MO.
✟250,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The natural mind is not able to give due place to both sovereignty and responsibility, and hence all theological systems fail on one side or the other. But it is clear that Scripture maintains both, and the “spiritual mind” (Rom 8:6) is always in accord with Scripture.

God carries out His purposes in the sovereignty of His mercy and love; if He did not do so, they would most certainly fail completely, man being what he is. But the work of God is a moral one, and he addresses Himself to the conscience and heart of His poor fallen creature, and deals with him in a thousand ways which recognize his responsibility and awaken a sense of it in his soul.

The fear of God might almost be defined as the recognition of responsibility on man’s part; yet it is undoubtedly brought about by a sovereign act of God in new birth. The Father works sovereignly along lines which always recognize and maintain responsibility. The principle runs all throughout the history of the saints also. God is working out in them His purpose, which will culminate in there being conformed to the image of His Son in glory.

But in view of purpose He works along moral lines, and on this line the obedience of faith comes in, self-judgment, watchfulness and prayer, purpose of heart to cleave to the Lord, faith in Christ Jesus and love to the saints, Christ as Object and Teacher, meekness and lowliness as learned of Him. Sowing to the Spirit and “walking in the Spirit” (Gal 5:16, 25) come in here also, and all this and everything connected with the moral exercises of believers cannot be dissociated from the thought of responsibility (God eventually makes everyone reborn to be a responsible child – Phil 2:13—NC).

Thus the moral or responsible line and purpose line are very intimately blended in Christianity and both will ultimately coalesce, when believers are seen not only as the fruit of God’s purpose, but also as the subjects of His work and ways. We only reach the land, the sphere of His purpose, through the wilderness and through the innumerable exercises to which our responsible history gives occasion. At the end of the wilderness it can be said of the saints: ‘What hath God wrought’ (Num 23:23)! They are brought into moral suitability for introduction into the Land.

We cannot mentally reconcile sovereignty and responsibility, but we can spiritually, as seeing that the maintenance of both is essential. The Spirit alone can maintain the right balance of the two in our thoughts and I am sure, as we go on, we learn to attach the true value to each, neither letting ourselves off easily by enfeebling the thought of responsibility, nor stopping short of that depth of holy self-judgement that casts us altogether upon the sovereign mercy and love of our Father.

- C A Coats

Excerpt from MJS devotional for Dec. 19:

The law will not touch us if we do not touch it.

“We were born in the first Adam. He was responsible before God to stand in righteousness. He failed. We were responsible in him and we failed. We sinned in Adam (Rom. 5:12, 19). What did God do about it? He gathered us up into the Last Adam, and we died in Him. God allowed His holy law to condemn us utterly and the law, seeking to slay us, found us in Christ on the Cross and set upon us and slew us.” -W.R.N.
http://www.abideabove.com/hungry-heart/

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The natural mind is not able to give due place to both sovereignty and responsibility, and hence all theological systems fail on one side or the other. But it is clear that Scripture maintains both, and the “spiritual mind” (Rom 8:6) is always in accord with Scripture.

God carries out His purposes in the sovereignty of His mercy and love; if He did not do so, they would most certainly fail completely, man being what he is. But the work of God is a moral one, and he addresses Himself to the conscience and heart of His poor fallen creature, and deals with him in a thousand ways which recognize his responsibility and awaken a sense of it in his soul.

The fear of God might almost be defined as the recognition of responsibility on man’s part; yet it is undoubtedly brought about by a sovereign act of God in new birth. The Father works sovereignly along lines which always recognize and maintain responsibility. The principle runs all throughout the history of the saints also. God is working out in them His purpose, which will culminate in there being conformed to the image of His Son in glory.

But in view of purpose He works along moral lines, and on this line the obedience of faith comes in, self-judgment, watchfulness and prayer, purpose of heart to cleave to the Lord, faith in Christ Jesus and love to the saints, Christ as Object and Teacher, meekness and lowliness as learned of Him. Sowing to the Spirit and “walking in the Spirit” (Gal 5:16, 25) come in here also, and all this and everything connected with the moral exercises of believers cannot be dissociated from the thought of responsibility (God eventually makes everyone reborn to be a responsible child – Phil 2:13—NC).

Thus the moral or responsible line and purpose line are very intimately blended in Christianity and both will ultimately coalesce, when believers are seen not only as the fruit of God’s purpose, but also as the subjects of His work and ways. We only reach the land, the sphere of His purpose, through the wilderness and through the innumerable exercises to which our responsible history gives occasion. At the end of the wilderness it can be said of the saints: ‘What hath God wrought’ (Num 23:23)! They are brought into moral suitability for introduction into the Land.

We cannot mentally reconcile sovereignty and responsibility, but we can spiritually, as seeing that the maintenance of both is essential. The Spirit alone can maintain the right balance of the two in our thoughts and I am sure, as we go on, we learn to attach the true value to each, neither letting ourselves off easily by enfeebling the thought of responsibility, nor stopping short of that depth of holy self-judgement that casts us altogether upon the sovereign mercy and love of our Father.

