Visit site
✟21,921.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
With all the discussion as to what it means to be "Spirit-filled"-- as in what "signs" are necessary, etc. I thought it might be interesting to re-visit one of THE "Spirit-filled/Charismatic" passages-- 1 Corinthians 12.

New American Standard said:
7 But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for R464 the common good. 8 For to one is given the word of wisdom R465 through the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge R466 according to the same Spirit; 9 to another faith R467 by F128 the same Spirit, and to another gifts R468 of healing F129 by F128 the one Spirit, 10 and to another the effecting F130 of miracles, R469 F131 and to another prophecy, R470 and to another the distinguishing R471 F132 of spirits, to another various kinds R472 of tongues, and to another the interpretation R473 of tongues. 11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing R474 to each one individually just as He wills.
First, it is important to note that these are NOT called "gifts of the Spirit", the way you usually hear it in P/C circles. A "gift" connotates that someone has been "given" something and that it is theirs.

Scripture, however, calls these 9 charisms "manifestations" of the Spirit. In other words, it is ways in which the Holy Spirit-- who indwells all believers-- manifests Himself through believers for the good of all the Church. Because one doesn't have a "manifestation" does that mean s/he doesn't have the Holy Spirit? After all, aren't we to live by faith not by sight (or manifestations)?

To add one more "twist" to this, there are actually 2 different greek words used in this passage for "one". One word is "heteros"-- meaning another of a different kind. The other word is "allos"-- meaning another of a similar kind.

Paul actually broke down these manifestations of the Spirit this way:

To one kind of person is given "word of knowledge"... To the same kind of person is given "word of wisdom"...

To a different kind of person is given "faith". To the same kind of person is given "gifts of healing."... to the same kind of person is given "effecting of miracles"... to the same kind of person is given "prophecy"... to the same kind of person is given "distinguishing of spirits"...

To a different kind of person is given "different kinds of tongues"... to the same kind of person is given "interpretation of tongues"

These leaves different people with different kinds of spiritual manifestations operating through them.

So how does one then classify "Spirit-filled"? Is it by one particular manifestation or another? Is it by the fruit of one's life? Or is it some combination of the above?

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
Well, I'm embarrassed to say that I hadn't noticed the word "manifestation" in the verse before. :o

1CO 12:4 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. [5] There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. [6] There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men.
1CO 12:7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good.

I don't see the manifestations as being in just a couple kinds of person - I read those verses as that the manifestations are spread throughout the congregation to the benefit of the whole congregation.

I'm going to re-read those verses and hope that someone wiser in the gifts/manifestations comes along! :)

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Good OP, Rick. Do you (or anyone) believe that any person can manifest any spiritual gift at any time “as the Spirit wills”? Personally, I believe every believer is given access to every gift/manifestation (in particular those in 1 Cor. 12) to utilize as he would any tool in a toolbox to accomplish whatever good (edification) the Spirit desires.

How do you believe the gifts/manifestations in 1 Corinthians 12 differ from those in, say, Ephesians 4.11: And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers. These seem to be special enablements or vocations given to “some” (individuals).

What do you think?

Sincerely,
~Ima B. Leever

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Hidden in Christ
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟346,909.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I see it as we all work at the Father's factory (His mission and plan for the world) We have one product (the Holy Spirit) and we have different machinery (the gifts) to accomplish the work.
Simple term, but it works for me.

Upvote 0

CrazyforYeshua

Blessed by the Best!!
Dec 4, 2005
Ohio
✟11,946.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jim M said:
Good OP, Rick. Do you (or anyone) believe that any person can manifest any spiritual gift at any time “as the Spirit wills”? Personally, I believe every believer is given access to every gift/manifestation (in particular those in 1 Cor. 12) to utilize as he would any tool in a toolbox to accomplish whatever good (edification) the Spirit desires.

The original verses say "to one is given", that says God gives it to who He wills, as other scripture also says.

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
In Romans 12: For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you. Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given us.

Christian's accountability involves "one anothers" that every members are encouraged to be actively serving and ministering their gifts. A local Church understands that people are not just looking for a Church to Worship, but a place where they can make real friendship, meaningful fellowship, and truly serving God. The writer of Hebrews 10:24-25 commands every believer to be a part of such a local body and reveals why this is necessary. NIV: "And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another and all the more as you see the Day approaching." The Scriptures teach every believers to be committed to a local church where he or she is loved and cared for, instructed in the things Christ commanded, encouraged to grow spiritually, and serving Christ effectively. Every believer who attends a Church of faith, commitment, and fruitfulness. The primary reason to become a participating member is not to gain a personal advantage, but to identify with the characteristics of biblical maturity and commitment to the mission and future of a local church. We have to realize that a local church's accomplishments will depend upon members' spiritual condition. If the people are submitting to the Holy Spirit, who will give them fruit. Quality is measured by the Christ-like living of a local church members. Let the Holy Spirit do what He will through you and see what He does with you. Just allow the Holy Spirit plant the desires to serve and watch fellow members affirm your spiritual gifts. 1 Corinthians 14:12 "So it is with you. Since you are eager to have spiritual gifts, try to excel in gifts that build up the church." The spiritual gifts are to be submitted as the Lord determines in an unifying way. God will use our spiritual gifts by His Spirit as He wills. Your spiritual gifts are for them, not for you.

