New York
✟71,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
My Bible says that both men and women are created in the image of God (Genesis 1:27: So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

On the other hand, my Bible does not say "woman is the image of man." It says "woman is the glory of man" (1 Corinthians 11:7).
giphy.gif

THIS is why we get along splendidly, @Radagast.

Upvote 0

Sam81

Jesus is everything
Sep 12, 2016
Texas
✟27,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
giphy.gif

THIS is why we get along splendidly, @Radagast.
Oh yeah he really got me.

Not.

He posted it himself. In the image of God created He him; male and female created He them.

Notice it doesn't say, in the image of God created He them; male and female created He them.

"For a man ought not to have his head covered, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man."

If man being the image of God is a reason for him not to have his head covered, then why is a woman allowed to have her head covered?

Upvote 0

Sam81

Jesus is everything
Sep 12, 2016
Texas
✟27,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Why do I waste my time posting scripture? Feminists disregard scripture by believing that women can be pastors when the Bible clearly speaks against that. It's not as if feminists care what the Bible says.

If I seem unreasonable it's because there's an evil spirit of feminism loose in the western world that is destroying the family and our culture. They're even making Bibles that do away with the male pronouns for God and lutherans actually remove male pronouns from their hymns. This is wickedness.

This has no place among Christians. There's an order to things. The man is the head of the family, and in church matters a woman is not permitted to have authority over a man. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in error.

The fact that the OP thinks that referring to God as a goddess is as equally valid/invalid as referring to Him as God, is indicative of serious spiritual deficiency.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Disclaimer to male readers: I am a straight and manly 6 foot 200 pound man, who is red blooded and I am not a progressive or “feminist” or liberal. It’s ok to keep reading and not just dismiss it because you think I’m a woman.

God is a spirit being. God had no gender or physical representation. While Jesus manifested as a male human, he existed as a member of the triune God for eternity before creation.
While it can be argued Jesus is entirely male, there is no scriptural defense for the position that God is male in any way.

The scriptures use the male pronoun to refer to God by default, through translation, and because the scriptures were written in patriarchal societies where the male pronoun would be used for a deity.

As Goddess is a spirit and gender free, she does not have a gender.

The previous sentence sounds weird and is inaccurate. It also doesn’t use common scriptural male terms for God so it feels uncomfortable. However, it is equally as inaccurate as the following sentence:

As God is a spirit and gender free he does not have a gender.

God is not male. It’s OK to admit it, it won’t make you turn blue. :)

but seriously, where am I wrong, any scripture to demonstrate God is male? Do you have a problem with my perspective here shared (other than my Lame jokes) or is it acceptable theologically.

thanks! I’m mostly trying this out because I want to talk to my pastor about it but I don’t want to miss anything important. Thanks!

Jesus referred to God as
Our Father
case closed.
M

• Winner
Reactions: Sam81
Upvote 0

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Yes I used goddess intentionally to highlight how improper it is to view God as male but I shouldn’t have because it was inflammatory
Years ago I read quotes from a feminist Bible where they had changed the gender of God, e.g. Our Mother, who is in Heaven... and so on.

I wasn't in favour and particularly as it seemed to render the whole thing a bit nonsensical. Arguing that God has gender is one thing, but actually changing 'his' gender doesn't solve the problem it only makes it worse.

The fact is we have no real way of referring to generderless beings because we don't actually know any apart from God and in the original text male references can also refer to female if the context is right (e.g. brothers sometimes really means brothers and sisters).

It might be more helpful if churches occasionally reminded their congregation that God is, rather than God is male.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is God male or female? | GotQuestions.org

Question: "Is God male or female?"

Answer:
In examining Scripture, two facts become clear. First, God is a Spirit and does not possess human characteristics or limitations. Second, all the evidence contained in Scripture agrees that God revealed Himself to mankind in a male form. To begin, God’s true nature needs to be understood. God is a Person, obviously, because God exhibits all the characteristics of personhood: God has a mind, a will, an intellect, and emotions. God communicates and He has relationships, and God’s personal actions are evidenced throughout Scripture.

