Give people on a remote island a bible and what would they believe?

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Mama Kidogo

Τίποτα νέο μυθιστόρημα τίποτα
Jan 31, 2014
USA for the time being
✟19,535.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
I think that you mean the traditions later.

Like people did not make the sign of the cross in the bible yet we do it.

That is interesting.
Not necessarily later but extra-scriptural for sure.

Upvote 0

yogosans14

Mar 3, 2013
✟19,908.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Mama Kidogo

Jan 31, 2014
USA for the time being
✟19,535.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
You've confused the Virgin Birth with the Immaculate Conception.
Many have the wrong idea of what that is. In a nearby town the catholic Church goes by the Name Immaculate conception. More than not believe it's speaking of the conception of Christ. When it's explained to them it's as if they've never heard that dogma of Mary being conceived in a similar fashion. I hold the tradition that she was held blameless but not sinless. Much like the baptist's parents. Immaculate Conception - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If we found a remote island and gave the people on the island a bible with no religious denominational influence, what would they probably believe following the just bible in context.

THEY WOULD:
- know God created everything
- know not to worship other Gods
- know the story of creation, how sin entered the world, why God made laws, and what happened to those who didn't keep Gods laws through out the OT
- keep the Sabbath & keep the biblical Holy Days
- follow the dietary laws of the bible
- know tithing was food and not money and it was a OT law

- believe in the immaculate conception
- see the law is to point out their sin and shows a need for a savior
- confess with their mouth and believe Jesus is Lord to be saved
- know they are saved by grace as a free gift from God
- believe in Baptism and why they should be baptized
- know that the only way to the father is through Jesus only
- know Jesus died on the cross for their sins and rose from the grave on the 3rd day and ascended to heaven 40 days later to be at the right hand of his Father
- take up an offering on Sundays to help the needy and might come together to meet on a Sunday too
- believe Jesus is the Son of God and not God himself and the Holy Spirit is from God
- know Jesus is coming back again for his followers and we will give and account at the judgement seat of Christ before we go into the millennial reign with Christ and afterwards we enter eternity with him and God
- know that those who reject Christ will die in the lake of fire

-They would not have 30-40,000 different beliefs about the bible without denominational influences

If they are not believers the paper would make for good kindling.

Upvote 0

Mama Kidogo

Jan 31, 2014
USA for the time being
✟19,535.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
So do churches. ;):wave:
Groups yes. The Church....no. Individuals are more apt than groups as well. at least with a group there is always someone to have us examine it closer. There is more wisdom in numbers and much more likely to find some spiritual.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
They would know they were on a deserted island with a Bible.

My thinking too. If there were ten people on the island, and you gave each a Bible, you'd have at least ten different interpretations.

Which is why we don't hand someone a Bible without guidance and have them figure it all out on their own.

Acts 8:31
That man was in the desert reading scripture. Whoops. I guess scripture alone really doesn't cut it.

I would agree that the Bible by itself doesn't; but when we say "Scripture Alone" we (at least those of us who affirm the theology and teachings of the Reformation) don't mean some sort of "Bible Onlyism". We mean Scripture alone is the Norming Word, which norms and regulates true Christian teaching and faith; for whatever is contrary to Scripture is contrary to the faith.

But we don't hand people a Bible and tell them to figure it out, the Bible is read within the Communion of Saints, within the fellowship of the Una Sancta; the one holy, catholic, and apostolic Church.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hentenza

Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Groups yes. The Church....no. Individuals are more apt than groups as well. at least with a group there is always someone to have us examine it closer. There is more wisdom in numbers and much more likely to find some spiritual.

The Church? Which one? Secondly, groups make as many mistakes as individuals since most people are not leaders but followers.

Upvote 0

Mama Kidogo

Jan 31, 2014
USA for the time being
✟19,535.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
My thinking too. If there were ten people on the island, and you gave each a Bible, you'd have at least ten different interpretations.

Which is why we don't hand someone a Bible without guidance and have them figure it all out on their own.

I would agree that the Bible by itself doesn't; but when we say "Scripture Alone" we (at least those of us who affirm the theology and teachings of the Reformation) don't mean some sort of "Bible Onlyism". We mean Scripture alone is the Norming Word, which norms and regulates true Christian teaching and faith; for whatever is contrary to Scripture is contrary to the faith.

But we don't hand people a Bible and tell them to figure it out, the Bible is read within the Communion of Saints, within the fellowship of the Una Sancta; the one holy, catholic, and apostolic Church.

-CryptoLutheran

I bet the Gideons are about to attack you^_^
There is much wisdom to your post. When my husband first came to believe he was at once given a bible. He dug into it with a great zeal. They spent the next six months correcting the multiple heresies he'd concocted from reading it without guidance. And with it being a KJV he took all the words at a modern meaning.
There is something good to consider. The JW and Mormons use the same Bible and have come up with some odd notions. Granted they also use other texts but don't we all. Try reading three commentaries from differing denominations and you'll get three different views .

Upvote 0

Mama Kidogo

Jan 31, 2014
USA for the time being
✟19,535.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
The Church? Which one? Secondly, groups make as many mistakes as individuals since most people are not leaders but followers.

There is but one Church. So the one true Church. (No I'm not taking that any further. I'm not that silly;) )
Let's think of it this way. Say those above you in the church teach you wrong. Who will bear the blame? The master or the student?

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
SAAN said:
If we found a remote island and gave the people on the island a bible with no religious denominational influence, what would they probably believe following the just bible in context. THEY WOULD: - know God created everything - know not to worship other Gods - know the story of creation, how sin entered the world, why God made laws, and what happened to those who didn't keep Gods laws through out the OT - keep the Sabbath & keep the biblical Holy Days - follow the dietary laws of the bible - know tithing was food and not money and it was a OT law - believe in the immaculate conception - see the law is to point out their sin and shows a need for a savior - confess with their mouth and believe Jesus is Lord to be saved - know they are saved by grace as a free gift from God - believe in Baptism and why they should be baptized - know that the only way to the father is through Jesus only - know Jesus died on the cross for their sins and rose from the grave on the 3rd day and ascended to heaven 40 days later to be at the right hand of his Father - take up an offering on Sundays to help the needy and might come together to meet on a Sunday too - believe Jesus is the Son of God and not God himself and the Holy Spirit is from God - know Jesus is coming back again for his followers and we will give and account at the judgement seat of Christ before we go into the millennial reign with Christ and afterwards we enter eternity with him and God - know that those who reject Christ will die in the lake of fire -They would not have 30-40,000 different beliefs about the bible without denominational influences
How did you arrive at that conclusion?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Upvote 0

Hentenza

Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is but one Church. So the one true Church. (No I'm not taking that any further. I'm not that silly;) )

No problem.

Let's think of it this way. Say those above you in the church teach you wrong. Who will bear the blame? The master or the student?

It could be both. I've seen it.

BTW- To clarify my position. I do believe that the bible is much better understood by the teachings of the church than by individuals alone. However, the individual does have the responsibility of studying the bible and the material taught by the master. It is important that the individual matures in both knowledge and faith. Secondly, my definition of scripture alone is that scripture is the authority over all not that one uses scripture alone.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Many have the wrong idea of what that is. In a nearby town the catholic Church goes by the Name Immaculate conception. More than not believe it's speaking of the conception of Christ.
I can't imagine that "they" would make so grievous an error as that. But I'm thinking of the people who named it and the leaders of the church; some of the parishioners may well be confused, yes.

Upvote 0

Mama Kidogo

Jan 31, 2014
USA for the time being
✟19,535.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
No problem.

It could be both. I've seen it.

BTW- To clarify my position. I do believe that the bible is much better understood by the teachings of the church than by individuals alone. However, the individual does have the responsibility of studying the bible and the material taught by the master. It is important that the individual matures in both knowledge and faith. Secondly, my definition of scripture alone is that scripture is the authority over all not that one uses scripture alone.

I agree we should study and even question the teacher in a private setting (respecting the authority). A teacher can indeed learn from a student. But when it comes to scripture, if it's a new idea, it's been examined before. The ancient way works the best.

Upvote 0

Mama Kidogo

Jan 31, 2014
USA for the time being
✟19,535.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
I can't imagine that "they" would make so grievous an error as that. But I'm thinking of the people who named it and the leaders of the church; some of the parishioners may well be confused, yes.

I'm not speaking of those of that parish. I'm speaking of non- Catholics and even non-Christians. Most in that town are Baptist or Pentecostal and when they hear that phrase they assume it's speaking of Christ. I was once one of those thinking so. Heck, many think the priest does the sin forgiving. It's no surprise as it's preached in many an evangelic Church that it's a Catholic belief.
The main problem with understanding a Catholic is that we don't go to an informed Catholic to ask. About as wise as asking the new convert at a Baptist Church what a Baptist believes or better yet asking a Catholic what a Baptist believes..

Upvote 0