Global Warming

Should we do something about global warming?

• No, global warming is a hoax.

• We don't know for sure, so don't worry about it.

• Yawn. Perhaps.

• Yes, this is serious.

Results are only viewable after voting.

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Ah, AGW. The latest version of LCLS, or Liberal Chicken Little Syndrome™; it requires having something to be terrified out of your mind about that will never come to pass. Previous manifestations:

1950s---nuclear war.

Yeah, those liberal chicken littles in the Pentagon were a bunch of whacked out loonies/communists. Oh wait...

O.k. that last snarky bit aside, if nuclear war is such a fantasy, why are so many people hot to attack/invade Iran because they might develop nuclear weapons?

1960s---overpopulation.

The Ehrlich's overstated the problem and the impending "doom" back then, but overpopluation is a problem. It's one of the great ironies that countries and regions most able to support explosively increased populations have reduced birthrates while those areas least able to support massive population growth have seen it.

1970s---global pollution.

Yeah, not like there was acid rain in many mid-Western and northeastern cities in the U.S. back in the 70s or that rivers like the Cuyahoga caught on fire because of trash and pollution or that smog on Los Angeles was as bad as it is in Beijing these days. If only that liberal paragon Richard Nixon hadn't signed the EPA into existance, we could we living in a Utopia.

1980s---ozone depletion.

Predicted, evidenced, and prevented.

1990s---deforestation, water shortages.

Are you pretending that deforestation hasn't occured or that water shortages have not similarly occured? Do you know how much of the Colorado river actually reaches the ocean?

2000s---global warming/climate change.

Yeah, don't worry folks. All that science, just like evolution, is just made up stuff by liberal takers who want to steal from the conservative makers.

Don't fret, kids; ten years from now it'll be something totally different. The doomsayers have predicted the end of the world more times than back issues of The Watchtower, and nothing has happened yet.

Oh how funny. This coming from a guy who thinks that American society is so changed that he doesn't recognize the country he grew up in 30 years ago and won't last much longer beyond his death... and he's 50 years old.

Odd how the "doomsayers" are crazy and wrong when he disagrees with them, but his personal predictions of doom and gloom are spot on because they validate the world view he has seen only through political glasses.

Upvote 0

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yeah, but the crowd that elected Obama seems to be running the train up a dirt road.

Could they be taking the train back up the dirt road back to the main track after the previous crew had derailed it?

Back to global warming: If it is indeed a serious concern and we ignore it--because the supreme authority, Rush Limbaugh, declared that we should--then we would end up with not much of a train left.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,838.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
USincognito said:
Yeah, those liberal chicken littles in the Pentagon were a bunch of whacked out loonies/communists. Oh wait...

First off, I wasn't talking about the Pentagon, I was talking about the average citizen, the type who would spend a few hundred thousand bucks on a backyard bomb shelter. Secondly, where did you get the idea that the Pentagon was full of Communists?

In the 1950's? What, are you kidding?

USincognito said:
O.k. that last snarky bit aside, if nuclear war is such a fantasy, why are so many people hot to attack/invade Iran because they might develop nuclear weapons?

The only people I see who are hot to attack Iran---for any reason---are the Israelis and the Washington Idiot Corps.

That aside, if the Iranians were going to nuke somebody, who would they nuke?

Most likely, either Israel or American forces in the area.

Now, nobody has ever accused the current Iranian regime of being rational; but the prevailing winds in that area run from west to east. Just about darned near anything they could hit will ensure that the radioactive fallout will drift over A) Muslim countries that they want as allies, or B) their own territory, killing their own people.

Not a terribly brilliant move, either way.

USincognito said:
The Ehrlich's overstated the problem and the impending "doom" back then, but overpopluation is a problem.

Only in select countries in Asia and in sub-Saharan Africa. Virtually everywhere else on the planet, population isn't even keeping up to replacement levels.

USincognito said:
It's one of the great ironies that countries and regions most able to support explosively increased populations have reduced birthrates while those areas least able to support massive population growth have seen it.

Yes, that's true. And as brutal as it may sound, Old Mom Nature has a remedy for that: it's called famine, epidemic, and mass starvation.

(shrug) I'm not saying I like it. I'm just saying that's the way it is.

