• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Global Warming

Discussion in 'News & Current Events (Articles Required)' started by doubtingmerle, Jul 21, 2012.

Should we do something about global warming?

1. No, global warming is a hoax.

2. We don't know for sure, so don't worry about it.

3. Yawn. Perhaps.

4. Yes, this is serious.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN CT Scans shows my dad's cancer is gone.

+4,115
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    US-Others
    We can plant trees in our yard, might help a little. Right. And plant plenty of plants. I heard somewhere that was supposed to help.

2. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+9,958
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    Opinions are like onions. They make me cry.
    Opinion in matters like this is worthless unless you have expertise.

3. CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN CT Scans shows my dad's cancer is gone.

+4,115
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    US-Others
    I think it's a little of both. I think the effects of global warming would happen anyways, but men an woman make it worse. Anyways I believe God will take care of it.

4. brewmama

brewmama Senior Veteran

+982
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    I guess you missed all the mass hysteria in the 1970's when the earth was threatened by global cooling, and scientists were coming up with all kinds of schemes to warm the earth.

5. USincognito

USincognito Milk-Bones for Cerberus is a cool album name Supporter

+13,601
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    Actually, that's a popular press myth promoted by deniers. There's some (two) infamous covers of Time and Newsweek that promoted an impending ice age, but they should be taken as seriously as announcements that UFOs were visiting us.

There was no mass hysteria and your claim about scientists coming up with "all kinds of schemes to warm the earth" is a flat out falsehood. Climate scientists have been concerned about warming based climate change since the 1960s.

6. brewmama

brewmama Senior Veteran

+982
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    \
    Sorry, but Time and Newsweek were not thought of as The National Enquirer back then. And scientists were concocting grandiose schemes that might help to keep the earth warmer. The "deniers" are on your side.

7. Phileas

Phileas Newbie

+38
    Agnostic
    In Relationship
    They're not exactly peer-review either. Anyway, if you decide to continue down this line of arguement you might as well know it's a well known PRATT that has been thoroughly debunked for several years now.

An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie
    Study debunks 'global cooling' concern of '70s - USATODAY.com

8. Paradoxum

Paradoxum Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!

+621
    Humanist
    Private
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    So I assume most climate scientists agree with you if you are so sure?

"Indeed they did. At least, a handful of scientific papers discussed the possibility of a new ice age at some point in the future, leading to some pretty sensational media coverage."

"The calls for action to prevent further human-induced global warming, by contrast, are based on an enormous body of research by thousands of scientists over more than a century that has been subjected to intense - and sometimes ferocious - scrutiny. According to the latest IPCC report, it is more than 90% certain that the world is already warming as a result of human activity."

Climate myths: They predicted global cooling in the 1970s - environment - 16 May 2007 - New Scientist

9. Drekkan85

Drekkan85 Immortal until proven otherwise

+220
    Anglican
    Private
    CA-Liberals
    Time and Newsweek aren't peer reviewed publications, and their source wasn't a peer-reviewed publication - it was a random quote by a single scientist.

For the intents and purposes of finding out what "scientists" thought, they WERE as accurate as the National Enquirer.

In this field peer review is a necessary but not sufficient criteria - if your work hasn't been peer reviewed and published then it's not applicable. If your viewpoint relies on books, blogs, magazines, websites, and TV weathermen and not peer reviewed data your opinion is worthless.

10. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+9,958
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    See what I mean?
    People bring up idiocies like "global cooling" which they could have sorted out for themselves if they were interested in reality rather than preserving an ideology.
    Its similar to evolution. How many times can one discuss the "lack of transitional fossils" or whatever before realizing the "debate" isnt about science. Its about personal ideological attachments that trump everything.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  11. Malachi88

Malachi88 Newbie

+0
    Why freak yourself out over something you can not control. If it were so easy to change billions of minds than there would no longer be abortions, war, or people who smoke ext. Unfortunately out world is very selfish now. We have all become spoiled. Speaking for myself as well. That is why we must pray for change. In my opinion it is only getting worse everywhere. So it leads me to believe the end is near. Which is what we need. However I feel it would be sad for our Lord to come, when this world is still in shambles. He deserves a better welcoming than that. But the question is ....how do you change billions of minds?

12. Malachi88

Malachi88 Newbie

+0
    Our*

13. Wolseley

Wolseley Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu

+3,554
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Ah, AGW. The latest version of LCLS, or Liberal Chicken Little Syndrome™; it requires having something to be terrified out of your mind about that will never come to pass. Previous manifestations:

1950s---nuclear war.

