✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Aww, come on. Waste a dime on it.

If only it were possible to see movies for a dime. ;)

I miss the dollar (and even $2 and $3) theaters around here that showed second-run movies.

Now I think it's around $8-10 a ticket (and that might be matinee) per person. And if you want a snack and/or drink (which I never buy) ... you're looking at the same price as a fancy (to me) dinner for two out.

We don't do that either, LOL.

Netflix is my friend.

But I miss the really cool 3-D movies on the big screen sometimes.

Upvote 0

pyramid33

Mar 21, 2014
✟3,478.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If only it were possible to see movies for a dime. ;)

I miss the dollar (and even $2 and $3) theaters around here that showed second-run movies.

Now I think it's around $8-10 a ticket (and that might be matinee) per person. And if you want a snack and/or drink (which I never buy) ... you're looking at the same price as a fancy (to me) dinner for two out.

We don't do that either, LOL.

Netflix is my friend.

Yeah, I know. It cost like $7.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I know. It cost like $7.

Depends too where you are. I went by myself to see a move well over a year ago in Dallas, TX for a matinee, and it was $10. I didn't want to know what regular prices would be!

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
I remember ACU as well. :)

:wave:

Bit of scandal from there (don't want to date myself by telling you how long ago, LOL) ... a couple of young ladies were sunbathing in swimsuits (reasonably modest ones) on campus and got expelled. A few more very nearly did so for coming out of their dorm rooms into the hall in sock feet (no shoes). That seemed a little over the top to all of us though. :)

Haha. They're not as strict now, girls sunbath on the lawns in front of their dorms all the time now once it's start warming up after winter.

Upvote 0

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The first day of my biology class, my professor said "We're going to teach evolution, and if you are not okay with that please come talk to me in private."
Our 9th grade Biology teacher said something similar right before we went into the curriculum on evolutionary theory. In that case it was that they'd graduated from a Methodist college and told us outright that either the college taught evolution as scientific fact* or simply gave their personal opinion that the two didn't conflict, but that the students needed to know how it worked, whether or not they agree with it.

*Which also happens to align with the UMC's official doctrinal statement on Science and Technology, but I'm not sure if that statement had been included in the Book of Discipline at the time. In any case, the UMC affirms the validity of cosmological, geological, and biological evolution and discourages the teaching of Intelligent Design and Creationism in science classrooms (possibly at all, but since the denomination is kind of a big tent, that only serves as the official position).

This was a public high school, but:
A) we're not in the Bible belt (we have to head north up I-75 for about 2-3 hours to hit even the southern edges of it or the South in general).

B) I was in the International Baccalaureate program (technically, pre-IB, which is what they called it even if they want to distance themselves from that name now) for those first two years, so it was a more university-oriented academic environment to start with. This being the pre-emptive answer to any 'you had that in 9th grade?' comments.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Qyöt27;65664763 said:
Our 9th grade Biology teacher said something similar right before we went into the curriculum on evolutionary theory. In that case it was that they'd graduated from a Methodist college and told us outright that either the college taught evolution as scientific fact* or simply gave their personal opinion that the two didn't conflict, but that the students needed to know how it worked, whether or not they agree with it.

*Which also happens to align with the UMC's official doctrinal statement on Science and Technology, but I'm not sure if that statement had been included in the Book of Discipline at the time. In any case, the UMC affirms the validity of cosmological, geological, and biological evolution and discourages the teaching of Intelligent Design and Creationism in science classrooms (possibly at all, but since the denomination is kind of a big tent, that only serves as the official position).

This was a public high school, but:
A) we're not in the Bible belt (we have to head north up I-75 for about 2-3 hours to hit even the southern edges of it or the South in general).

B) I was in the International Baccalaureate program (technically, pre-IB, which is what they called it even if they want to distance themselves from that name now) for those first two years, so it was a more university-oriented academic environment to start with. This being the pre-emptive answer to any 'you had that in 9th grade?' comments.

I didn't learn about it at all in high school. I went to a very conservative Christian school for two years, and took biology there. I remember him saying we were going to talk about it, but we never actually did, so I don't know what happened. We weren't taught Creationism, they just kind of ignored the whole thing in biology.

Upvote 0

Cappadocious

Sep 29, 2012
✟30,661.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Sounds like this movie makes the act of intellectually assenting to nominally-Christian statements the crux of the faith, so to speak.

When that's the case, persecution becomes... well... people publicly disagreeing with you.

Are we really that soft?

Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,245.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I didn't learn about it at all in high school. I went to a very conservative Christian school for two years, and took biology there. I remember him saying we were going to talk about it, but we never actually did, so I don't know what happened. We weren't taught Creationism, they just kind of ignored the whole thing in biology.

I went to a public high school in Illinois. However, my biology teacher was a staunch member of the church of Christ, actually later co-authored a book on creation for children. She blew right through the section on evolution like a tornado through a trailer park just to say it was covered.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

camethodactor

Sep 21, 2007
Claremont, CA
✟15,629.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Green
From the synopsis of the film, God is not Dead is not my type of film. One of the prime supporters of this film is a Religious Right organization called the Alliance Defense Fund (ADF) or as it is better known today as the Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF). The ADF's founding leadership includes a wide range of Religious Right personalities as D. James Kennedy (Coral Ridge Ministries), Bill Bright and his Campus Crusade for Christ, James Dobson's Focus on the Family and Don Wildmon's American Family Association. The ADF has right been labeled as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) for the ADF's strong homophobia. Basically this film is a cinematic form of apologetics that appeals to socially conservative evangelicals and those in the religious right- using fear as a motivation for faith, employing the language of us vs them dualism to entice new followers, dragging the Lord's names into hatred, injustice and exclusionary actions and their stereotypes of God's humanist and Muslim children are unacceptable and contrary to the spirit of Jesus. Scripture says, "If anyone claims to the Love the Lord and yet hates a sister or brother they are lying". Jesus said, "If I be lifted up from the earth I shall draw all people to myself". The question that will be asked when we approach the throne of divine grace will not be- Did you profess a human created creed? or anything like that. The question will be- Did you care for the least among us?- Clothing the naked, feeding the hungry, giving drink to the thirsty, release of the captives, and stuff of that nature. Whatever we did to the least of these, we have done it to our Lord.

