wonderwaleye

Dec 23, 2005
MISSISSIPPI
✟5,952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I stumbled upon some article online that a woman had made that said God does change his mind. ??? This confuses me a little bit... Is this true???

Direct from the BOSS!!!

Sirach
Chapter 3:
21 What is committed to you, attend to; for what is hidden is not your concern.

22 With what is too much for you meddle not, when shown things beyond human understanding.

23 Their own opinion has misled many, and false reasoning unbalanced their judgment.

Still want to know?

LOVE

steven :hug:

Upvote 0

Doveaman

Re-Created, Not Evolved.
Mar 4, 2009
✟77,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I stumbled upon some article online that a woman had made that said God does change his mind. ??? This confuses me a little
bit... Is this true???

Thanks
:)

God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak
and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?
...Num 23:19.

He who is the Glory of Israel does not lie or change his mind; for he is not a man, that he should change
his mind
...1 Sam 15:29.

Upvote 0

AmeriLovesJesus

BELIEVING IS SEEING
Jan 18, 2004
New Jersey
Visit site
✟16,350.00
Faith
Christian
God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak
and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?
...Num 23:19.

He who is the Glory of Israel does not lie or change his mind; for he is not a man, that he should change
his mind
...1 Sam 15:29.

Thanks to the both of you... I believed God has written our lives already.. knows everything before it takes place... To have an indecisive God sounds very unstable... especially for me.. as Im learning now how to be a little bit more decisive myself & to think that God.. could be the same could confuse me more..

Upvote 0

wonderwaleye

Dec 23, 2005
MISSISSIPPI
✟5,952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks to the both of you... I believed God has written our lives already.. knows everything before it takes place... To have an indecisive God sounds very unstable... especially for me.. as Im learning now how to be a little bit more decisive myself & to think that God.. could be the same could confuse me more..

Remember you can't keep a foot on each side of the line. With GOD it's either all or nothing. Some folks get real mad when you bring them to a point of decision.

LOVE

Upvote 0

AmeriLovesJesus

BELIEVING IS SEEING
Jan 18, 2004
New Jersey
Visit site
✟16,350.00
Faith
Christian
Remember you can't keep a foot on each side of the line. With GOD it's either all or nothing. Some folks get real mad when you bring them to a point of decision.

LOVE

That use to be me.. or Id not make a decision at all... yeah bad I know.. but I have acknowledged that & would definitely love for God to keeping teaching me. Ive seen where all this indecisive stuff has led me............ nowhere.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I stumbled upon some article online that a woman had made that said God does change his mind. ??? This confuses me a little bit... Is this true???

Hey ALJ ,

How's things up in The Garden State ?

Yes , God has been described as having changed His mind , even though there are some statement which proclaim that He won't !

This doesn't have to be confusing , for after praying for wisdom and understanding , the answer is revealed relatively simple .

When God through a prophet spoke a declaration that such and such was going to occur ... and then because people took heed and repented before God , He changed their sentence as it were and showed mercy , giving the impression that He changed His Mind ... but He really didn't , no , not so much as the people who listened to His warning changed , and since they changed , the old sentence no longer applied .

God can see everything at once , from beginning to end , there is no need therefore for Him to change His mind , in the sense that new information could displace an old idea ... but when His mind is towards us in a disapproving manner , and He lets us know it , and we then take steps to gain or regain His approval , His disapproval ceases , and it appears His mind has changed ... but really His mind is always set on helping us become all we need to be in Christ , so that He can Bless us freely forever as His dearly beloved sons and daughters .

God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good? <-----> Numbers 23:19

The LORD repented for this: It shall not be, saith the LORD. <-----> Amos 7:3

The LORD repented for this: This also shall not be, saith the Lord GOD. <-----> Amos 7:6

Oh , and it can work the other way too , where God says someone shall receive something good , ( based on their relationship to Him ) , but then if they abandon the very foundation for that relationship , then what God promised them , may also be changed .