USincognito said:
Yeah, not like there was acid rain in many mid-Western and northeastern cities in the U.S. back in the 70s or that rivers like the Cuyahoga caught on fire because of trash and pollution or that smog on Los Angeles was as bad as it is in Beijing these days. If only that liberal paragon Richard Nixon hadn't signed the EPA into existance, we could we living in a Utopia.

I remember propaganda from the time saying that within fifteen years, regardless of what we did to correct the problem, mankind would never be able to venture outside their houses without wearing gas masks, heavy rubber suits, and airtight goggles. Scared the crap out of us schoolkids.

Guess what? Didn't happen.

Regardless of what Tricky Dick did or didn't do.

USincognito said:
Are you pretending that deforestation hasn't occured or that water shortages have not similarly occured?

No. I'm saying that it hasn't led to the apocalypse, like the greenie treehuggers tried to make us believe.

USincognito said:
Yeah, don't worry folks. All that science, just like evolution, is just made up stuff by liberal takers who want to steal from the conservative makers.

Quite a bit of it, yeah. ;)

USincognito said:
Oh how funny. This coming from a guy who thinks that American society is so changed that he doesn't recognize the country he grew up in 30 years ago and won't last much longer beyond his death... and he's 50 years old.

The collapse and dissolution of the United States still does not equate with the end of the world. Empires rise and fall, and mankind is still here. It's simply that we, as a nation, are in the process of committing national suicide. We will cease to exist soon, but the world is going to keep right on spinning.

USincognito said:
Odd how the "doomsayers" are crazy and wrong when he disagrees with them, but his personal predictions of doom and gloom are spot on because they validate the world view he has seen only through political glasses.

The Chicken Littles predict global doom because of physical causes: atomic war, pollution, deforestation, climate change, etc. I predict national doom because of economic and socio-cultural reasons. Not quite the same thing. Thanks for playing, though. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Could they be taking the train back up the dirt road back to the main track after the previous crew had derailed it?

Back to global warming: If it is indeed a serious concern and we ignore it--because the supreme authority, Rush Limbaugh, declared that we should--then we would end up with not much of a train left.

I am buddies with Rush's brother so you better watch out. I got connections with the supreme authority.

Rush communicates so well you guys are apoplectic when it comes to him.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,433.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I am buddies with Rush's brother so you better watch out. I got connections with the supreme authority.

Rush communicates so well you guys are apoplectic when it comes to him.
His ability to communicate d oes not make those guys apopletic. It's the farcical nonesense that are his messages that tends to do that.

Upvote 0

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is a "great communicator" always such an awesome thing? Isnt the antichrist supposed to be a great communicator?

Can you document that for me?

Upvote 0

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
His ability to communicate d oes not make those guys apopletic. It's the farcical nonesense that are his messages that tends to do that.

Need a tissue?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Can you document that for me?
Maybe.
For now, I'll just say that I've heard the antichrist broadly described as a great charismatic leader.... which necessarily implies a great communicator. Rush fits that particular characteristic quite well. (So does Obama, and so did Reagan while he he was healthy.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

marshlewis

Apr 13, 2004
✟3,955.00
Faith
Atheist
Ah, AGW. The latest version of LCLS, or Liberal Chicken Little Syndrome™; it requires having something to be terrified out of your mind about that will never come to pass. Previous manifestations:

1950s---nuclear war.

1960s---overpopulation.

1970s---global pollution.

1980s---ozone depletion.

1990s---deforestation, water shortages.

2000s---global warming/climate change.

Don't fret, kids; ten years from now it'll be something totally different. The doomsayers have predicted the end of the world more times than back issues of The Watchtower, and nothing has happened yet.

When in danger or in doubt
Run in circles, scream and shout.
;)

Well we seem to have licked the ozone problem at least.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I say we not lick the problem of bovine flatulence.

Oddly enough, massive domesticated cattle herds are something deniers can't incorporate into their "but what about X years ago" arguments.

Kudos for making a joke and a salient point at the same time. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
From the article you cite:
"Lovelock still believes anthropogenic global warming is occurring and that mankind must lower its greenhouse gas emissions".
Did you miss that part?

Upvote 0