Nov 13, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Visit site
✟242.00
Faith
Messianic
Pastor Carl said:
Ed:

Again one of the Hebrew words for God is "Elohim". This is plural. Now either this refers to the Trinity or to the fact that there are numerous gods.
Not necessarily true, the word "Elohim" though plural in form is not always used in the Hebrew scriptures as plural (e.g Moses, some of the singular false g-ds). I would have to look it up but I did read somewhere mentioned that there are other examples of words that are plural in form but not necessarily plural in meaning however I would have to study this statement's accuracy further:

In Biblical Hebrew, a noun that is plural in form is not necessarily plural in meaning - a fact most Messianic leaders realize, yet seem to ignore. For instance, the Hebrew words chayim (chayeem, "life") [2] and panim (paneem, "face", "presence", "countenance") [3] are plural in form, but almost always singular in meaning. Another word, adon, "lord", "master", [4] is often plural in form. In its plural form it is sometimes used of a single person - Abraham (Gen. 24:9-10), Joseph (Gen. 42:30,33), the king of Egypt (Gen. 40:1) and an anonymous "fierce king" under whose rule the Egyptians were prophesied to come (Isa. 19:4, NRSV). There are instances of other plural Hebrew words employed in the Hebrew Bible with singular meaning.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.