Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
He said "punishing an innocent person is immoral", etc...

And that is man's judgement against God, or a God, or a/the way that was considered right and moral or righteous to the gods, etc...

God Bless!
I don't think either of you understands God's economy, etc...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It immoral. But God didn’t do that.
And that is man's judgement against God, or a God, or a/the way that was considered right and moral or righteous to the gods, etc...

God Bless!
God didn’t nail Jesus to the cross. So no one is accusing God of evil in that post.

Upvote 0

Hmm

Hey, I'm just this guy, you know
Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

And that is man's judgement against God,

No it isn't because God isn't like that - He doesn't punish innocent people. He was simply pointing out bad theology, as @Dorothy Mae said.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The only reason YHWH might have been angry with Jesus personally, and not just for and/or because of us, and our sin, etc, would only be if he (Jesus) was saying/preaching/teaching that there was a higher God than Him (YHWH), etc...

But even if He (YHWH) ever even was, etc, or even if he (Jesus) even ever really did, etc, He (YHWH) knew that he (Jesus) was not he himself ever guilty of any kind of sin himself at all whatsoever, etc, and not even for "that sin" even, etc, in any kind of way or shape or form at all ever, etc...

And I think that after He (YHWH) saw this, and saw "His Son" in Jesus finally, etc, that it was then, that He (YHWH) decided to put away His anger (against all, etc) and forgive him (Jesus), and forgive us, etc, and then resurrect him (Jesus), etc, and give Jesus "everything", etc, even taking a "even position with him" even (Jesus), etc...

God Bless!
Anyone who thinks they are on higher religious ground because they refuse to refer to God as Jesus told us to do is fooling themselves. Jesus taught how to address God. The foreign deity you refer to is not him. What you have say about said foreign deity has no bearing on the Father of our Lord. They aren’t the same.

Upvote 0

KingsK.H.R.R.S

Holy, Righteous, Ratchet Squad
Mar 12, 2021
Oregon
✟18,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I personally can’t find any scripture that will specifically say “God poured his wrath on Jesus”. While I definitely hold to a belief that God has wrath, it’s towards human sin and what it’s done to us.

When you follow the narrative, the nation of Israel is called by Yahweh to be a new creation. In Deuteronomy Moses says if they are faithful they will receive blessing, if they disobey the covenant they will be cursed (wrath) and be exiled from the land (judgement). They fail and get exiled into Babylon.

Fast forward to Jesus who actually IS Israel, there to actually fulfill the calling that the nation of Israel was given. But Israel actually failed, they are still under the Deuteronomy curse, so how can they be redeemed? Jesus, as the King, THE prophet, and the High Priest takes Israel’s failure into himself, as Paul says “becoming Sin itself” so that those who claim to follow Jesus become Israel but without the curse (wrath) of God.

Like NT Wright says, “it’s for God so LOVED the world that he gave his son...” not “for God so hated the world that he wanted to punish us but good thing Jesus got in the way”. The latter is more Pagan theology, where Greeks and Romans had no idea if their gods were angry or happy with them and could strike them down anytime. That’s definitely not a Jewish idea.

Hopefully I expressed my thoughts well. My sources are NT Wright, Tim Mackie, and Michael Heiser.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
No it isn't because God isn't like that - He doesn't punish innocent people. He was simply pointing out bad theology, as @Dorothy Mae said.
God required that someone, or bunch of someones, had to be punished for mankind's sins, etc, that is part of God's economy, etc, and God sent Jesus to the cross for him (Jesus) to be or do just that, etc, or become just that, etc, and YHWH's wrath was placed or was poured out undiluted upon him...

And an innocent man was punished for another's or multiple others sins, etc, and you guys say that is "immoral", etc, when it is not always, etc...

Or who are you to judge God, etc...?

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What happened on the cross cannot be referred to as economy. What happened on the cross is deeper than theological constructs by those who have no personal relationship with God such that they can just ask Him and receive answers. It is beyond finding out by simple reading. The outcome we know. We can be forgiven.

But just as we can eat our dinner and be nourished and strengthened to live without understanding an element of digestion, we can experience forgiveness and be free in Christ. But if we try to make up how, we cannot it without Him opening up
the mind himself.
[STAFF EDITED DELETED QUOTE]
God, my Father in Heaven, as He expressly wishes to be called has blessed me with understanding beyond my hopes. But I address Him as He taught us to do among other matters of obedience.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Agree
Reactions: Hmm
Upvote 0

Hmm

Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
and YHWH's wrath was placed or was poured out undiluted upon him...

But you have been asked for scriptural references to back this up and you have failed to do so. So this is merely your personal theory.

Or who are you to judge God, etc...?

