Marcellus
✟15,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So I am going to college next month, I am really worried about taking my placement tests since I have not done anything academically in the past 2 years, I was in the USMC for a while so that's why. I didn't take highschool seriously and winged it a lot, so now I feel ill prepared for college, I have been praying for guidance from God and wisdom, but I still worry I won't do good or I will fail, should I take the placement tests and see what happens? What do I ask God??? Encouragement would be great!

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟486,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do a Google search on how to study for college placement tests. Then study.

The tests are just a tool to make sure you get into the right classes.

You don't want to get stuck in a basic class you could have skipped with a little study before the placement test.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The tests are just a tool to make sure you get into the right classes.

You don't want to get stuck in a basic class you could have skipped with a little study before the placement test.
That's right, Carlos. These are for assessment purposes. It's not as though you will be refused study in some subject you care about because of how you score on the tests.

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I went straight to college from high school, but I had a lot of catching up to do since my high school program didn't equip me for my chosen major.

The best advice I can give you is to live on campus if you can (assuming it's a residential college). This will make it easier to get to class and serves as a motivator to study.

Your placement tests will only determine which courses you start in. For example, I scored low on math and had to take a refresher algebra class, but after that I was on equal footing with my classmates and could register for the class(es) they had taken. It'll take you a semester or two longer, but it'll be a great help.

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
So I am going to college next month, I am really worried about taking my placement tests since I have not done anything academically in the past 2 years, I was in the USMC for a while so that's why. I didn't take highschool seriously and winged it a lot, so now I feel ill prepared for college, I have been praying for guidance from God and wisdom, but I still worry I won't do good or I will fail, should I take the placement tests and see what happens? What do I ask God??? Encouragement would be great!

I feel fairly confident that if you were in USMC with all the demands it entails, you definitely can take on the challenges of college. :)

There are so many people in the same boat as you, and most are able to sail through, some more smoothly than others; just decide to persevere. Hebrews 12:1 is such an encouraging verse to me, and it may be to you as well. I have some health issues (I'm fine, though) that require regular medical appointments, so I've gotten to know the nurses who care for me, and several started college later than typical. One began community college at age 43! She never finished high school because she'd gotten pregnant, so she just had a GED. It took a bit longer to catch up but she kept going and made a meaningful and fulfilling career for herself. Another friend who is just a few years older than I am had been home-schooled from kindergarten through high school and did not receive a strong education. She did poorly on the proficiency placement tests and had to take some remedial classes before progressing to the required ones. She said she truly benefitted from those courses. Even if she'd had a stronger education in high school, taking the classes at the college were better preparation because they were specifically designed to be stepping stones. I was a very serious student in high school and went directly to college, and I still find myself needing to dust off parts of my brain in some subjects. I thought I'd never again take another math class after I graduated from HS, but have had several at college. At my school and many others there's a student center where you can go to receive help. I did that and I also got graduate students to tutor me.

Find out if there's a way you can specifically prepare for the placement tests. Just knowing what to expect can help. Go in with an optimistic attitude. You may actually know more than you realize and do much better than you fear. The worst case scenario is that you'll have to take some lower level classes to prepare you for the GER (General Eduction Requirements) like my friend and nurse did. It's like how if you haven't worked out for a while, you're going to be very sore at first, but you can build up those muscles and become strong. I think what's most important for success at college is self-discipline and drive; how you manage your time and the effort you put into your work. You may be rustier in some subjects than those who started college immediately after high school, but you've got major advantages from having been in the USMC first. Don't underestimate the importance of that experience.

Upvote 0

EzekielsWheels

Site Supporter
Oct 3, 2018
Southeast
Visit site
✟90,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As has been discussed the placement tests are just to find out what your current level of knowledge is. Do you have an idea as to what you want to major in? If something in math they sell "catch-up" primers to refresh your knowledge. I would guess you can find primers on most introductory college classes if you want to review. It all really depends on what you're interested in studying. I pray the Lord guides you and prospers you as you get ready for classes to begin! Fret not!

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
These are placement tests. If you do badly, you may need to take some remedial classes. Not the worst thing in the world, but that's how community colleges milk their students for another semester or two's worth of class credits. If that's what you get, that can still be a win for you, if you go in determined to get better at whatever shortcomings that the classes are allegedly meant to address.

Upvote 0