USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of course it is, but where are there passages in the Bible that say that God does this?
I'm astounded that you cannot think of any. Are you a teacher? Here's some to "digest"......... Don't choke.....
Cannibalism, Here’s a sample of God’s judgement that fits equally well with abortion today.

And I will cause them to eat the flesh of their sons and the flesh of their daughters, and they shall eat every one the flesh of his friend in the siege and straitness, wherewith their enemies, and they that seek their lives, shall straiten them.” Jeremiah 19:9 (KJV 1900)

So that he will not give to any of them of the flesh of his children whom he shall eat: because he hath nothing left him in the siege, and in the straitness, wherewith thine enemies shall distress thee in all thy gates.” Deuteronomy 28:55 (KJV 1900)

“Behold, O LORD, and consider to whom thou hast done this. Shall the women eat their fruit, and children of a span long? Shall the priest and the prophet be slain in the sanctuary of the Lord?” Lamentations 2:20 (KJV 1900)

The hands of the pitiful women have sodden their own children: They were their meat in the destruction of the daughter of my people.” Lamentations 4:10 (KJV 1900)

And ye shall eat the flesh of your sons, and the flesh of your daughters shall ye eat.” Leviticus 26:29 (KJV 1900)

Therefore the fathers shall eat the sons in the midst of thee, and the sons shall eat their fathers; and I will execute judgments in thee, and the whole remnant of thee will I scatter into all the winds.” Ezekiel 5:10 (KJV 1900)

And ye shall eat the flesh of your sons, and the flesh of your daughters shall ye eat.” Leviticus 26:29 (KJV 1900)

And thou shalt eat the fruit of thine own body, the flesh of thy sons and of thy daughters, which the Lord thy God hath given thee, in the siege, and in the straitness, wherewith thine enemies shall distress thee:” Deuteronomy 28:53 (KJV 1900)

And he shall snatch on the right hand, and be hungry; And he shall eat on the left hand, and they shall not be satisfied: They shall eat every man the flesh of his own arm:” Isaiah 9:20 (KJV 1900)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“And I will make void the counsel of Judah and Jerusalem in this place; and I will cause them to fall by the sword before their enemies, and by the hands of them that seek their lives: and their carcases will I give to be meat for the fowls of the heaven, and for the beasts of the earth. And I will make this city desolate, and an hissing; every one that passeth thereby shall be astonished and hiss because of all the plagues thereof. And I will cause them to eat the flesh of their sons and the flesh of their daughters, and they shall eat every one the flesh of his friend in the siege and straitness, wherewith their enemies, and they that seek their lives, shall straiten them.” Jeremiah 19:7–9 (KJV 1900)

“Therefore the fathers shall eat the sons in the midst of thee, and the sons shall eat their fathers; and I will execute judgments in thee, and the whole remnant of thee will I scatter into all the winds. Wherefore, as I live, saith the Lord God; Surely, because thou hast defiled my sanctuary with all thy detestable things, and with all thine abominations, therefore will I also diminish thee; neither shall mine eye spare, neither will I have any pity. A third part of thee shall die with the pestilence, and with famine shall they be consumed in the midst of thee: and a third part shall fall by the sword round about thee; and I will scatter a third part into all the winds, and I will draw out a sword after them. Thus shall mine anger be accomplished, and I will cause my fury to rest upon them, and I will be comforted: and they shall know that I the Lord have spoken it in my zeal, when I have accomplished my fury in them.” Ezekiel 5:10–13 (KJV 1900)