Once again, I am not judging God because God does not punish innocent people as you claim He does. I am rejecting your conception of God but not God Himself.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Anyone who thinks they are on higher religious ground because they refuse to refer to God as Jesus told us to do is fooling themselves. Jesus taught how to address God. The foreign deity you refer to is not him. What you have say about said foreign deity has no bearing on the Father of our Lord. They aren’t the same.
Are you suggesting YHWH is a false God?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Today’s sermon mentioned God pouring out His wrath on Jesus on the cross. The question I have is where does it say in the Bible that God poured out His wrath on Jesus on the cross?

That Jesus died for sins is not in question. I’m not asking for a theological dissertation on the subject. I’m asking where the scripture says He was wrathful and poured it out on Jesus that day.

Also, if God poured out His wrath on sin that day, why does the Bible say He pours out His wrath on sin (or sinful man) in Revelation?

Thanks for answers. I did a simple search myself and couldn’t find it but that doesn’t mean it isn’t there.
It was not a punishment or even God's wrath, it was His sacrifice for our sake. Just as the lamb was sacrificed in the Old Covenant, the final sacrifice of His Son birthed the New Covenant to restore that which was once lost.
Be blessed.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
He said "punishing an innocent person is immoral",
I did say that.
Huh?

How can you possibly get that I am making a judgement against God out of anything I wrote here? God simply does not hate the innocent. I am making a judgment against your theology that would try to make God a hater of the innocent.

• Agree
Reactions: Hmm
Upvote 0

GOD Shines Forth!

Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
"Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life. Whoever rejects the Son will not see life. Instead, the wrath of God remains on him."—John 3:36

"Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through him!"—Romans5:9

This makes me very thankful for the Lord Jesus, and the Father who sent him.

Upvote 0

Hmm

Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
"Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life. Whoever rejects the Son will not see life. Instead, the wrath of God remains on him."—John 3:36

"Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through him!"—Romans5:9

But these verses do not address the question asked in the OP:

Today’s sermon mentioned God pouring out His wrath on Jesus on the cross. The question I have is where does it say in the Bible that God poured out His wrath on Jesus on the cross?

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

That Jesus died for sins is not in question. I’m not asking for a theological dissertation on the subject. I’m asking where the scripture says He was wrathful and poured it out on Jesus that day.

Also, if God poured out His wrath on sin that day, why does the Bible say He pours out His wrath on sin (or sinful man) in Revelation?

Thanks for answers. I did a simple search myself and couldn’t find it but that doesn’t mean it isn’t there.

“Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.” (Romans 5:9).

“Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.” (Isaiah 53:10).

This is referring to how God the Father was pleased to bruise the Son and so as to make Him an offering for sin on our behalf (No doubt because it would save us).

“But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.” (Isaiah 53:5).

1 Peter 2:24 says,
“Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.”

“Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:” (Galatians 3:13).

This short animated music video seems to embody the idea well.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
“Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.” (Romans 5:9).
Still no wrath of God towards Jesus at the cross.
“Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.” (Isaiah 53:10).

This is referring to how God the Father was pleased to bruise the Son and so as to make Him an offering for sin on our behalf (No doubt because it would save us).

“But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.” (Isaiah 53:5).

1 Peter 2:24 says,
“Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.”

“Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:” (Galatians 3:13).

This short animated music video seems to embody the idea well.

]
No word on God having wrath being poured out in Jesus.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But these verses do not address the question asked in the OP:
I think there aren’t any such verses. Now I’m sure God wasn’t full of wrath at that point.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

It's noteworthy that Romans 5:9 doesn't mention "God's wrath". The word "wrath" appears in the text, but not "God's wrath". "God's wrath" is added in English translation.

πολλῷ οὖν μᾶλλον δικαιωθέντες νῦν ἐν τῷ αἵματι αὐτοῦ σωθησόμεθα δι᾽ αὐτοῦ ἀπὸ τῆς ὀργῆς
"Much more therefore, being justified now by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him."

According to St. John Chrysostom's commentary, this wrath we are saved from is connected with our hostility to God in Romans 5:10. That is, God rescues us from our hostility, anger, and hatred toward God; reconciling us to Himself, making peace between us and God.

Christ does not need to overcome God's wrath to make peace; Christ overcomes our wrath. God already loves us (Romans 5:8), and so by His blood He has justified us, and rescued us from our wrath, putting an end to our hostility toward God by bringing us to God in peace and reconciliation.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Still no wrath of God towards Jesus at the cross.No word on God having wrath being poured out in Jesus.

It does in an indirect way. If we are saved from the wrath of God through Christ and Christ died for our sins, then God's wrath was logically poured out upon Jesus. Jesus took on our sins and God was punishing those sins that were our sins that Jesus bore in our place.

Upvote 0