Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Why the expulsion from Eden? In the mythology, I believe it to be symbolic that mankind was no longer a naïve creature living in moral ignorance but had become real men and women living in a real world where there was real good and evil.

Jack,

With that kind of statement you provide evidence that the content of Scriptures is ignored by you.

What does the biblical text state about why Adam and Eve were expelled from the Garden?

22 Then the Lord God said, “See, the man has become like one of us, knowing good and evil; and now, he might reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life, and eat, and live forever”— 23 therefore the Lord God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from which he was taken. 24 He drove out the man; and at the east of the garden of Eden he placed the cherubim, and a sword flaming and turning to guard the way to the tree of life (Gen 3:22-24).​

When you invent a mythological interpretation of Gen 3, you look past the evidence in the text. When the man "has become like one of us ... knowing good and evil ... [God] drove out the man". That's what God did and it is very different from your interpretation of Genesis as mythology.

In your post, you provide zero evidence from the biblical text. What was provided? Your imposition of your view on the text. These are your presuppositions that are not stated in the biblical text of Genesis:

1. "I do not read the Genesis myth as a fall from an original state of perfection into sin and death."

2. "The first couple were completely innocent and naive creatures. They were certainly capable of making a mistake but, without knowing good from evil, they lacked even the ability to sin. That ability came only with them eating of the "Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil"."

3. "Our mythical first couple graduated from animal status into to fully self aware human beings capable of making moral judgements. This is not an Original Sin story but rather an Original Blessing story that should be celebrated." "An Original Blessing story" that brought corruption into the whole world!:doh::ebil: That's not what Romans 8:18–22 states:
18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us. the revealing of the sons of God. was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it, in hope the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God. the whole creation thas been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now (ESV).
That doesn't sound too much like "Original Blessing" to me.

4. "We are not a people fallen from an original state of perfection into sin and death. What we are is a people that is still evolving. We are no longer "just animals" but something more".

Jack, you are trying to convince us of the content of your theologically liberal agenda. I don't buy into it because it lacks biblical content and authority. It comes with the authority of JackRT and Jack Spong.

Oz

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have no doubt that you find my interpretation problematic but it is the only one that makes sense to me in the light of scripture and theology and science. Please recall also that a mythology like Genesis is itself an interpretation so that you and I are attempting to interpret an interpretation.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I have no doubt that you find my interpretation problematic but it is the only one that makes sense to me in the light of scripture and theology and science. Please recall also that a mythology like Genesis is itself an interpretation so that you and I are attempting to interpret an interpretation.

Jack,

You didn't address any of the issues I raised about your imposition on the text with your presuppositions.

:wave:

Oz

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Nobody "fell". They used their spiritual gift of "free will" to knowingly disobey God...the first disobedience. God disciplined A&E for that and their Body/Soul combos became mortal, world chaos, The "seed of woman" was promised, the devil was allowed. Their spirits remained immortal.
The sin nature of Man has existed in all except One: Jesus the Christ.

• Agree
Reactions: OzSpen
Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Myth only points, Truth happened!
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nobody "fell". They used their spiritual gift of "free will" to knowingly disobey God...the first disobedience. God disciplined A&E for that and their Body/Soul combos became mortal, world chaos, The "seed of woman" was promised, the devil was allowed. Their spirits remained immortal.
Ron, that seems like a fall to me.:D

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Ron, the sin of Adam and Eve is universally referred to as "The Fall" by Christians, since it was a fall from a state of perfection to a state of sin.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ron, the sin of Adam and Eve is universally referred to as "The Fall" by Christians, since it was a fall from a state of perfection to a state of sin.

No, "The Fall" reference is not universal although it is certainly in a large majority.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
A&E were in / near the Garden of Eden, Not "Paradise". They were not animals...they were perfect homo sapiens with Body / Soul / Spirit/. Their Body / Soul combo only was denied immortality.

Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Their Body / Soul combo only was denied immortality.
That is a change from an earth that provides for life to an earth that compels the body/soul to serve tha laws of survival. Urges to reproduce and objectify the other for pleasure etc. We didn't have s need to survive untill we had a body that dies.

Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God made rational creatures in His image and likeness. Love gives and God desires to share His divine life with creatures.

In His image and likeness we are self determined creatures. God made man for his own sake. Man is a free moral agent.

God knew that power would be abused. That abuse of divine likeness isn't an evil greater than the good of creatures that are in His image and likeness.

God didn't ordain His own image and likeness to reject Him. That isn't the order God created. The potential for that rejection would be reduced to act and God knew that would happen. That being so, God ordained that the conditions that result from being rejected would produce the necessary environment and the active agents to open the doors to the greater good He desires to give. This shouldn't be confused with God ordaining sin for a greater good. Doing evil to bring about good is still doing evil.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums