God: begotten not created.

phsyxx

Aug 3, 2005
✟8,318.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
In all honesty. Assuming god exists worshipping him despite all that isn't that absurd as he'd be the creator of everything. Good AND bad. Calling him benevolent despite all that makes no sense though. Say that his sense of morality is much too complex to understand for us or whatever you want. But don't tell me he's benevolent.

So anyway, in the defense of the theists it does not make god(ASSUMING he exists) any less real.

Thanks for your post wr4ith - but I was talking specifically about the Christian God.
If I want to talk about another creator deity, I will refer to them as such, or by the name given by believers of that particular religion.

Upvote 0

Wr4ith

Aug 27, 2006
Belgium
✟7,969.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for your post wr4ith - but I was talking specifically about the Christian God.
If I want to talk about another creator deity, I will refer to them as such, or by the name given by believers of that particular religion.
I knew you were. But I prefered saying theists instead of Christians to avoid a possible argument I was fearing.

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Unprovable?

Ok - so why does AIDS exist?
Why are there starving children in Africa, one dying every 3 seconds?
Why does Cancer exist?
Why does suffering occur?

What is the need for Volcanic eruptions?
What is the need for Hurricanes?
For Earthquakes?
Tsunamis?
Forest Fires?
Severe Thunderstorms?
Monsoons?
Flooding?

Are you simply going to explain all this away with you "Nothing is impossible for God" claim?

We simply 'tag' all of this under one four-letter word to make it simpler to say, rather than listing all of the needless suffering that takes place in the world - and that is, "evil".
Whether man-made or natural, or completely out of human controls - "evil" (these things which cause suffering) DOES exist. And its effects are undeniable.

So, "nothing is impossible for God."

Why doesn't he stop it?
Evil is only from men, not the weather. Evil is not stopped by God because God created us to love and we are only able to love if we are capable of being unloving which results in evil. God put your here to feed the starving children and alieve the suffering of others in hurricanes. Why are you blaming God instead of doing what He created you to do?

Upvote 0

phsyxx

Aug 3, 2005
✟8,318.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Evil is only from men, not the weather. Evil is not stopped by God because God created us to love and we are only able to love if we are capable of being unloving which results in evil. God put your here to feed the starving children and alieve the suffering of others in hurricanes. Why are you blaming God instead of doing what He created you to do?

You're telling me I'm responsible for hurricanes?

"Evil is not stopped by God because he created us to love" -
right - so what part of that, exactly is a logical statement, the second part of the sentence clearly drawn in a conclusion from the first ....er...right.

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married

"Evil is not stopped by God because he created us to love" -
right - so what part of that, exactly is a logical statement, the second part of the sentence clearly drawn in a conclusion from the first ....er...right.

Hurricanes my be tragic and cause destruction. They are not evil. Evil is a concious being doing unloving things to another conscious being.

Upvote 0

daniel777

Feb 13, 2007
America
✟12,839.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

right, in christianity evil comes as a result of free will and choice....garden, tree, choice, sin, death.---still continuing today.

in a way, all humanity is responsible for pain and death....not nececarily for the hurricane...but for the destruction it brings.

here's a bit off topic...but it's hard to stay on topic in these sort of discussions. here.

here's a Q. before the fall were there hurricanes? if there were would they bring distruction? if they brought destruction would it affect us negatively, would we even consider the destruction it brought as "destruction"? if we did, would we consider destruction negative or would destruction be percieved as good? forget the hurricanes. a great deal of misery could possibly be caused by how we percieve things. death and pain are natural. is "natural" good? and if "natural" isn't good, then by what standard isn't it? and even more, are our perceptions good? is pain good? if pain is good is it good for good people, or bad people? if pain is bad is it bad for good people, or bad people? would the good recognize it as pain?

there's my thought for the day...i'm going to bed.

Upvote 0