Maryland
✟16,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Are there Christians who entertain the notion that God has a greater context or environment in which he exists? Perhaps God needs nothing or is not compelled by anything within the boundary conditions of his environment, but there could be structures in place that are 'out-of-bounds' in regard to God's actions that explain why God makes certain choices regarding how to create and interact with his creation.

On occasion, a couple of terms seem to be employed in this way: the "divine essence" (rather than 'the is-ness of God') or the "divine nature" (rather than 'what is it to be God').

Within the Eastern Orthodox tradition, there is the divine essence-energies distinction. I don't think Palamas went as far as to imply that the essence provides conditions for God's operations. Please correct me if I am wrong about that.

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟752,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There is an Eastern Orthodox sub forum where more people might be able to answer your question. I mean it is fine here but just for further reference.

The Orthodox ( The Ancient Way) sub forum:

The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox

Upvote 0

amci

Nov 22, 2019
Maryland
✟16,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
There is an Eastern Orthodox sub forum where more people might be able to answer your question. I mean it is fine here but just for further reference.

The Orthodox ( The Ancient Way) sub forum:

The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox

Thank you. However, I don't have the permission to post there or the sub-forums.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟752,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I believe you it just seems strange that you would be restricted in light of your question. I am a little familiar with St. Gregory ( Palamas) & even have a small collection of his sermons in a book called: The Saving Work of Christ

st gregory palamas the saving work of christ - Google Search

This is a nice collection & probably any Christian could relate to most of it. Anyway, the deeper theology of essence & energies is a little complex for me & my attention span is decreasing so I am sorry I probably cannot contribute much.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I do not guarantee that I understand what you are asking, but I'll try >
Are there Christians who entertain the notion that God has a greater context or environment in which he exists?
I would say God is much more than just involved with the universe that He created.

And He does say not to make a big deal out of His created things. They will pass, He says. So, yes this can mean there is much more to God, than His created products.

Perhaps God needs nothing or is not compelled by anything within the boundary conditions of his environment,
I would say He needs nothing from the universe He has created. And outside the realm of the observable universe, God is self-existent, not depending on any being other than Himself, for His existence and His energy and activity.

But if God did not need the universe, why did He create it??

there could be structures in place that are 'out-of-bounds' in regard to God's actions that explain why God makes certain choices regarding how to create and interact with his creation.
I'll try >

There is the spirit of evil > Ephesians 2:2. God does things in order to keep this evil spirit in control so it is not just all over the place. Plus, the universe is material, composed of whatever you would call the stuff used to form things of the universe. Again . . . this stuff is organized.

Because God is orderly and organized.

Also, God has His purpose > Romans 8:29 > to have many children who are like Jesus. And this universe is His place for bringing up children who are conformed to the image of Jesus. This, I would say, is God's central purpose, somehow, for every thing in existence and what happens with every thing and person and event > all can be traced somehow to fit with His purpose to have many brethren for Christ, who are and love like Jesus. And I think any scripture can be connected and related with this basic purpose.

Upvote 0

amci

Nov 22, 2019
Maryland
✟16,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
I believe you it just seems strange that you would be restricted in light of your question. I am a little familiar with St. Gregory ( Palamas) & even have a small collection of his sermons in a book called: The Saving Work of Christ

st gregory palamas the saving work of christ - Google Search

This is a nice collection & probably any Christian could relate to most of it. Anyway, the deeper theology of essence & energies is a little complex for me & my attention span is decreasing so I am sorry I probably cannot contribute much.

Thank you for the book suggestion; I will take a look.

I am unable to post in The Ancient Way because congregational/denominational sub-forums only allow Christian posters. As a non-Christian I can read, but I can't post (there's no buttons for it), even in debate or question sub-forums.

Upvote 0

amci

Nov 22, 2019
Maryland
✟16,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
I would say He needs nothing from the universe He has created. And outside the realm of the observable universe, God is self-existent, not depending on any being other than Himself, for His existence and His energy and activity.

But if God did not need the universe, why did He create it??

Accepting the idea that God is in no way dependent or compelled by anything he created, are there things about himself or whatever pre-creation state or 'environment' (for lack of a better word) that do limit his goals in regard to his creation?

Plus, the universe is material, composed of whatever you would call the stuff used to form things of the universe. Again . . . this stuff is organized.