Upvote 0

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Father Rick said:
With all the discussion as to what it means to be "Spirit-filled"-- as in what "signs" are necessary, etc. I thought it might be interesting to re-visit one of THE "Spirit-filled/Charismatic" passages-- 1 Corinthians 12.

First, it is important to note that these are NOT called "gifts of the Spirit", the way you usually hear it in P/C circles. A "gift" connotates that someone has been "given" something and that it is theirs.

Scripture, however, calls these 9 charisms "manifestations" of the Spirit. In other words, it is ways in which the Holy Spirit-- who indwells all believers-- manifests Himself through believers for the good of all the Church. Because one doesn't have a "manifestation" does that mean s/he doesn't have the Holy Spirit? After all, aren't we to live by faith not by sight (or manifestations)?

To add one more "twist" to this, there are actually 2 different greek words used in this passage for "one". One word is "heteros"-- meaning another of a different kind. The other word is "allos"-- meaning another of a similar kind.

Paul actually broke down these manifestations of the Spirit this way:

To one kind of person is given "word of knowledge"... To the same kind of person is given "word of wisdom"...

To a different kind of person is given "faith". To the same kind of person is given "gifts of healing."... to the same kind of person is given "effecting of miracles"... to the same kind of person is given "prophecy"... to the same kind of person is given "distinguishing of spirits"...

To a different kind of person is given "different kinds of tongues"... to the same kind of person is given "interpretation of tongues"

These leaves different people with different kinds of spiritual manifestations operating through them.

So how does one then classify "Spirit-filled"? Is it by one particular manifestation or another? Is it by the fruit of one's life? Or is it some combination of the above?

I am sure we agree that the phrase “Spirit Filled” is a term “coined” to describe the experience of being “baptized with the Holy Ghost” as in this scripture.

Ac 1:5
5 For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.
KJV

The result of the baptizing with the Holy Ghost was the receiving of “power” for the purpose of being a witness.

Ac 1:8
8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
KJV

Note: When baptized with the Holy Ghost the Holy Ghost did not come in them but upon them.

The Holy Ghost comes in a person when they are born again. He comes upon them when baptized with the Holy Ghost. Once the initial baptism take place, The Holy Ghost is “available” for manifestation as a witness. When he comes upon a person there is a manifestation, some of which you spoke of, from the gifts of the spirit. It is called gifts of the Spirit because they are only manifested as He wills (gives). The phrase “gifts of the spirit” is acceptable as verse 4 refers to “diversities of gifts” and verse 9 refers to gifts(plural meaning more than one) of healing” The word translated gift(s) is NT:5486

NT:5486
charisma (khar'-is-mah); from NT:5483; a (divine) gratuity, i.e. deliverance (from danger or passion); (specifically) a (spiritual) endowment, i.e. (subjectively) religious qualification, or (objectively) miraculous faculty:

KJV - (free) gift.
(Biblesoft's New Exhaustive Strong's Numbers and Concordance with Expanded Greek-Hebrew Dictionary. Copyright © 1994, 2003 Biblesoft, Inc. and International Bible Translators, Inc.)

Other benefits that are given to a person baptized with the Holy Ghost of course is the prayer language all receive who are baptized, is tongues. This gift of tongues is not to be confused with the manifestation of divers kinds of tongues, which should be accompanied by interpretation of tongues and is equal to prophecy.
:)

Upvote 0

Jesusong

Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟2,328.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
WOW!!! :eek:
Like BarbB I haven't really noticed the word manifestation before, or haven't really paid much thought to it.

In Romans 12:6 we read;
6 We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith.
7 If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach;
8 if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.
The list we see here are actual gifts that God gives to each believer, and these gifts are irrevocable.

However in 1Cor 12:4-11 we read;
4 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit.
5 There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord.
6 There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men.
7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good.
8 To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit,
9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit,
10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues.
11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.

Then in Eph 4:11-13 we read;
11 It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers,
12 to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up
13 until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.

Do we lump all of these together as gifts, or are they sorted out into different groups. In other words, would Romans 12 be gifts, 1Cor 12 be workings, and Eph 4 be service?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Questioning Christian

Sep 7, 2004
✟8,589.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Father Rick said:

Scripture, however, calls these 9 charisms "manifestations" of the Spirit.

semantics

God could have called them "gifts", "manifestations", or "Peanut Butter Captain Crunch", but they are what they are.

Upvote 0

Questioning Christian

Sep 7, 2004
✟8,589.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesusong said:
Do we lump all of these together as gifts, or are they sorted out into different groups. In other words, would Romans 12 be gifts, 1Cor 12 be workings, and Eph 4 be service?

