Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have always been conscious, as most people probably are, that Gideon Bibles are simply often there in hotel rooms etc. Now as a Christian i am fascinated by how and why.
I think it is simply fantastic actually! What a great thing. To place Bibles like this.

I was visiting mum in hospital some years ago and visited the chapel there. Just curious and seeking peace. I was not a christian at the time. I took a small Gideon Bible. It lay in a drawer at home all this time ever since. Just a hard bound New Testament and Psalms. Today i found it and have put it in my handbag. A real treasure to read whenever i have to wait anywhere.
That seed was planted years ago and is now bearing fruit. Now it is the Word alive to me.

Has anyone else ever wondered about the Gideon Bible origins and work? Free Bibles. I wonder how it is funded?

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have been in churches most of my life that have been visited occasionally by reps from Gideons. And they INSIST they are "Gideon PLACED Bibles,: and not "Gideon's Bibles."

They are funded by individual contributions and congregational support.

"Rocky Racoon checked into his room
Only to find Gideon's Bible."
(c) 1968 Beatles
That seed was planted years ago and is now bearing fruit. Now it is the Word alive to me.
And that is the reason they do it. :)

Reactions: Call me Nic
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One of our church members used to support the hidden. They had a local group who would raise the cash. Get permission from schools and HOTELS etched to place the bible and deliver or place them.
They found it hard to get the permission from business.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟778,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One can join as a "Friend of Gideons" and donate to help the cause, I am one myself.

Interestingly until recently one could find the Book of Mormon in Marriott owned hotels as well, I am sure there are still plenty of Marriott hotels with them too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have always been conscious, as most people probably are, that Gideon Bibles are simply often there in hotel rooms etc. Now as a Christian i am fascinated by how and why.
I think it is simply fantastic actually! What a great thing. To place Bibles like this.

I was visiting mum in hospital some years ago and visited the chapel there. Just curious and seeking peace. I was not a christian at the time. I took a small Gideon Bible. It lay in a drawer at home all this time ever since. Just a hard bound New Testament and Psalms. Today i found it and have put it in my handbag. A real treasure to read whenever i have to wait anywhere.

Has anyone else ever wondered about the Gideon Bible origins and work? Free Bibles. I wonder how it is funded?
There are many incredible testimonies about the Gideon Bibles, from people ceasing from attempting suicide in hotel rooms due to finding a Bible and reading it (and coming to be saved), or from people like yourself who simply had a seed planted. It's true that it works, and God uses the company and Bibles they place powerfully.

At our church, we actually had one of their representatives come and give a testimony for the origins of the company and how it works. Apparently, it started off in the late 1800s (I think, so don't take my words for gospel), and it was a group of businessmen who had to travel much and they thought of the brilliant idea to start storing Bibles and keeping them in all the hotels that they had to visit so that wherever they went, they had a Bible. Well the idea caught fire and they ended up getting much funding from the local churches around the country and it exploded into what it is today, where they produce and spread God's word all over the world in different places.

The company is funded purely from donations from local congregations and churches, at will. They refuse to take any sort of income from any other companies by contracting with them because they're afraid that the enemy would use that against them; they don't receive subsidies from any government, nor loans. They strictly run by the churches and the tithes of local congregations.

Its actually quite brilliant.

My only problem with them nowadays is that they don't place KJV Bibles anymore (which I personally believe to be the standard that has never harmed anybody).

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

I read a little in the book of Psalms every morning, including when I travel, so I appreciate those Gideon's Bibles.

Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

i agree! I have ALWAYS loved what the Gideons do. I've also had their smaller New Testament and Psalms, Proverbs, and some hymns, and the writing about the Bible being the "mind of God".

It's a precious ministry.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
My only problem with them is that they don't allow women to join.
Hmmmm we have lady Gideons that comes into the Nursing Home where I often preach and they hand out bibles.
I know this because I raised a fuss with them because they handed a bible to everyone sitting in the room, Staff and residents alike and there were two confessed homosexual men sitting there as they passed them up and wouldn't offer to give them a bible. One of the men started crying and said, I guess I am to far gone for Jesus to even save me?
I had a melt down over that and still get angry thinking of it.
But I love and appreciate the gideons for all they do.

• Friendly
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Pilgrim

Praying without ceasing
Mar 26, 2017
between the pages of the Bible.
Visit site
✟200,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for sharing, Lilly.

There are many stories and testimonies in their blog.

Let us pray for the ministry of Gideons International who has reached untold millions of people during the lifetime of their mission to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Amen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟778,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hmmmm we have lady Gideons that comes into the Nursing Home where I often preach and they hand out bibles.
I know this because I raised a fuss with them because they handed a bible to everyone sitting in the room, Staff and residents alike and there were two confessed homosexual men sitting there as they passed them up and wouldn't offer to give them a bible. One of the men started crying and said, I guess I am to far gone for Jesus to even save me?

They are allowed to hand out Bibles, but only if their husband is a Gideon, they cannot be full members, only "Auxiliary" members.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
They are allowed to hand out Bibles, but only if their husband is a Gideon, they cannot be full members, only "Auxiliary" members.
Oh ok. Well that was just one very sad episode and hopefully not one that is repeated.

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Let's spread the good news

Their website will be a great place to find answers about their organization.

Upvote 0

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Hi
That truly disturbs me. Only God is judge, oh that poor man. That was a callous and wrong thing. Every person should have access to the gospels and Bible and be able to make their own choice.

Upvote 0