Because God is orderly and organized.

Does it make sense to say that God was "orderly and organized" 'prior' to him creating anything. If so, "orderly and organized" in relation to what?

Also, God has His purpose > Romans 8:29 > to have many children who are like Jesus. And this universe is His place for bringing up children who are conformed to the image of Jesus. ...

Are the methods he goes about pursuing his purpose constrained in any way? If so, by what?

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Accepting the idea that God is in no way dependent or compelled by anything he created, are there things about himself or whatever pre-creation state or 'environment' (for lack of a better word) that do limit his goals in regard to his creation?
He has His purpose of having many children who are conformed to the image of Jesus > Romans 8:29. So, I guess we could say He is limited to this purpose effecting what He does and what He does not do with created things. What He does with this universe is related to having many children like Jesus.

But also, He is committed to managing the spirit of evil and evil beings so they are organized and in one place . . . away from where He is enjoying us and has us benefiting from and enjoying Him as His family. Right now, they are being kept on this earth . . . on their way to where they will spend eternity.

After the spirit of evil and its beings are in hell . . . then will be when God resurrects this earth so it is suitable - - - of the right quality - - - for us who are God's children > Romans 8:20-21.

So, everything now is connected to His overall, eternal purpose. Now this earth is our place to be with God while He changes us to be like Jesus; plus this earth is temporarily God's prisoner-of-war camp for Satan and his. But this will be our future place, once it is "delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God."

So, I guess we could say God is limited to His purpose and plans . . . all He is committed to doing. So He is limited by Himself. Maybe we could say, though, God has His own destiny of what He will and will not do, at any moment . . . what He really will do and what He really will not :)

I mean, if destiny is what really will happen, this can not be changed since it really will happen. Even God can not change whatever is really going to happen, I understand. So, even God has destiny. But part of His destiny is He is the One in control of all. No one and nothing controls Him. But it is so good, then, how God is the One supremely good, only doing what is good, and no one and nothing, including of any and all evil, is able to change Him or wear Him out from loving; plus, He is able to share this with us, for eternity. In His "divine nature" > 2 Peter 1:4 > we have the character so we share with God Himself in His own good of His love.

His character of love limits Him to doing only the good of His love.

Upvote 0

amci

Nov 22, 2019
Maryland
✟16,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
I posted a thread re your inquiry in TAW if you want to check there also. I am not trying to undercut what other Christians may post here either.

Thank you. I have 'watched' the thread in TAW. Give my thanks to Fr. Matt and to anyone else who joins the discussion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

amci

Nov 22, 2019
Maryland
✟16,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
So, everything now is connected to His overall, eternal purpose.
So, I guess we could say God is limited to His purpose and plans . . . all He is committed to doing. So He is limited by Himself. Maybe we could say, though, God has His own destiny of what He will and will not do, at any moment . . . what He really will do and what He really will not :)

I mean, if destiny is what really will happen, this can not be changed since it really will happen. Even God can not change whatever is really going to happen, I understand. So, even God has destiny. But part of His destiny is He is the One in control of all. No one and nothing controls Him. But it is so good, then, how God is the One supremely good, only doing what is good, and no one and nothing, including of any and all evil, is able to change Him or wear Him out from loving; ...

Does God choose what he committed to do? Does he choose his plans and purpose? Are there limits on what he could choose or plan? Once committed, can he change his mind?

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Does God choose what he committed to do?
I would say so.

Does he choose his plans and purpose?
I would say yes.

Are there limits on what he could choose or plan?
Yes . . . He is incapable of choosing and doing what is evil.

Once committed, can he change his mind?
no

I offer that in any case God has His number-one commitment . . . to save humans from our sins so we can share eternity with Him. And included in this is how our Heavenly Father is committed to changing us to become and to love and share like His own Son Jesus is and loves.

Jesus is God's own Son; Jesus is so greatly pleasing to our Father; and His commitment is to have many children who are like Jesus so enjoyable and delighting to Him.

Now, I would say, amci, that Jesus is so pleasing and satisfying, that our Father is not going to change from this commitment. I think there is nothing more pleasing that He could think of doing. May be, though, He might do something in a tie for first place as pleasing, but nothing more.

Because He can't be more pleased than how Jesus pleases Him. And Jesus desires for us to so share with Him in such love sharing with our Father.

Upvote 0