“And if ye will not be reformed by me by these things, but will walk contrary unto me; Then will I also walk contrary unto you, and will punish you yet seven times for your sins. And I will bring a sword upon you, that shall avenge the quarrel of my covenant: and when ye are gathered together within your cities, I will send the pestilence among you; and ye shall be delivered into the hand of the enemy. And when I have broken the staff of your bread, ten women shall bake your bread in one oven, and they shall deliver you your bread again by weight: and ye shall eat, and not be satisfied. And if ye will not for all this hearken unto me, but walk contrary unto me; Then I will walk contrary unto you also in fury; and I, even I, will chastise you seven times for your sins. And ye shall eat the flesh of your sons, and the flesh of your daughters shall ye eat. And I will destroy your high places, and cut down your images, and cast your carcases upon the carcases of your idols, and my soul shall abhor you. And I will make your cities waste, and bring your sanctuaries unto desolation, and I will not smell the savour of your sweet odours. And I will bring the land into desolation: and your enemies which dwell therein shall be astonished at it. And I will scatter you among the heathen, and will draw out a sword after you: and your land shall be desolate, and your cities waste.” Leviticus 26:23–33 (KJV 1900)

Also related;

“‘Nevertheless I withdrew my hand and wrought for my name’s sake, that it should not be polluted in the sight of the heathen, in whose sight I brought them forth. I lifted up my hand unto them also in the wilderness, that I would scatter them among the heathen, and disperse them through the countries; because they had not executed my judgements, but had despised my statutes, and had polluted my sabbaths, and their eyes were after their fathers’ idols. Wherefore I gave them also statutes that were not good, and judgements whereby they should not live. And I polluted them in their own gifts, in that they caused to pass through the fire all that openeth the womb, that I might make them desolate, to the end that they might know that I am the LORD.” Ezekiel 20:22–26 (NCPB)

• Winner
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Where is the logic, (or Biblical passages saying it is so), that shows God does not cause this?
The logic (not Bible passages) is that God is good and therefore wouldn’t encourage people to become cannibals.

I’m more interested in the passages that Dave seems to think exist that do say that God encourages cannibalism.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟780,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
The logic (not Bible passages) is that God is good and therefore wouldn’t encourage people to become cannibals.

I’m more interested in the passages that Dave seems to think exist that do say that God encourages cannibalism.
"encourages"??? CAUSES

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I do get the feeling that there are people here who think I'm just trying to be smart with them... I'm not.
People aren't mind readers. Personally I wanted to know whether you're trolling or not. Thank you for your clarification.

What man calls evil is often simply misfortune.
It's called the road to hell is paved with good intentions. When a person's view of what looks good to them is actually evil.

Case in point. If you're familiar with the case of Boston bombing suspect as the cover of Rolling Stone magazine. People were outraged that what they thought should look ugly actually looks attractive.
..even though it may look evil from a position of ignorance (human).
The greatest evils in history happen when something looks good from a position of ignorance. It's not as if Mao, Stalin and Hitler were in some dark Hollywood tower chanting "what evil can I do today". They believed what they were doing was a good thing for mankind and enough people also likewise believed them to make the fruits of their labor become real in our world.

I would say this is a cautionary tale for every Buddhist, be careful for what you chant for. It may seem wise and pleasant to a person's inner eye but the end result will become death.

Upvote 0

Tellyontellyon

Jan 19, 2020
Wales
✟111,917.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
People aren't mind readers. Personally I wanted to know whether you're trolling or not. Thank you for your clarification.
I think it's better to take the default position of giving the benefit of the doubt... or it just comes across as paranoid and aggressive.
Even if a person is trolling... well why? Why are they trolling? There must be some doubt about their own position if they have to mock somebody else's. The mocker is really covering up their own uncertainty. Unconsciously they have a part of them that wants to believe IMO.
Anyhow, I'm not here to mock or troll.
If my questions seem tricky, or designed to catch you out then that is a misunderstanding. It is more that I am crash testing Christianity, as a way to really get to the heart of it.
I'm not a believer, but I'm not against becoming one if faith were to grow in me.
If Jesus were to talk to me or if I felt a connection with or living experience of him, then I would. I have prayed for that, I've prayed for faith. But nothing has happened.
So for the time being I'm still a Buddhist. At its heart Buddhism is a method rather than a belief. Even it's beliefs are methods. A vehicle to get to enlightenment, to the complete end of suffering and the development of compassion. I know these methods work from experience...
... But I'm not saying that an experience of Christ isn't possible. If Christ is real then such a thing can happen.

• Friendly
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Norbert L

Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I think it's better to take the default position of giving the benefit of the doubt... or it just comes across as paranoid and aggressive.
Given that three times the word evil is associated with the God in the OP, what many people really object to is having their eternal fate decided by the only Creator who has shown His face in person. So chances are is all about discrediting Him as an evil god in their mind.

So I decide to take a more adversarial role in replying. Seems like a rational thing to do.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟678,372.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I do get the feeling that there are people here who think I'm just trying to be smart with them... I'm not.
I do not think this way. But it is nice to get your follow-up impressions, especially when Christians' answers differ.

My own sense of things and from what people are saying is that God doesn't contain or create evil.
Christians should agree with this statement.

Rather, God does what is necessary, even though it may look evil from a position of ignorance (human). When Good kills, it is not a murder, it is part of something bigger that we cannot really understand... (Doesn't he point that out to Job). What man calls evil is often simply misfortune.
These statements describe Buddhist, rather than Christian, beliefs. (although I can't talk for Calvinists, perhaps they would agree with you.)

All mortal life will end and life is a test and a lesson for the Soul. There is no principle higher or outside of God... God is both the principle and the expression of the principle.. The father and the Son. At least, that's what I would think if I were a Christian.
This part is true.

The greatest evils in history happen when something looks good from a position of ignorance. It's not as if Mao, Stalin and Hitler were in some dark Hollywood tower chanting "what evil can I do today". They believed what they were doing was a good thing for mankind and enough people also likewise believed them to make the fruits of their labor become real in our world.
Evil can result from a willful confrontation with God's goodness but this is probably rare. As you say, it is more often results from ignorance of God's principles.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mart1994

Sep 6, 2021
friesland
✟8,305.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1. Could God do evil if he wanted to?
2. Would it be possible for him to want to do evil?
3. Is anything God does by definition good.... but if I were to do it then it would be evil?
4. Is there a principle of right and wrong that transcends God?

no not evil, people that are obsessed with evil things are choosing agents God.
John 3-16:19

Genesis 2-15:17
Here God already admits there is Good and evil, He give us a choice to go for Good or the evil.

genesis 3-1:5
God knows evil is there and still God let us talk to the serpent, Why?
I don't think God does evil, because he loves us so much

job 1-1:12
God is Good, all the time. But some times We get tested.

psalms 136-1:2
the only answer I can give, there are many god's. but we serve the God of gods.
He is a loving and forgiving God, what kind of mistake we make.
But take your faith seriously and don't abuse his forgiveness.

Upvote 0

EmethAlethia

Oct 5, 2014
✟28,633.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
✝️Could God do evil if he wanted to?
✝️Would it be possible for him to want to do evil?
✝️Is anything God does by definition good.... but if I were to do it then it would be evil?
✝️ Is there a principle of right and wrong that transcends God?

First, this is one of the ways to find false doctrines and beliefs.

For example, if polygamy is adultery and adultery is sinning, how come the bible says twice that God took multiple wives and they committed adultery against Him. Inconsistent, right? Something doesn't fit, right?

How come David didn't commit adultery till his 8th wife and took at least 10, possibly 20 more wives after that and never committed adultery again? How many women did Solomon sleep with? How many times does the bible call that adultery?

Here's another part of these questions: If we believe God does something He says is sin, is it? Or is it just not sin when He does it...

Here's the answer to all of these though. God will let every person on this planet judge Him according to His word, and according to His claims as to what He gave us and all the opportunities we had to accept or reject Him.

Rom 3:4 May it never be! Rather, let God be found true, though every man be found a liar, as it is written, "THAT YOU MAY BE JUSTIFIED IN YOUR WORDS, AND PREVAIL WHEN YOU ARE JUDGED." 5 But if our unrighteousness demonstrates the righteousness of God, what shall we say? The God who inflicts wrath is not unrighteous, is He? (I am speaking in human terms.)

What will be found is that God will be fully justified, found to be good, found to be honest, ... every last thing He says He is in His word. And we will sit in judgment on Him based on His own standards. What this doesn't mean is that we won't attribute evil to God (Blaspheme) because we misunderstand and misinterpret His word.

Upvote 0