Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sure. I used to do some engineering work in acoustics. Phase shifts (delays in cause/effect relationships) can create a weird feeling. You're probably not old enough to have experienced such delays, but phone lines used to be really bad. When you called someone long distance, you would say something, expect a reply, not get it, and start to repeat yourself at exactly the time the response from the other person arrived. Then you get into this weird conversation:
"I said ... sorry ... you go ahead ... What did you say? Please repeat ... Huh? Sorry, I didn't get that ..."

Yet never once did the person on the other end suggest the problem was due to a brain defect ... well, my mother used to make comments, but I try to forget that.

Nope, not that old I guess. You can still get a slight delay effect from cell phones. Just hold both phones from the conversation to your ears and you can hear the about 1/2 second delay. Still a bit odd.

So why did the idea of a ghost prompt these researchers to look for brain defects? Even when they themselves admit perfectly healthy people have the same reaction?

I think their decision to do this study doesn't make sense apart from a disbelief in ghosts.

Probably explained in more detail in the actual study intro. Some people set out to disprove things. Others just try to find explanations for things.

Could be. They saw things and felt things. They called things invisible. Are the things they saw separate from the things they felt? The science writer did a poor job describing that.

So, I have questions. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Unreasonable to have questions? No, but while I may be reading into some of your posts things that weren't there, it seemed to me that some were based in unreasonable assumptions.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Probably explained in more detail in the actual study intro. Some people set out to disprove things. Others just try to find explanations for things.

And some dismiss explanations a priori; some presume an explanation.

This is fun. Your turn ... Oops. Did that have a tone?

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
And some dismiss explanations a priori; some presume an explanation.

This is fun. Your turn ... Oops. Did that have a tone?

Some presume bad intentions for scientists. Others do it for posters :p

Reactions: bhsmte
Upvote 0