Godspeed, Karl Keating! Catholic Answers has a new president...

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You cared enough to mention him by his real name and deride him.

I mentioned him by his username at that board.

Out of charity and the absence of evidence against him, I'm going to assume that he is probably not going against the teachings of the Church since he provides specifics from official Church sources to back up what he says instead of simply making a claim and then telling people to find it for themselves.

You may choose to believe that what he says - that it is an absolute truth that manual genital stimulation as foreplay in a lovemaking session between a man and his wif is grave sin - is not against the Church. Have fun with that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟937,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I mentioned him by his username at that board.

You may choose to believe that what he says - that it is an absolute truth that manual genital stimulation as foreplay in a lovemaking session between a man and his wif is grave sin - is not against the Church. Have fun with that.

As you just said in another thread, what exactly does this have to do with the subject of this thread?

Upvote 0

Irish Melkite

Melkite Greek-Catholic
Dec 30, 2004
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟1,730.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I haven't 'bad mouthed' CA, I have merely stated the facts. You can easily get confirmation from at least one of your Eastern Catholic members here, maybe two if Irish Melkite posts on CF.

I'll certainly join my sister, Anhelyna, in confirming what my old friend and brother, John, has said!!! And I do so in the context of being a banned person there (though you'll not find any indication of such under my name), as well as having been the original moderator there of what, as Anhelyna has said, WAS the Eastern Christian (now Eastern Catholic) forum (I moderated under a user alias, Joe Monahan, you can still find a few posts there by me under that nick as well as my non-mod nick of Irish Melkite).

Many years,

Neil

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,298,729.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Come to think of it - and thanks for reminding me Neil - I don't think my first ID there - in the days of 'Joe's' moderation has the word banned under it - my second one does though :)

I learned a HUGE amount whilst I was a member of the Eastern Christianity section - and that education was given by Catholic and Orthodox members - willingly and without mud-slinging

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'll certainly join my sister, Anhelyna, in confirming what my old friend and brother, John, has said!!! And I do so in the context of being a banned person there (though you'll not find any indication of such under my name), as well as having been the original moderator there of what, as Anhelyna has said, WAS the Eastern Christian (now Eastern Catholic) forum (I moderated under a user alias, Joe Monahan, you can still find a few posts there by me under that nick as well as my non-mod nick of Irish Melkite).

Many years,

Neil

I have observed your posts here for a decade and I cannot immagine you stating anything that would warrant staff action, much less a ban. I appologize for the way you were treated by these Catholics.

Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The forums at Catholic answers were extremely hostile towards me when I was first considering whether I was Eastern or Western. One day I was having some anxiety issues, so I went there looking for advice, and a few users made it a point to tell me that I was certifiably crazy and I need to go to the doctor. It was ridiculous.

Then the Eastern Catholic forum that IrishMelkite, prodomos and Anhelyna have alluded to is not a very friendly place. However, it pales in comparison to the Eastern Catholic forum on CatholicMatch which is downright offensive, and consists of a bunch of people who seem to enjoy bashing our variety of Catholicism.

....on a side note, the radio show isn't bad.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wondrousgnat

Feb 27, 2013
Winfield Township
✟8,859.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am curious now. What is the bug objection to Eastern Rite Catholics. I have been to a few of their services and was well acquainted with a priest who became a bishop. They had panels instead of statues and did the sign of the cross in reverse. So what is the problem? If anything they might have some legitimate complaints against western Catholics. (actually the Eastern rite persons I have know seem much more devout and strict in their Catholicism.)

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I am curious now. What is the bug objection to Eastern Rite Catholics. I have been to a few of their services and was well acquainted with a priest who became a bishop. They had panels instead of statues and did the sign of the cross in reverse. So what is the problem? If anything they might have some legitimate complaints against western Catholics. (actually the Eastern rite persons I have know seem much more devout and strict in their Catholicism.)

There is no legitimate objection to Eartern Catholics from the West and vice versa except by petty people who cannot tolerate that someone might prefer something different than they do. The same types of people argue over whether the TLM or the NO is "better". These are all licit options to us and we should not be fighting amongst ourselves, allowing us to be divided over such pettiness. There are some Eastern Catholics who don't submit to Rome as fully as they should, but I believe they are the exception rather than the rule. There are, numerically speaking, far more common in the Latin Church.

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Take your pic of terrible mods at that place!! ERIC HILBERT is just an overall bad human being, mean person with a real agenda to brainwash and control. Michael Francis is an awful dude, Therese Martin is HORRENDOUS and does things behind the scenes that will curl your hair. They're just a mean-spirited, nasty, controlling, mind-control-driven bunch.

Karl Keating...ugh. Nuff said.

There's nothing like religion to bring out the worst in people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

houseofsaul

Feb 23, 2015
✟15,127.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have to agree with Gurney. If someone told me they were looking into the Catholic Church, the only reason I would recommend Catholic Answers is if I wanted to turn them away from Catholicism. That is certainly the effect it has on me.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way. I almost didn't join the Church.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The forums at Catholic answers were extremely hostile towards me when I was first considering whether I was Eastern or Western. One day I was having some anxiety issues, so I went there looking for advice, and a few users made it a point to tell me that I was certifiably crazy and I need to go to the doctor. It was ridiculous.

Then the Eastern Catholic forum that IrishMelkite, prodomos and Anhelyna have alluded to is not a very friendly place. However, it pales in comparison to the Eastern Catholic forum on CatholicMatch which is downright offensive, and consists of a bunch of people who seem to enjoy bashing our variety of Catholicism.

....on a side note, the radio show isn't bad.

Amen to the last. But I got very tired of the bickering.

Upvote 0

billvelek

Sep 16, 2014
Arkansas
✟8,154.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
SNIP ... Edited: I did dig around for your amusement, and because I was starting to wonder if I remembered his name right. Yup, that's the guy. He also predicted the end of the world on several occasions. Yup, one of those.

https://ronconte.wordpress.com/2011/02/20/unnatural-sexual-acts-as-marital-foreplay/

I just went to that site and, although the page did display, I received a notice that "This page is trying to load scrips from unauthenticated sources." I'm too dumb to understand that other than it looks like its attempting to do something bad which practically no other websites attempt. I'm assuming, since it's too late anyway, that my system has blocked or otherwise prevented anything like the installation of any type of malware, but wanted to warn others in case they might have inadequate protection.

On another issue which is somewhat related to this conversation, reading this thread -- in its entirety without the almost constant error messages I've received in the past week -- is the first real break I've had on accessing this forum. I had all but given up on it and have started posting in CAF, and the more I get involved over there the less I'll be around here. Few here probably care, but I just wanted to let those of you who are friends know what has happened to me. If I didn't like this forum so much, I would have left it permanently days ago, because it has been EXTREMELY frustrating being able to access just about anything. I've mentioned it in detail in another thread. I just don't have the patience to spend 10 minutes repeatedly attempting to either preview or post a message, not to mention the absolute inability to read ANY of some threads about 90% of the time. Anyway, maybe I'll see some of you over in CAF; meanwhile, I'll see how much trouble I might have trying to post this message and read followups.

Your brother in Christ,

Bill Velek

Upvote 0