Goliath: Who's your daddy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me first say (for the sake of those who do not know me) that I am not trying to cast doubt upon G~d's word by asking this question. It's a sincere question, and I do not doubt the authority of the Bible.

Anyway, consider the following: The Nephilim (giants) were around before the flood.

Genesis 6
4 The Nephilim were on the earth in those days-and also afterward-when the sons of God went to the daughters of men and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown.

The flood killed everyone but Noah and his family.

Genesis 7
21 Every living thing that moved on the earth perished-birds, livestock, wild animals, all the creatures that swarm over the earth, and all mankind. 22 Everything on dry land that had the breath of life in its nostrils died. 23 Every living thing on the face of the earth was wiped out; men and animals and the creatures that move along the ground and the birds of the air were wiped from the earth. Only Noah was left, and those with him in the ark.

Then suddenly they're back.

Numbers 13
32 And they spread among the Israelites a bad report about the land they had explored. They said, "The land we explored devours those living in it. All the people we saw there are of great size. 33 We saw the Nephilim there (the descendants of Anak come from the Nephilim). We seemed like grasshoppers in our own eyes, and we looked the same to them."

Now even if one does not assume Goliath in particular is the descendent of Nephilim, the Bible says these people (Anakites) are. So where did they come from if everything with breath was killed during the flood except Noah and his family? I can think of a few contrived explanations, but I'm wondering what others think.

(By the way - the Genesis 6:4 verse DOES say that the Nephilim were on the earth in those days -- and also afterward which seems to anticipate and head-off this apparent contradiction. But it doesn't give a clue as to HOW they were on earth afterward.)

Status
Not open for further replies.