Scripture contains approximately 170 references to God as the “Father.” By necessity, one cannot be a father unless one is male. If God had chosen to be revealed to man in a female form, then the word “mother” would have occurred in these places, not “father.” In the Old and New Testaments, masculine pronouns are used over and over again in reference to God.

Jesus Christ referred to God as the Father several times and in other cases used masculine pronouns in reference to God. In the Gospels alone, Christ uses the term “Father” in direct reference to God nearly 160 times. Of particular interest is Christ’s statement in John 10:30: “I and the Father are one.”

• Optimistic
Reactions: GaveMeJoy
Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟411,930.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There would be no need for that semicolon and second statement if both male and female were made in the image of God. It would just say "them" to begin with.
Genesis 1:27 Interlinear: And God prepareth the man in His image; in the image of God He prepared him, a male and a female He prepared them.

My friend, have a look at the interlinear and you will notice that punctuation is not a big thing in the original text, hebrew or greek.

Again, 1st Corinthians 11:7
"For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man."

The great struggle I have with the Pauline argument you present here is the sense that it appears to suggest that women are a 2nd class version of humanity, whereas men are a 1st class version of humanity. This really does not stack up.

Paul Wrote:
Galatians 3:28
There is no longer Jew or Greek, there is no longer slave or free, there is no longer male and female; for all of you are one in Christ Jesus.

Romans 16:-16
I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a deacon of the church at Cenchreae, so that you may welcome her in the Lord as is fitting for the saints, and help her in whatever she may require from you, for she has been a benefactor of many and of myself as well. Greet Prisca and Aquila, who work with me in Christ Jesus, and who risked their necks for my life, to whom not only I give thanks, but also all the churches of the Gentiles. Greet also the church in their house. Greet my beloved Epaenetus, who was the first convert in Asia for Christ. Greet Mary, who has worked very hard among you. Greet Andronicus and Junia, my relatives who were in prison with me; they are prominent among the apostles, and they were in Christ before I was. Greet Ampliatus, my beloved in the Lord. Greet Urbanus, our co-worker in Christ, and my beloved Stachys. Greet Apelles, who is approved in Christ. Greet those who belong to the family of Aristobulus. Greet my relative Herodion. Greet those in the Lord who belong to the family of Narcissus. Greet those workers in the Lord, Tryphaena and Tryphosa. Greet the beloved Persis, who has worked hard in the Lord. Greet Rufus, chosen in the Lord; and greet his mother—a mother to me also. Greet Asyncritus, Phlegon, Hermes, Patrobas, Hermas, and the brothers and sisters who are with them. Greet Philologus, Julia, Nereus and his sister, and Olympas, and all the saints who are with them. Greet one another with a holy kiss. All the churches of Christ greet you.​

The argument of the 1 Corinthians passage seems to reflect the culture of a society where women were to be treated as 2nd best, in a way that might give rise to what has been dubbed the Pharisee's prayer 'Lord, I thank thee that thou madest me not a woman'. Other Pauline passages show very clearly that he saw women as every bit as good, and equal co-workers in the Gospel, not a divinely approved male chauvinist as often championed.

oremus Bible Browser

History is littered with women and men whose lives have been lived to the glory of God. There are also many whose lives have been lived otherwise. It would be bogus to suggest that Mother Teresa of Calcutta, Mother Mary MacKillop, or Catherine of Aragon lived lives that gave glory to men rather than to God.

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟411,930.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I also felt this was helpful:

239 By calling God "Father", the language of faith indicates two main things: that God is the first origin of everything and transcendent authority; and that he is at the same time goodness and loving care for all his children. God's parental tenderness can also be expressed by the image of motherhood, which emphasizes God's immanence, the intimacy between Creator and creature. The language of faith thus draws on the human experience of parents, who are in a way the first representatives of God for man. But this experience also tells us that human parents are fallible and can disfigure the face of fatherhood and motherhood. We ought therefore to recall that God transcends the human distinction between the sexes. He is neither man nor woman: he is God. He also transcends human fatherhood and motherhood, although he is their origin and standard: no one is father as God is Father.
Catechism of the Catholic Church - The Father
Catechism of the Catholic Church at 239 - my emphasis on the relevant point.

