"Good man" is an oxymoron

They rally 'round the family
Feb 23, 2008
✟12,217.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Please don't flame me, but I'm beginning to think this is true. :doh:The words "good" and "man" don't seem to fit into the same sentence anymore. :(

Stardate 4837.2: I know exactly what leo means in her thread about "good" and "man" being oxymorons. It's cus all the goodies are nerds, not men. :\

Upvote 0

GQ Chris

ooey gooey is for brownies, not Bible teachers
Jan 17, 2005
Golden State
✟45,842.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Are you dating/interested in these men on looks alone? :confused:

I remember in the movie Shallow Hal that his friend looked for every little problem to break up with the woman. He even broke up with that beautiful model because he didn't like the way her toes looked! There are guys who are exactly like that. To one man your "problem" may be nothing to worry about, but to another, that "problem" may be a deal breaker.

watch

Shallow Hal, lol.

Upvote 0

Mrs. Luther073082

Commit to the LORD whatever you do - Proverbs 16:3
Jan 18, 2006
✟41,836.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Now if you are looking for a guy who is decent. . . talk to my wife.

Yes, a decent guy does exist in the world! But...

funny-pictures-tinsel-belongs-to-cat.jpg

mine128571907542792936.jpg

And, I'm sorry I can't help but to post this one... it made me giggle.

licked.jpg

:sorry:

Upvote 0

CrusaderKing

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2006
United States
✟24,759.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Please don't flame me, but I'm beginning to think this is true. :doh:The words "good" and "man" don't seem to fit into the same sentence anymore. :(

There are plenty of good man out there. Don't lose hope.

Upvote 0

broken_one

Fear is but something to be overcome.
Jun 5, 2008
✟22,438.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
watch

Shallow Hal, lol.
Hey, it's the collective male guilt trip! :p

I wonder (now don't get too angry) if we can use a two-category system for women, because it needs to be defined. Let's try it:

1. Every woman deserves respect and our love, in a platonic sense. Everybody has rights, men and woman. Woman can *gasp* even speak in church and not submit (kinda)!
2. If we find a woman attractive (be it how differently men find women attractive than women do), men should be able to pursue woman and refer to them as attractive or not, especially within private company or where anonymity is possible (AKA the internet).

That sounds totally fair, right? People seem to think when I think that when I make statements like I do, that I'm viewing people as less of a person because they're not attractive or whatever. That isn't the case....I love and respect everyone in a platonic sense. I'd think people would realize that without me having to deliberately brown-nose the opposite sex. I hate sucking-up, and it hardly ever works. You become a lackey, not your own person. My judgments on what is and isn't attractive seems to be a major turn-off to other women, but it's just that: a personal opinion. You know how there's other fish in the sea? Yeah, I'm just a mackerel. The bluefins are down the street, on the right.

It seems we got off on a wrong foot, because people don't think the way I think, and therefore a lot gets "lost in translation". Very few people here actually get what I think and understand that I'm not a jerk, or someone to be pitied (well, idk about that....pitied for other things, though).

HUGE DIGRESSION (sorry!), but Shallow Hal is a good movie nonetheless. :)

Upvote 0

leothelioness

Apr 4, 2006
Southern US
✟112,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
They are out there. They are just rare. "Good people" are rare b/c it takes effort. Sometimes you just have to be patient; no one knows how hard that is more than I. It's not an easy answer, but don't give up. Anyone that won't date you b/c you don't have everything together isn't worth dating. It sounds like they don't have everything together either.
He didn't. He said he needed someone who was already grounded while he was still "figuring things out". Whatever.

Reactions: CrusaderKing
Upvote 0

ulu

Sep 15, 2005
underground
✟12,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He didn't. He said he needed someone who was already grounded while he was still "figuring things out". Whatever.

Don't sell yourself short. It's so much better to be alone than with someone who will end up causing more pain. Sounds like he needs a mother, not a girlfriend.

Once the pain of rejection subsides and you can think objectively, though, do consider anything negative he said before you discard it completely. Don't get down on yourself about it, but consider if there's anything there to learn from. Be careful, though, as it sounds like you're very quick to beat yourself up, and that benefits no one.

If you're a believer, definitely ask for insight as to the reason why your relationships are working out these days.

Tomorrow's a new day.

Upvote 0

SmileAndAHandshake

Senior Veteran
Oct 1, 2003
✟19,199.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Hey, James. Yeah sorta. Basically said he didn't want to date me because I didn't have my *blank* together. Way to make me feel great about myself.

Urgh... Know how many times I've heard that one? :D I lot :doh: -- And now I'm 28, married, and I still don't have my blank together ;) But luckily the guy I found doesn't much care about that.

In the end, the only thing that statement means (you don't have your crap together) is that this guy wasn't the guy for you. That's all. Try not to take it as anything more or less.

There's plenty more out there.