Wherefore the LORD God of Israel saith, I said indeed that thy house, and the house of thy father, should walk before me for ever: but now the LORD saith, Be it far from me; for them that honor me I will honor, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. <-----> 1st Samuel 2:30

If God becomes closer or farther away , it's because we moved ... not He !

For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed. <-----> Malachi 3:6

[ God ] will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. <-----> 1st Timothy 2:4

The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. <-----> 2nd Peter 3:9

The only reason God can appear weak or variable is because He delights in mercy and does not force us to comply , but is seeking out a people who cheerfully and willingly choose what is good , and true , and right !

May The Lord Be Pleased to Bless !

wm

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
God changed His mind on several occasions in Scripture. For example Abraham pleading for Sodom and God accepting lower numbers each time. Or Moses interceding with God, so that God changed His mind about destroying the Israelites.

John
NZ

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

homewardbound

Sep 8, 2004
Sweet Home Alabama
✟10,169.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
God can see everything at once , from beginning to end , there is no need therefore for Him to change His mind , in the sense that new information could displace an old idea ... but when His mind is towards us in a disapproving manner , and He lets us know it , and we then take steps to gain or regain His approval , His disapproval ceases , and it appears His mind has changed ... but really His mind is always set on helping us become all we need to be in Christ , so that He can Bless us freely forever as His dearly beloved sons and daughters .

Very good point, WM. We tend to forget that God knows everything that will happen and has already decided how, where, when, and to what degree he will participate in human affairs. What might seem to us to be a change of mind is nothing of the sort, but is rather an action on His part to teach, guide, discipline, or encourage.

Upvote 0

Nobody1

Jun 5, 2009
✟499.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Not really. God knows everything from the beginning, so how can He change His mind.

There are many cases in Scripture, however, where He relents from destruction He had planned. Is that changing His mind as men do? No.

It is an interaction with people.

Does He change His mind about promises? No. But, people misunderstand Him. For instance, the whole exodus from Egypt and leading the people to the Promised Land... how many understood that He was really using all of that as a metaphor for the real Promised Land? (The Kingdom of Heaven in one's heart.)

And as for changing His mind about what is wicked, no. Those who taught legalism yesterday were called Pharisees and Sadducees and those who teach it today do the same evil but have different names. If they do the same things as their spiritual ancestors does this make them different, or would God suddenly change His mind about what they are doing (sowing unbelief)? No.

Some see a different God in the Laws and Prophets then the God in Jesus Christ -- but this is man's own demented mind that can not reconcile the One.

Upvote 0

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Very good point, WM. We tend to forget that God knows everything that will happen and has already decided how, where, when, and to what degree he will participate in human affairs. What might seem to us to be a change of mind is nothing of the sort, but is rather an action on His part to teach, guide, discipline, or encourage.

Hi hwb ,

Appreciate the positive feedback and agree with your synopsis as well !

For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. <-----> Romans 8:29

wm

Upvote 0

aldar

Dec 31, 2006
TEXAS
✟16,543.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Here are few verses that might bring a balance to this conversation,

God is not so..... unchanging.

Jer 19:5
They have built also the high places of Baal, to burn their sons with fire [for] burnt offerings unto Baal, which I commanded not, nor spake [it], neither came [it] into my mind

Some say that God learns things and is surprised by the actions of men, men can do things God never thought they would do...

Gen 6:6
The LORD was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart.

If God can be sorry and regret...then his mind can change.

Gen 6:7
The LORD said, "I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, from man to animals to creeping things and to birds of the sky; for I am sorry that I have made them."

Again, the way God views man, and whether or not he should have made them has changed. God said he was sorry ie regretted making them... something, something in God had changed.

God did change his mind. He changed his mind about whether or not making man was a good idea... it clearly says it right there doesn't it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

aldar

Dec 31, 2006
TEXAS
✟16,543.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
well...that doesn't really make sense...ya know?
He made clear statements, it seems nonbeneficial to create unenterpretable theories that leave us with no clear answers or or knowledge in order to answer our questions, just so he remains to appear the same... I think we should stick with what he said and let him describe himself.

If this was the case, would his statment have been true at all? It appears not.
I am not debating...