Not a source I normally quote, and this does represent the official teach of the RCC on this point.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,160.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You say that as if it’s news to me that I’m saying I don’t believe in the virgin birth. Yes, I already said that. Surely you are aware that there are many different types of religious belief and variations of Christianity? Why is it a crucial thing to believe in the virgin birth? Jesus certainly never mentioned the virginity of his mother.
It's a denial of Scripture for one thing.

All this took place to fulfil what the Lord had spoken by the prophet:
“Behold, a virgin shall conceive and bear a son,
and his name shall be called Emman′u-el” (which means, God with us)​

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,160.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A woman is the weaker sex.
According to who?
How many men could push something the size of a volleyball through a hole the size of a golf ball without passing out from the pain?

Men and women have different strengths and weaknesses, we complement each other, but think about this. The only time man reflects the image of the creator is when a man and a woman unite, and then a miracle occurs. New life is created. Neither a man nor a woman on their own can produce children. It can only happen when a man and a woman are united.

Upvote 0

Sam81

Jesus is everything
Sep 12, 2016
Texas
✟27,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It's a sad commentary on the state of society when one is suspected of being bitter for refusing to accept a postmodern conception of God.

In any case, this isn't about me. It's about the blasphemous idea that God has a feminine side. God is clearly masculine. And if I'm upset over anything, it's the feminization of western society which is very destructive.

What's next? Are you going to argue that women don't have to submit to their husbands and can become pastors? Because that's really a thing in the church. It's demonic.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He posted it himself. In the image of God created He him; male and female created He them.

Notice it doesn't say, in the image of God created He them; male and female created He them.

Well, the Hebrew actually just says: "in the image of God created, male and female created." That's pretty much universally taken to mean that both men and women are created in the image of God.

A woman is the weaker sex. How can God be as much woman as man?

If you're talking about 1 Peter 3:7 ("Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered"), that's weaker in a physical way. The "vessel" here is one of those beautiful Greek clay pots, which can be broken if you are rough with it.

Peter makes a spiritual equality ("heirs with you of the grace of life") explicit.

In any case, this isn't about me. It's about the blasphemous idea that God has a feminine side.

I'm certainly not a fan of this "divine feminine" stuff.

What's next? Are you going to argue that women don't have to submit to their husbands and can become pastors?

Not me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sam81

Jesus is everything
Sep 12, 2016
Texas
✟27,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The scriptures use the male pronoun to refer to God by default, through translation, and because the scriptures were written in patriarchal societies where the male pronoun would be used for a deity.
God is not referred to as a male simply because of the type of society in which the Bible was written. The Bible is the inspired inerrant word of God. It will say the truth regardless of anything
...it is not dependent upon any exterior factors. God is masculine and Father. Period.

Upvote 0

Sam81

Jesus is everything
Sep 12, 2016
Texas
✟27,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well, the Hebrew actually just says: "in the image of God created, male and female created." That's pretty much universally taken to mean that both men and women are created in the image of God.

If you're talking about 1 Peter 3:7 ("Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered"), that's weaker in a physical way.
Then why is Eve used as an example of why women should not have spiritual authority over a man? Why did Satan target Eve and not Adam? Limiting it to the physical is presumption on your part and doesn't jive with the truth.

Upvote 0

Sam81

Jesus is everything
Sep 12, 2016
Texas
✟27,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This thread is garbage I'm out of here. You people can join hands and sing Kumbaya and enjoy your little party.

God is not as much woman as man. Buy y'all believe what y'all want.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
So men aren’t more like god than women?
Absolutely not. Eve was taken out of Adam. When men look down on women and despise them, men are despising and belittling themselves. Equality does not mean sameness. Men and women are different and have different roles. If you want an example of a genuinely spiritual woman, check out Joyce Meyer. She submits to her husband and teaches other women to do the same. She also teaches and preaches with a world-wide ministry.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,160.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
1 Peter 3:7
Peter doesn't say women are weaker, he tells men to be understanding towards their wives, as towards someone weaker. So in like manner as you would treat someone weaker, so treat your wives. It is an instruction on how to behave, it isn't declaring women as weaker.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.