:hug:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ProAntiRevolution

Mar 27, 2010
✟2,264.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I find this sort of dynamic interesting. Women are experiencing a greater degree of equality in relationships. Or that is to say they've long wanted to be the ones to reject men because they found some area of their lives lacking: not enough money, not enough status. Increasingly however, men are holding women to these standards because in a divorce high climate it's in the man's interest to make sure the woman actually brings something to the relationship.
I really have no way to know it what order the OP's life is in, but in the general sense this developing dynamic is a real step towards sexual equality. Specifically though, the question really is do you have your life together? If you don't I can understand how someone pointing that out might be hurtful, but it doesn't make them bad people.

I think the other part of the equation is this:
No. I mean looks are a big part of it, but that's not all.

The good looking guy has a lot more choice in women, and is going to be more picky. You'd probably find if you set your sights a little lower there'd be a lot more willingness to deal with some personal problems.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

white dove

(she's a) maniac
Jan 23, 2004
Out there, livin'
✟49,357.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Morning~Glory said:
In the end, the only thing that statement means (you don't have your crap together) is that this guy wasn't the guy for you. That's all. Try not to take it as anything more or less.

There's plenty more out there.

What she said.

Upvote 0

leothelioness

Apr 4, 2006
Southern US
✟112,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I find this sort of dynamic interesting. Women are experiencing a greater degree of equality in relationships. Or that is to say they've long wanted to be the ones to reject men because they found some area of their lives lacking: not enough money, not enough status. Increasingly however, men are holding women to these standards because in a divorce high climate it's in the man's interest to make sure the woman actually brings something to the relationship.
I really have no way to know it what order the OP's life is in, but in the general sense this developing dynamic is a real step towards sexual equality. Specifically though, the question really is do you have your life together? If you don't I can understand how someone pointing that out might be hurtful, but it doesn't make them bad people.
No, doesn't make them bad, but they need to at least make sure they're not being hypocritical, which this guy was. ;)

The good looking guy has a lot more choice in women, and is going to be more picky. You'd probably find if you set your sights a little lower there'd be a lot more willingness to deal with some personal problems.
Lol, no, I'm a better looking girl than he was as a guy (he even said so himself), so if anything I did lower my standards. At any rate, I have to find the person attractive, 'cause if I don't it ain't happening. :cool:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ProAntiRevolution

Mar 27, 2010
✟2,264.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
No, doesn't make them bad, but they need to at least make sure they're not being hypocritical, which this guy was. ;)

You said:
"He didn't. He said he needed someone who was already grounded while he was still "figuring things out". Whatever."

I'd agree it would be hypocritical to lecture you about it while he didn't have his house in order, but it sounds like he was pretty direct about the state of his own life. I don't think it's all the uncommon for people who don't have their houses in order to seek out someone does in hopes it will help them make necessary changes in their lives.

Lol, no, I'm a better looking girl than he was as a guy (he even said so himself), so if anything I did lower my standards.

Usually when guys say stuff like that to girls the intent is pump up their ego, and it's more of a sales pitch than an objective statement of how they really feel. I'm pretty sure every guy over the age of 14 has "sales pitched" a time or 20.

At any rate, I have to find the person attractive, 'cause if I don't it ain't happening. :cool:

That's cool, it's just a relative value factor. If I went to an average neighborhood and gave someone a brand new Porsche Boxster they'd value it highly. If I did the same thing in an extremely affluent neighborhood you might find people flat out refusing to take it because they have better choices than an entry level Porsche.

Upvote 0

leothelioness

Apr 4, 2006
Southern US
✟112,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
You said:
"He didn't. He said he needed someone who was already grounded while he was still "figuring things out". Whatever."

I'd agree it would be hypocritical to lecture you about it while he didn't have his house in order, but it sounds like he was pretty direct about the state of his own life. I don't think it's all the uncommon for people who don't have their houses in order to seek out someone does in hopes it will help them make necessary changes in their lives.
I don't think it's uncommon, either. It is hypocritical, though, to hold something against someone that you yourself are also going through. That's like a physically handicapped person saying they wouldn't want to date someone who's bound to a wheelchair. See what I'm saying?

Usually when guys say stuff like that to girls the intent is pump up their ego, and it's more of a sales pitch than an objective statement of how they really feel. I'm pretty sure every guy over the age of 14 has "sales pitched" a time or 20.
Lol, I'm well aware of my attractiveness to the opposite sex. I don't really need anyone to "pump up" my ego. Really.

That's cool, it's just a relative value factor. If I went to an average neighborhood and gave someone a brand new Porsche Boxster they'd value it highly. If I did the same thing in an extremely affluent neighborhood you might find people flat out refusing to take it because they have better choices than an entry level Porsche.
Not sure what you're insinuating. If you're trying to say I'm average, nice try. ;)

Upvote 0