Romans 12: motivational gifts [refers to your assignments]
I Corinthians 12: manifestation gifts [refers to your abilities]
Ephesians 4: ministry gifts [refers to people]

Upvote 0

Jesusong

Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟2,328.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Questioning Christian said:
Romans 12: motivational gifts [refers to your assignments]
I Corinthians 12: manifestation gifts [refers to your abilities]
Ephesians 4: ministry gifts [refers to people]
QC, I can agree with your statement except for 1Cor 12. We don't have these abilities to perform what is listed there. What I have always been told (and it makes perfect sense to me) is that these are supernatural manifestations that is given through the Holy Spirit for a particular purpose and when that purpose has been fulfilled the manifestation is lifted.

Would you agree??

Upvote 0

Father Rick

Peace be with you
Jun 23, 2004
Sitting at this computer
Visit site
✟21,921.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
Questioning Christian said:
semantics

God could have called them "gifts", "manifestations", or "Peanut Butter Captain Crunch", but they are what they are.
I agree that God could have called them anything He wanted to. But this is what HE chose to call them.

And I, for one, believe that God was very deliberate in the giving of His Word to us. If God labelled something as a particular thing, then we should pay attention to what He has to say about the subject.

You state "They are what they are". The question is "so what are they?" Since there are so many different opinions as to how these manifestations operate and who they operate through, then that is something that actually needs to be examined. We can't just start off saying "well, I know the answer... now let me look at scripture and prove I'm right". We rather have to start off with scripture and see what it actually has to say on the subject-- which may mean finding out we only have the answer partially correct and therefore "tweaking" what we thought we knew about it.

If one believes they are just for certain believers-- or that different believers get different ones of these-- as opposed to believing that the since every believer has the Holy Spirit, therefore every believer can operated in any/all of these, then that will obviously affect how one allows themselves to be used by God.

Upvote 0

Father Rick

Peace be with you
Jun 23, 2004
Sitting at this computer
Visit site
✟21,921.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
I notice that no one seems to be addressing the fact that Paul seems to state different types of people are used in different gifts...

Does this mean that one can only be used in certain gifts? Or that some people just seem to be more sensitive to certain leadings of the Spirit than other?

Since all of the manifestations of the Spirit here are seen in the Old Testament, except for tongues/interpretation, does this mean that one can be used in 7 of the charisms listed here without ever speaking in tongues (since OT saints did)?

Also, ever notice how every group of "Spirit-filled" believers always emphasize whatever manifestations that group is most comfortable with? For example, traditional Pentecostals tend to emphasize tongues and interpretation, WoF tends to emphasize faith/healing, etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Father Rick said:
I notice that no one seems to be addressing the fact that Paul seems to state different types of people are used in different gifts...

None of my concordances indicate the words you are using for your argument translated to what you say.

You made a statement concerning how the words were used, however there was no provision for backup about how you were trying to use the words.

I just do not see the translation you are presenting.:)

Upvote 0

BarbB

Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
Father Rick said:
....-- or that different believers get different ones of these-- as opposed to believing that the since every believer has the Holy Spirit, therefore every believer can operated in any/all of these, then that will obviously affect how one allows themselves to be used by God.

Well, Father Rick, I believed that different believers get different gifts, but that's just because I don't seem to have all the gifts. I'm open to the idea that Jim M expressed that the gifts are there like tools in a tool box. In fact, I find that idea most comforting. I see that I might have been limiting the Holy Spirit. :)

Upvote 0

psalms 91

Legend
Dec 27, 2004
✟127,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
BarbB said:
Well, Father Rick, I believed that different believers get different gifts, but that's just because I don't seem to have all the gifts. I'm open to the idea that Jim M expressed that the gifts are there like tools in a tool box. In fact, I find that idea most comforting. I see that I might have been limiting the Holy Spirit. :)
I believe that every believer can operate in any gift as God chooses but there is a difference between being used in a gift, for instance one may prophesy once or twice, and actually having the gift where you flow in it all the time. To me these are two seperate things but all from the Holy Spirit

Upvote 0

BarbB

Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
bill16652 said:
I believe that every believer can operate in any gift as God chooses but there is a difference between being used in a gift, for instance one may prophesy once or twice, and actually having the gift where you flow in it all the time. To me these are two seperate things but all from the Holy Spirit

Thanks, Bill - I understand what you are saying!

Upvote 0

Father Rick

Peace be with you
Jun 23, 2004
Sitting at this computer
Visit site
✟21,921.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
bstow said:
None of my concordances indicate the words you are using for your argument translated to what you say.

You made a statement concerning how the words were used, however there was no provision for backup about how you were trying to use the words.

I just do not see the translation you are presenting.:)
I'm posting the scripture with links to the greek...
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]12:7 But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good . [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]12:8 For to one 3303a> is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge according to the same Spirit; [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]12:9 to another faith by the same Spirit, and to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]12:10 and to another the effecting of miracles, and to another prophecy, and to another the distinguishing of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, and to another the interpretation of tongues. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]12:11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually just as He wills. [/FONT]
Click on the words "another" to see the 2 different words being used "heteros" and "allos". It is very clear that Paul used 2 different words-- with quite different meanings-- here. So why did he choose to do so? How signficant is it?

For those who may know greek, here's the interlinear:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.