Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The founding fathers also thought it was acceptable to treat human beings as chattel. So maybe their judgment could be questioned.
That was a compromise forced upon those in the Northern states by the leaders and people of the Southern states. If that compromise wasn't accepted, then the South would not have joined in with the American Revolution nor would have Southern leaders signed the Declaration of Independence.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In one tweet posted on X, Przybyla claimed, “There are different wings of Christian Nationalism [and] they are bound by their belief that our rights come from God,” and seemingly insisted that Christians who support pro-life policies are “Christian nationalists.”
In fact our nation's founding document acknowledges that our rights come from God.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,340.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
In fact our nation's founding document acknowledges that our rights come from God.

This validates the comments I made in post 40 (copied below). It appears that some US Christians credit the constitution/Bill of Rights with the same infallibility as the Bible. In my experience on CF this attitude is not unusual.

Over more than a decade of reading conservative American Christian views I've found that many of them speak of your constitution and Bill of Rights as if they were sacred text and, your "Founding Fathers" as something akin to prophets.

This view seems to unconsciously trickle down to less extreme US Christians where there is a sense that the constitution is seen as fixed and unchangeable - not unlike their view of the Bible.
OB

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Over more than a decade of reading conservative American Christian views I've found that many of them speak of your constitution and Bill of Rights as if they were sacred text and, your "Founding Fathers" as something akin to prophets.

This view seems to unconsciously trickle down to less extreme US Christians where there is a sense that the constitution is seen as fixed and unchangeable - not unlike their view of the Bible.

OB
This is absolutely true, and what’s more is that it’s most common among the sects that claim to hew most closely to the literal reading of scripture. They’re completely oblivious to how they’re conflating their politics and their religion.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,448.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
That was a compromise forced upon those in the Northern states by the leaders and people of the Southern states.
Did the founders accept the institution of chattel slavery, yes or not? Also, since I think you are referring to the Declaration of Independence, it's worth noting that 2 of the Committee of Five, including the person universally recognized as the chief writer, were slaveowners. And of the other three, only one was an active abolitionist. So my point still stands.
If that compromise wasn't accepted, then the South would not have joined in with the American Revolution nor would have Southern leaders signed the Declaration of Independence.
That compromise as you call it happened after the Revolution had succeeded. It's true that certain states probably wouldn't have ratified the new Constitution if it restricted slavery, but that doesn't erase the fact that expanding the size of the country was considered more important than emancipation of enslaved persons.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This validates the comments I made in post 40 (copied below). It appears that some US Christians credit the constitution/Bill of Rights with the same infallibility as the Bible. In my experience on CF this attitude is not unusual.

OB
Some people think all kinds of things. There was great unity in what was said in our Declaration of Independence and the acknowledgement that our rights come from God. There was a lot of disagreement as to what should go into our Constitution, which is really the framework for the Declaration.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,340.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Some people think all kinds of things. There was great unity in what was said in our Declaration of Independence and the acknowledgement that our rights come from God. There was a lot of disagreement as to what should go into our Constitution, which is really the framework for the Declaration.
None of this justifies the belief that the US constitution/Bill of Rights is God-given.

OB

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
None of this justifies the belief that the US constitution/Bill of Rights is God-given.

OB
No one here said it did, and your comment was the first I'd heard about such people. It sounds like the progressive, Przybyla, mentioned in the article is unaware that our founding document states our rights come from God. It's important to see the wisdom in the George Washington quote from the article: “Religion and morality are indispensable supports for our political prosperity.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,340.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
No one here said it did, and your comment was the first I'd heard about such people. It sounds like the progressive, Przybyla, mentioned in the article is unaware that our founding document states our rights come from God.

After pointing out that 'our nations founding document/rights come from God' are you telling me that you do not believe this to be true?

OB

• Optimistic
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Why wou
After pointing out that 'our nations founding document/rights come from God' are you telling me that you do not believe this to be true?

OB
A strange conversation. Why would you think that? Yes, I agree with the founders that our rights come from God. Those that don't believe it are welcome to stay here in the United States or leave if they wish.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟265,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged

Where is it in the Bible that your deity is gives us rights such as “life,” “liberty,” and the “pursuit of happiness”? I want the book, chapter, and verse from the Bible this comes from.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
But will the progressive left stop dictating and forcing their agenda upon the rest of America?
I guess they’ll stop when Christians leave the rest of us alone.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The progressive left is forcing the LGBTQIA+ agenda upon those who disagree with it.
But your right to disagree with it is not being taken away. By the government. You’re going to cop heaps in society but that’s because you’re Christian rules are no longer relevant.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Why wou

A strange conversation. Why would you think that? Yes, I agree with the founders that our rights come from God. Those that don't believe it are welcome to stay here in the United States or leave if they wish.
Thank you, you re very gracious to let us live in your country.

• Love
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I stand by my statement. Pagan rule is a disaster.
What about all those north European countries? Way better standard of living that then the US and far more ‘pagan’.

Oh the horror! Affordable health care, less wealth inequality, schools safe for children. A living nightmare.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Where is it in the Bible that your deity is gives us rights such as “life,” “liberty,” and the “pursuit of happiness”? I want the book, chapter, and verse from the Bible this comes from.
Better to ask politely, atheist or not.
Romans 11: 36 For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory for ever. Amen. RSVCE

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
You guys get together, pool your money, buy Greenland and have your Bible-believing Christian utopia. I'll even donate.
Make sure to have enough money left over to buy a nuclear rocket bomb to keep the bad weather away.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The progressive left is forcing the LGBTQIA+ agenda upon those who disagree with it.

I don't think they're actually doing that, are they? I mean, if I go up to any one, single person who identifies as LGBTQIA+, not one of them is really going to tell me to just shut up, step to the side and make way for a proletarian style revolution. That's just not realistic on their part. Not any more so than it would be for any one Christian Nationalist to do so from their side of the political spectrum.

Besides, we all know it's not as if any full-fledged Marxism is true anyway. In fact, we all know this ...

Upvote 0