Upvote 0

Targaryen

Scripture,Tradition and Reason
Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
From the synopsis of the film, God is not Dead is not my type of film. One of the prime supporters of this film is a Religious Right organization called the Alliance Defense Fund (ADF) or as it is better known today as the Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF). The ADF's founding leadership includes a wide range of Religious Right personalities as D. James Kennedy (Coral Ridge Ministries), Bill Bright and his Campus Crusade for Christ, James Dobson's Focus on the Family and Don Wildmon's American Family Association. The ADF has right been labeled as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) for the ADF's strong homophobia. Basically this film is a cinematic form of apologetics that appeals to socially conservative evangelicals and those in the religious right- using fear as a motivation for faith, employing the language of us vs them dualism to entice new followers, dragging the Lord's names into hatred, injustice and exclusionary actions and their stereotypes of God's humanist and Muslim children are unacceptable and contrary to the spirit of Jesus. Scripture says, "If anyone claims to the Love the Lord and yet hates a sister or brother they are lying". Jesus said, "If I be lifted up from the earth I shall draw all people to myself". The question that will be asked when we approach the throne of divine grace will not be- Did you profess a human created creed? or anything like that. The question will be- Did you care for the least among us?- Clothing the naked, feeding the hungry, giving drink to the thirsty, release of the captives, and stuff of that nature. Whatever we did to the least of these, we have done it to our Lord.

Thank you for that bit of backgrounding information, helps me to avoid this movie. Jesus didn't promote hate, and I don't want to support a film that is supported by hate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟832,583.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As someone who is a social liberal and religious conservative, I have a problem with the very premise of the movie. It doesn't seem believable to me that an atheist professor in a public university is even *allowed* to require students to declare in writing, "God is dead," or risk failing the class. Would a Christian professor, even one in a private Christian university, be allowed to require students to declare in writing, "Jesus is Lord," or risk failing the class? Or would the administration be instantly up in arms? I don't see it happening either way.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
As someone who is a social liberal and religious conservative, I have a problem with the very premise of the movie. It doesn't seem believable to me that an atheist professor in a public university is even *allowed* to require students to declare in writing, "God is dead," or risk failing the class. Would a Christian professor, even one in a private Christian university, be allowed to require students to declare in writing, "Jesus is Lord," or risk failing the class? Or would the administration be instantly up in arms? I don't see it happening either way.

It might be an "interesting" social experiment. Not that I'd have the taste for it. Let's just say that I've seen tenured professors allowed a very great deal of leeway. In religious matters, as well as many others that they had no business inflicting their beliefs regarding.

All I have ever seen (or done myself) is basically "don't rock the boat" ... Maintain what dignity you can and draw lines where they must be, but basically hang in there until you get the credit.

Maybe it's not like that anymore. But it used to be a very difficult path to navigate, particularly as a female, as a Christian, and as a person with traditional family values.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship

It wouldn't be allowed. I got a private Christian university, and I've never heard of any professor requiring students to declare their faith for Jesus or fail the class. Sure, we take Bible classes, and faith is integrated, but I'm never heard of that happen. I think it would be interesting to see what would happen here if that occurred, but I don't think the administration would side with the professor because of the bad publicity it would create.

Upvote 0

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The simple explanation is that the entire premise is based on an urban legend that gets circulated through chain email and is meant solely to pander to the persecution complex of the Evangelical set (while, I might add, not actually getting the real point of that Nietzsche quote).

It's really not that different from the gross distortion that comes into the 'prayer in school' nonsense. It doesn't have to be believable to most people, only to those who want to play the part of an armchair martyr.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It might be an "interesting" social experiment. Not that I'd have the taste for it. Let's just say that I've seen tenured professors allowed a very great deal of leeway. In religious matters, as well as many others that they had no business inflicting their beliefs regarding.

All I have ever seen (or done myself) is basically "don't rock the boat" ... Maintain what dignity you can and draw lines where they must be, but basically hang in there until you get the credit.

Maybe it's not like that anymore. But it used to be a very difficult path to navigate, particularly as a female, as a Christian, and as a person with traditional family values.

I guess I should have gone on to say that I don't believe it would be allowed if it was taken to court. And because of threat of court, I don't think an administration would allow it, if they got brought into it.

But what I often saw play out in actuality is that things happened, and students didn't complain. The administration may or may not have known (certain things I'm fairly confident they were unaware of), but the result at that time was that the profs were essentially kings of their own little kingdoms.

And I have seen religious beliefs denigrated, sexual discrimination (and worse), and all manner of little "digs" going on at some times. Not widespread, not at all. But it happened, and not as isolated incidents either.

As I said, perhaps things are no longer like that. The social conscience (and more importantly, tendency to whistle-blowing) has perhaps increased since that time. I'm just not sure.

Upvote 0