ron Paul for President!
Oct 30, 2004
Visit site
✟13,811.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Nova Scotian Boy said:

There are good people? :eek:

Where?????

We are creatures living a life that is in rebellion to its creator. Since we are creatures we are wholly dependent on God's grace. God opened the door through the cross, so one can essentially say the ball is his court. God has two aspects to his nature, Holiness (Justice) and Love. Do not over emphasize the love. The bible says God does not delight in the death of the wicked but it would contradict himself if he did not justly punish those who rebel against him, especially after people reject Christ which is a rejection of God.

1 Cor 1:18 has always helped me in evangelism.

And because we are creatures we have a responsibility to God. Our created purpose is to give glory to God, and he created us for his glory. If your friend says "what an egotistical God" you merely say "who is God robbing glory from, who deserves glory more than he does? He is the creator, he made all things, he deserves glory." It would be egotistical for man to claim glory for himself as he is a creature not a creator. Which is what man does when they refuse to believe in and trust in God.

Upvote 0

mesue

Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Aug 24, 2003
Visit site
✟32,662.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Nova Scotian Boy said:
Lately i have this friend who is haveing some struggles with her faith she says she there are some great people out there and she doesnt see a loving and just God sending them to ETERNAL pain. ...
This is a Cafeteria Style/Dessert Buffet view of God.The views of "What ever tastes good to me and makes me feel good" views of God. Forgeting that God is a jealous God, He is a righteous God and a God that judges.
Yes, He is the God of love, hope and comfort, but He is so much more than that.

KJV said:
Deuteronomy 6:15 (For the LORD thy God is a jealous God among you) lest the anger of the LORD thy God be kindled against thee, and destroy thee from off the face of the earth.
KJV said:
Psalms 7:9 Oh let the wickedness of the wicked come to an end; but establish the just: for the righteous God trieth the hearts and reins.
KJV said:
Malachi 2:17 Ye have wearied the LORD with your words. Yet ye say, Wherein have we wearied him? When ye say, Every one that doeth evil is good in the sight of the LORD, and he delighteth in them; or, Where is the God of judgment?
These people have a false sense of self in thinking that they are "good" when Jesus clearly says that NOBODY is good. He didn't even refer to Himself as good.
KJV said:
Mark 10:18 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.

Upvote 0
£

£amb

Nova Scotian Boy said:

I have a brother-in-law who is not a believer. He is a wonderful person though, he would give his right arm to help someone in need. Does being simply "good" put you in heaven? No, it doesn't. If being a good person is all it takes to receive eternal life, then what Jesus did was useless. He died for nothing if being good is all it takes. Many people have a hard time dealing with this. How can a loving God do this? How can a loving God put everything in front of a person to point them towards Jesus and have this individual still reject Him?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.