- C A Coats

“We were born in the first Adam. He was responsible before God to stand in righteousness. He failed. We were responsible in him and we failed. We sinned in Adam (Rom. 5:12, 19). What did God do about it? He gathered us up into the Last Adam, and we died in Him. God allowed His holy law to condemn us utterly and the law, seeking to slay us, found us in Christ on the Cross and set upon us and slew us.” -W.R.N.
None But The Hungry Heart
Is there a question or a discussion point coming or is this just information for us to read?

Speaking for myself, I don't have much trouble reconciling the sovereignty of God with human responsibility.

That includes such supposedly thorny theological areas as election and predestination. But it seems that many find these things irreconcilable.

Upvote 0

WordSword

Sep 8, 2017
MO.
✟250,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Is there a question or a discussion point coming or is this just information for us to read?

Speaking for myself, I don't have much trouble reconciling the sovereignty of God with human responsibility.

That includes such supposedly thorny theological areas as election and predestination. But it seems that many find these things irreconcilable.
Hi MK and thanks for your reply! I understand your point, but the article is referring to the unbeliever in the first line ("natural mind" i.e. 1Co 2:14). God bless!

Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Hi MK and thanks for your reply! I understand your point, but the article is referring to the unbeliever in the first line ("natural mind" i.e. 1Co 2:14). God bless!
I understand that. But what about the question.

I.e. where do you wish to go with this? Is there a question you want us to address or a discussion line you wish us to pursue or should a very few of us just read the article and then the thread dies on the vine?

Upvote 0

WordSword

Sep 8, 2017
MO.
✟250,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I understand that. But what about the question.

I.e. where do you wish to go with this? Is there a question you want us to address or a discussion line you wish us to pursue or should a very few of us just read the article and then the thread dies on the vine?
Thanks! The materials I share are mostly just for reading, but questions and comments or comments are always welcome, same for all posts. Unless I'm misunderstanding you.

Upvote 0

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

- C A Coats

http://www.abideabove.com/hungry-heart/

In the opening sentence we find, "that natural mind is not able". If this is a reference to 1 Cor, 2 as it seems to be, I would submit that it is incorrect. In 1 Cor 2 When Paul says, the natural mind doesn't receive the things of God, He uses the active voice. That indicates that the person is choosing not accept them. It's not that he's not capable, but rather chooses not are receive them.

Upvote 0

WordSword

Sep 8, 2017
MO.
✟250,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
In the opening sentence we find, "that natural mind is not able". If this is a reference to 1 Cor, 2 as it seems to be, I would submit that it is incorrect. In 1 Cor 2 When Paul says, the natural mind doesn't receive the things of God, He uses the active voice. That indicates that the person is choosing not accept them. It's not that he's not capable, but rather chooses not are receive them.
Hi Butch and thanks for your input! I agree that this also applies in the sense of dislike to the Word, but I see the general sense (vs 13-15) to mean that one who has only a natural understanding cannot understand ("discern") the things of God in the Scriptures, for he cannot "know (comprehend) them, because they are spiritually discerned" (v 14); because this requires the Spirit's teaching (v 13).

I believe this also is how the Word of God "is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given" (Mat 13:11; Luk 8:10).

Blessings to your Family!

Upvote 0

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Butch and thanks for your input! I agree that this also applies in the sense of dislike to the Word, but I see the general sense (vs 13-15) to mean that one who has only a natural understanding cannot understand ("discern") the things of God in the Scriptures, for he cannot "know (comprehend) them, because they are spiritually discerned" (v 14); because this requires the Spirit's teaching (v 13).

I believe this also is how the Word of God "is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given" (Mat 13:11; Luk 8:10).

Blessings to your Family!

Hi WS, my point was that the natural man rejects the things of God. Since the thing of God are Spiritually discerned the Spirit is needed. However, the natural man has rejected the Spirit thus he cannot understand the things of God. It's not that he doesn't have that opportunity, but rather than he's rejected it.

We have to remember that Paul is writing to the Corinthians and they were Greeks. The Greeks scoffed at the idea of resurrection. That is why Paul says it is foolishness to them. If they think this idea is ridiculous it's only logical that they would reject the idea. Thus, they receive it not.

Bless you and your's too!

Upvote 0

WordSword

Sep 8, 2017
MO.
✟250,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It's not that he doesn't have that opportunity, but rather than he's rejected it.
Yes, now I see your point concerning opportunity, which leaves them "without excuse," because their opportunity rests in the fact that God has at least given all the "knowledge" of Himself via "showing it to them" in the light of "creation" itself (Rom 1:19, 20). Man's part is to seek Him for the light of revelation--by His Spirit, in His Son.

Upvote 0