1960s---overpopulation.

1970s---global pollution.

1980s---ozone depletion.

1990s---deforestation, water shortages.

2000s---global warming/climate change.

Don't fret, kids; ten years from now it'll be something totally different. The doomsayers have predicted the end of the world more times than back issues of The Watchtower, and nothing has happened yet.

When in danger or in doubt
    Run in circles, scream and shout.
    ;)

14. freezerman2000

freezerman2000 Living and dying in 3/4 time

+1,112
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    So, If my source is wrong to you, then your source is wrong to me...

Tell me, if the temps have been stable over the time you said, why was there a warming, then a drastic cooling within the last 1000 years?

15. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+9,958
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    We did a hell of a lot politically to make sure it didnt happen. Not a false alarm there.

Ongoing chronic problem. No one thinks its the "end of the world".

No one thought it was the "end of the world". BUT it was considered important enough that we acted globally in the form of effective treaties to drastically reduce the most harmful emissions. This tale might have a different ending had we done nothing.

"End of the world"??? No one thought that. Yet still an ongoing problem.

A real problem, just like all of the above.

16. drstevej

drstevej "The crowd always chooses Barabbas." Staff Member Chaplain Supporter

+24,527
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Republican
    June 4, 2008
    "This was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal."

17. KimberlyAA

KimberlyAA Well-Known Member

+43
    SDA
    Single
    Since so much damage has been done and will continue to be done, there's very little we can do. I think the best way to reduce the effect would be to use cleaner energy generation such as photovoltaics, wind, wave, OTEC etc. for electricity needs. I don't see electric cars or exhaust gas recirculation being widespread internationally any time soon except in places like Brasil. Many people say petroleum is running out. Petroleum can be generated from sewage by the concentrating of sewage sludge, digestion by alkalis and heating under pressure to produce long-chain hydrocarbons of crude oil. It's quite an energy efficient process. The petrol can then be obtained from fractional distillation. Researchers have also carried out experiments in converting coal to crude oil around a 6 year period. They said :
    Crude oil is also being formed under the ocean now in the waters of the Gulf Of California :
    These might provide some hope for future generations but petrol still releases harmful gases so I think it would be best if it's use was minimized. After studying these things as an environmental science student, you realize how much it's difficult to implement alternative energy sources due to cost implications, geographical and topographical location of communities and constancy of the energy source. Looks like things are only gonna get worse including climate conditions.

18. doubtingmerle

doubtingmerle I'll think about it. Supporter

+2,071
    Humanist
    And should we also dump raw sewage into rivers, expecting God to take care of it for the folks downstream?

And should we just let mold accumulate in our kitchens, figuring God will take care of it?

I would think God wants us to take care of this world. Filling the earth with pollutants, and saying God will take care of it does not seem wise.

19. doubtingmerle

doubtingmerle I'll think about it. Supporter

+2,071
    Humanist
    Ah yes I certainly did miss that.

Oh, and you missed it too, right?

Do you have any evidence of mass hysteria about global cooling?

See RealClimate: The global cooling myth .

20. drjean

drjean Senior Veteran Supporter

+4,427
    United States
    Christian
    Private

I voted it as a hoax because I agree, my real answer is what he said :)

To terrorize the world, make some of the countries tow the line while others don't... well, from what I have read and investigated, it's a political ploy.

Back in the early 1800s countries of the world had a meeting to try and find something to bring the New America under control... and they voted on making the environment an issue... something no one would fear or be against (taking care of it.)

To take the world's position regarding this isn't trusting God, imo. I recall when we were terrorized (modern term for it) about the coming ICE AGE. I doubt they meant the movie sequels. ;)

To imagine that we haven't taken care of God's creation.... implies, to me, a Deist view. That's ok I guess, just not mine. To imply that we are running out of resources does irk me though, because that means that my Sovereign God failed to count on their being some 14 million people to have lived, like he forgot to make enough. No, there is plenty... it's just that those who wish to control the world won't let all the nations USE what resources they have.

For every "global warming" figure, there is at least one "non" global warming. By taking a course in college on statistics I learned full well how stats are manipulated. Include in that manipulation the possibility of a goal of not telling the whole truth, and voila' we have a fearful, Godless world view.

For instance, while the ice melt on one side of the North / Pole might be less... the ice expanse on the other grew... and in another case, the ice is much deeper than it was before. As for the heat, yes, it's hot all over in the US right now...but we also just had record cold temperatures too...

Anyway, God tells me not to fear, He is in control. I just have to trust Him on this. :hug: