Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes I search old threads - usually to see if a creationist's claims are original or not (often, they are not) and if so, how were they dealt with before.

Mark seems to really want me to 'debate' his claims about the supposed 'overnight, 3-fold expansion of the brain', but I had read some of those claims before in older threads and knew it would be a waste of time. So a a few minutes ago, I re-searched some of those old threads, and came across some whoppers.

Here, for example, a couple folks were having a side discussion on Haeckel, when Mark jumps in:

"The oxygen and everything else the embryo needs comes through the umbilical cord. What you are calling gills are actually ear holes at an early stage of development. The argument is absurd."

He expands on this a few posts later:

"They don't look like gills, they never work like gills, they become ears later in development. Recapitulation never stands up to close scrutiny. Those are not gills, they never process anything and they ultimately become ears. Study a little real embryology and start making sense. "

Now, it is not an issue for me that he clearly does not understand embryological development. But what amazes me is his supreme confidence in his 99% erroneous assertion, to the point at which he finished up with "Study a little real embryology and start making sense."

That is Dunning-Kruger, written across the sky in 10 mile tall letters.

The development of the ears has little to do with the 'gill slits' (which are not gill slits, not even in fish - they are the pharyngeal arches or apparatus):

ear005-2.gif

The thing in the circle is the otic pit, the primordium of the ear. To the left of it are the 'gill slits.' Close proximity, but the pharyngeal arches are NOT 'ear holes'. Some individual parts of the ear are derived from a couple of the arches, but it is not at all correct that the arches are or become the 'ear holes'.

The pharyngeal apparatus develops in ALL vertebrate embryos. In fish, they DO give rise to gills (but the 'slits' themselves are not gills - not until later) and some structures in the head. In mammals, they become parts of the face and neck.

To say that they become the ears is something someone needing to study a little real embryology and start making sense should do.

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
It might be in reference of the fact that two of the bones of the middle ear, the incus and malleus, do form from tissue in the mesoderm of the pharyngeal arches in humans, as well as some of the ear muscles.

You are right in that the outer ear portions aren't derived from this tissue, though.

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It might be in reference of the fact that two of the bones of the middle ear, the incus and malleus, do form from tissue in the mesoderm of the pharyngeal arches in humans, as well as some of the ear muscles.

You are right in that the outer ear portions aren't derived from this tissue, though.
I am also right that 'the gill slits' are not 'ear holes.'

"What you are calling gills are actually ear holes at an early stage of development. "

Upvote 0

omega2xx

Site Supporter
Oct 20, 2017
Knoxville Tn.
✟70,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Widowed
Sometimes I search old threads - usually to see if a creationist's claims are original or not (often, they are not) and if so, how were they dealt with before.

Mark seems to really want me to 'debate' his claims about the supposed 'overnight, 3-fold expansion of the brain', but I had read some of those claims before in older threads and knew it would be a waste of time. So a a few minutes ago, I re-searched some of those old threads, and came across some whoppers.

Here, for example, a couple folks were having a side discussion on Haeckel, when Mark jumps in:

"The oxygen and everything else the embryo needs comes through the umbilical cord. What you are calling gills are actually ear holes at an early stage of development. The argument is absurd."

"They don't look like gills, they never work like gills, they become ears later in development. Recapitulation never stands up to close scrutiny. Those are not gills, they never process anything and they ultimately become ears. Study a little real embryology and start making sense. "

Now, it is not an issue for me that he clearly does not understand embryological development. But what amazes me is his supreme confidence in his 99% erroneous assertion, to the point at which he finished up with "Study a little real embryology and start making sense."

The development of the ears has little to do with the 'gill slits' (which are not gill slits, not even in fish - they are the pharyngeal arches or apparatus):

ear005-2.gif

The thing in the circle is the otic pit, the primordium of the ear. To the left of it are the 'gill slits.' Close proximity, but the pharyngeal arches are NOT 'ear holes'. Some individual parts of the ear are derived from a couple of the arches, but it is not at all correct that the arches are or become the 'ear holes'.

The pharyngeal apparatus develops in ALL vertebrate embryos. In fish, they DO give rise to gills (but the 'slits' themselves are not gills - not until later) and some structures in the head. In mammals, they become parts of the face and neck.

To say that they become the ears is something someone needing to study a little real embryology and start making sense should do.

What is absdure id believeing a gill caN B ECOME AN EAR HOLE/

ear005-2.gif

What is absurd believing gills become ear holes. They both have specific, unrelated functions.

It is an issue for me when someone dogmatically says something that is refuted by proven genetics. All characteristics in the offspring must come from the gene pool of the parents. No gene for ear holes, no ear holes. A bene for gills, will always end up as gills.

If you think a picture is scientific evidence, you need to take a basic course in genetics.

• Haha
Reactions: tas8831
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

What is absurd believing gills become ear holes. They both have specific, unrelated functions.

It is an issue for me when someone dogmatically says something that is refuted by proven genetics. All characteristics in the offspring must come from the gene pool of the parents. No gene for ear holes, no ear holes. A bene for gills, will always end up as gills.

If you think a picture is scientific evidence, you need to take a basic course in genetics.
Can you look at the human genome sequence and point out the "ear hole gene?"

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Yes - that is what the creationist proposed.

Crazy, isn't it?

I see that you did not read what you are responding to.

I suggest you get some rest, then re-read the post you are replying to and realize that your comments were off topic and laughably irrelevant.

Upvote 0

omega2xx

Site Supporter
Oct 20, 2017
Knoxville Tn.
✟70,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Widowed
Yes - that is what the creationist proposed.

Crazy, isn't it?

I see that you did not read what you are responding to.

I suggest you get some rest, then re-read the post you are replying to and realize that your comments were off topic and laughably irrelevant.

I suggest you explain how it happens.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

omega2xx

Site Supporter
Oct 20, 2017
Knoxville Tn.
✟70,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Widowed
Can you look at the human genome sequence and point out the "ear hole gene?"

Irrelevant---no gene for an ear hole, no ear hole. That is basic genetics.
How what happens? :scratch:

How the gill of a fish becomes the ear hole of a land animal or how how the ear hole of a land animal becomes the gills of a fish.

Upvote 0

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,899.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Irrelevant---no gene for an ear hole, no ear hole. That is basic genetics.

How the gill of a fish becomes the ear hole of a land animal or how how the ear hole of a land animal becomes the gills of a fish.

giphy.gif

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I suggest you explain how it happens.
You clarify this in respopnse to Jimmy:

"How the gill of a fish becomes the ear hole of a land animal or how how the ear hole of a land animal becomes the gills of a fish."

I specifically said that this is what your fellow creationist wrote, not any of us.

It does not happen, I never said it did, no evolutionist ever said it did.

It was a CREATIONIST.

Please re-read the relevant posts, and I will eagerly await your apology.

Upvote 0

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,899.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You clarify this in respopnse to Jimmy:

"How the gill of a fish becomes the ear hole of a land animal or how how the ear hole of a land animal becomes the gills of a fish."

I specifically said that this is what your fellow creationist wrote, not any of us.

It does not happen, I never said it did, no evolutionist ever said it did.

It was a CREATIONIST.

Please re-read the relevant posts, and I will eagerly await your apology.

Don't worry, I was fully up to speed with the gist of everyone's posts.... unlike some. :sorry:

(I am guilty of encouraging a certain poster of digging his own hole a bit deeper though).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
(I am guilty of encouraging a certain poster of digging his own hole a bit deeper though).
As fate would have it, that does not seem to require much effort around here...

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am also right that 'the gill slits' are not 'ear holes.'

"What you are calling gills are actually ear holes at an early stage of development. "
Well, yeah, they start out as pharyngeal arches in both humans and fish, but only become gill slits in fish.

Funnily enough, though, the auditory canal isn't derived from these arches in the first place, so the creationist got the wrong part of the ear.

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Well, yeah, they start out as pharyngeal arches in both humans and fish, but only become gill slits in fish.

Funnily enough, though, the auditory canal isn't derived from these arches in the first place, so the creationist got the wrong part of the ear.
Thats what they do - they get things wrong.

We all do, of course - the difference is creationists cannot seem to accept that they made a mistake.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,369.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Those creationists with a leaning towards Intelligent Design like to talk about specificity. This is ironic, as one of the great weaknesses of creationist argument is the notable lack of specificity in their arguments, the absence of sound definitions, the ambiguity of terms, etc. I offer their cladistic masterpiece of "kinds" as the type example. The creationist quoted in the OP appears to have fallen victim to the same issue.

Upvote 0