Upvote 0

One day at a time

Always in a state of change.....
Apr 26, 2009
sitting in my recliner--I'm sure!
✟73,355.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hey ALJ ,

How's things up in The Garden State ?

Yes , God has been described as having changed His mind , even though there are some statement which proclaim that He won't !

This doesn't have to be confusing , for after praying for wisdom and understanding , the answer is revealed relatively simple .

When God through a prophet spoke a declaration that such and such was going to occur ... and then because people took heed and repented before God , He changed their sentence as it were and showed mercy , giving the impression that He changed His Mind ... but He really didn't , no , not so much as the people who listened to His warning changed , and since they changed , the old sentence no longer applied .

God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good? <-----> Numbers 23:19

The LORD repented for this: It shall not be, saith the LORD. <-----> Amos 7:3

The LORD repented for this: This also shall not be, saith the Lord GOD. <-----> Amos 7:6

Oh , and it can work the other way too , where God says someone shall receive something good , ( based on their relationship to Him ) , but then if they abandon the very foundation for that relationship , then what God promised them , may also be changed .

Wherefore the LORD God of Israel saith, I said indeed that thy house, and the house of thy father, should walk before me for ever: but now the LORD saith, Be it far from me; for them that honor me I will honor, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. <-----> 1st Samuel 2:30

If God becomes closer or farther away , it's because we moved ... not He !

For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed. <-----> Malachi 3:6

[ God ] will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. <-----> 1st Timothy 2:4

The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. <-----> 2nd Peter 3:9

The only reason God can appear weak or variable is because He delights in mercy and does not force us to comply , but is seeking out a people who cheerfully and willingly choose what is good , and true , and right !

May The Lord Be Pleased to Bless !

wm

:thumbsup: :amen: I agree!

Upvote 0

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom

Hi again ,

I'm glad your agreeableness !

To respond a bit further ...

It may well be true that God being Holy doesn't relate very well to the desperately depraved things which humans sometimes do , but in order for God to be surprised , He would have to somewhat unaware ... and that's not consistent with being Omniscient , which a number of Scriptures declare God Is .

He reveals the deep and secret things: he knows what is in the darkness, and the light dwells with him. <-----> Daniel 2:22

And it is true that God has grieved over how bad man had become , but for this to have been unforeseeable , God would have to limited by time constraints , and not be Omnipresent , as Scripture also affirms .

Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world. <-----> Acts 15:18

Furthermore , God did express remorse over how badly the humans He created turned out , but to suggest that this means He somehow faltered as humanity does , goes against Him being Omnipotent . Which is also proclaimed by Scripture .

Ah Lord GOD! behold, thou hast made the heaven and the earth by thy great power and stretched out arm, and there is nothing too hard for thee: <-----> Jeremiah 32:17

It seems likely that God is often anthropomorphized because as humans we cannot easily relate to God , so He is described as a " he " for example , or as someone who had to " change his mind " , because we can initially relate to God better in such a context ; but there's a danger in taking these allowances for the sake of relating , as if they were technically applicable to God , even as they are to us ... for if we begin to do just that - we potentially end up with an impression of God which is more akin to a bumbling / fumbling " wizard of Oz " , than the One whose Greatness greatly exceeds all of our abilities to comprehend .

I have also spoken by the prophets, and I have multiplied visions, and used similitudes, by the ministry of the prophets. <-----> Hosea 12:10

similitude -

1 a: counterpart, double b: a visible likeness : image
2: an imaginative comparison : simile
3 a: correspondence in kind or quality b: a point of comparison

Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us,
Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.
<-----> Ephesians 3:20+21

Sincerely ,

wm

Upvote 0

favoredbyGod

Feb 2, 2007
✟8,229.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well I believe sometimes he does change his mind, like many of the harsh laws in the old testament were "done away with" when Christ came on the scene in the New testament.
Another instance, I believe it was Hezekiah that God told to get his house in order because he was going to die that day, but then God came back because of Hezekiah's obedience and added years unto his life. (seems like he changed his mind)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.