Topeka, KS
✟9,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Over the past several months I feel like God has been speaking to me through songs. These songs usually pop in my head in the middle of the night. The songs are ones I have heard of but are not songs I have recently or regularly listened to. The songs are mostly secular, but almost always have a positive message of love. Does anyone else have God speak to them through songs? Below are some of the songs.

I’ll be There- Jackson 5
I’ll Take you There- The Staples
Shine- Collective Soul
Nightshift- The Commodores
Higher Love-Steve Winwood
Ooh ooh Child- The Five Stair Steps
Love Lift us up Where we Belong- Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes
Love Song- The Cure
Grace Got You- Mercy Me

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I once saw this open vision. Well we were praying and I saw something. So I called this very dear friend that had a bible study (prayed 4h a day) grandmother. This is how she answered me she said "when ever God shows me something it never has black in it nor goes down". See she never once said NO that was not of God. Yet what I saw was not of God.

I LOVE oh just LOVE music. I know those songs for me its always gospel music. Also this happens wow so so so much praise GOD. Like about a week ago me and my wife in the car I was talking about some problems and I said lets just give it toss it up to the lord. At that same moment the words from the music playing was by Jeremy Camp "Out of my hands and into Yours, out of my hands and into Yours". Not even a second after I said said it and we lifted out hands up those words played.

So for me.. me I know music but He always uses gospel since thats all I listen to for years now. Just anything that praises gives glory to my Father. It just switched one day. I lol loved listening to acid rock and so much more but one day it just stopped. I just for some reason didn't want to listen to it anymore. So can He use it for His glory I believe so :) We always need to test the spirits.

Upvote 0

David's Harp

Dec 7, 2021
Scotland
✟46,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
What a coincidence! I had been looking at another recent thread: Christian Influence on "Secular Music" and I had thought of one of the songs you have listed here - the one by Joe Cocker. Although, I'm not really sure it shows the greatness of God, because He is much greater than these songs could ever hope to be. Also, the love depicted in most of these songs is a different love than the love we share with Christ.

Having said that, I do believe He can speak through secular songs, as well as through other media, insomuch as the Spirit convicts us of the truth of any message in accordance with the Word.

Agree with @Blade above that as we grow we probably will choose to listen to secular music much less, if at all. And agree with testing the spirits.

One thing I would add is that some of the more modern 'Christian Music' has, in my opinion, become secularised, and in some cases commercialized.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jillybean736

Aug 4, 2022
Topeka, KS
✟9,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I once saw this open vision. Well we were praying and I saw something. So I called this very dear friend that had a bible study (prayed 4h a day) grandmother. This is how she answered me she said "when ever God shows me something it never has black in it nor goes down". See she never once said NO that was not of God. Yet what I saw was not of God.

I LOVE oh just LOVE music. I know those songs for me its always gospel music. Also this happens wow so so so much praise GOD. Like about a week ago me and my wife in the car I was talking about some problems and I said lets just give it toss it up to the lord. At that same moment the words from the music playing was by Jeremy Camp "Out of my hands and into Yours, out of my hands and into Yours". Not even a second after I said said it and we lifted out hands up those words played.

So for me.. me I know music but He always uses gospel since thats all I listen to for years now. Just anything that praises gives glory to my Father. It just switched one day. I lol loved listening to acid rock and so much more but one day it just stopped. I just for some reason didn't want to listen to it anymore. So can He use it for His glory I believe so :) We always need to test the spirits.
Thanks for replying. Yes, I almost exclusively listen to praise music now, but used to listen to mostly secular music. He has also sent me praise songs. One from Jeremy Camp called “Getting Started” and “River of Life” by Mac Powell. Sometimes just the tune to a hymn pops in my head, which I recognize, but don’t know the name. I always add these songs to my playlist. It is possible that they are not from God. I don’t feel like I have gotten a clear confirmation, but I do feel like they have brought me closer to him and have given me peace.

Upvote 0

Jillybean736

Aug 4, 2022
Topeka, KS
✟9,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What a coincidence! I had been looking at another recent thread: Christian Influence on "Secular Music" and I had thought of one of the songs you have listed here - the one by Joe Cocker. Although, I'm not really sure it shows the greatness of God, because He is much greater than these songs could ever hope to be. Also, the love depicted in most of these songs is a different love than the love we share with Christ.

Having said that, I do believe He can speak through secular songs, as well as through other media, insomuch as the Spirit convicts us of the truth of any message in accordance with the Word.

Agree with @Blade above that as we grow we probably will choose to listen to secular music much less, if at all. And agree with testing the spirits.

One thing I would add is that some of the more modern 'Christian Music' has, in my opinion, become secularised, and in some cases commercialized.
Thanks for replying. I do listen to mostly Christian music now. Still trying to decipher if the secular songs are from God. It is strange that they just happen to pop in my head in the middle of the night and have a message of love if they were not from him. Sometimes it is Christian songs or an old hymn that pops in my head. Some I recognize right away and some I don’t and have to look them up.

Upvote 0

surreal_platypus

Aug 24, 2022
Minnesota
✟11,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not sure what the devil would be gaining by "tricking" you into feeling a message and feel of love from God through music. "Hehehe doesn't this human know these songs are considered SECULAR?" Look at him bobbing his head, tapping his foot and loving and feeling God. BAHAHAHA! "

On a side note, you got some good tastes in music brother!

Upvote 0

Jillybean736

Aug 4, 2022
Topeka, KS
✟9,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not sure what the devil would be gaining by "tricking" you into feeling a message and feel of love from God through music. "Hehehe doesn't this human know these songs are considered SECULAR?" Look at him bobbing his head, tapping his foot and loving and feeling God. BAHAHAHA! "

On a side note, you got some good tastes in music brother!

Upvote 0

Jillybean736

Aug 4, 2022
Topeka, KS
✟9,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exactly my thoughts. If the songs bring me closer to God and make me think of him more then they couldn’t be from the devil. I read a blog a lady wrote that said God definitely speaks through secular music. She said he speaks in numerous ways and will meet you where you are at. I do listen to a lot of Christian music, but still have a passion for 60’s, 70’s and 80’s music. I also tend to send songs to people as a way of communicating, so I think he sends them to me because that is how I would communicate. One of my favorite songs he sent me a couple weeks ago is Nothing’s Gonna Stop us Now” by Starship. It is just so joyful and makes me feel like I am on cloud nine.

Upvote 0

surreal_platypus

Aug 24, 2022
Minnesota
✟11,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Exactly my thoughts. If the songs bring me closer to God and make me think of him more then they couldn’t be from the devil. I read a blog a lady wrote that said God definitely speaks through secular music. She said he speaks in numerous ways and will meet you where you are at. I do listen to a lot of Christian music, but still have a passion for 60’s, 70’s and 80’s music. I also tend to send songs to people as a way of communicating, so I think he sends them to me because that is how I would communicate. One of my favorite songs he sent me a couple weeks ago is Nothing’s Gonna Stop us Now” by Starship. It is just so joyful and makes me feel like I am on cloud nine.

God is everywhere and all powerful and capable, I don't think he's just gonna limit himself to Christian music, I believe he can speak through non-Christians and use them for good as well as he is still the creator of them.
I believe he won't speak through just any music though, there is probably a line he has drawn. But I'm just giving my opinion, listen to your heart and follow the spirit brother.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums