Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Is the new Ghostbusters racist? Two hours after the release of the first trailer, Twitter can’t seem to decide.

Type “Ghostbusters racist” into Twitter’s search bar, and you’ll find a handful of people angry at the trailer’s portrayal of Leslie Jones, the only black lead among the main cast. You’ll also find — at the moment at least — far more people complaining about these accusations, firmly believing that the trailer and upcoming film is not racist.

Street-wise black caricatures have appeared in many movies. It is a trope, a cliche, the kind of character that lacks thought or depth in many of its examples. Is that what Jones’ character is in the latest Ghostbusters iteration?

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/03...h-excitement-but-also-fears-of-racist-tropes/

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: Uncle Siggy
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟878,679.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think it would be easier if we just declare everything anyone ever does is racist, even before they do it, then work on deciding if it isn't racist. That would save a lot more time.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
There appears to have been a Ghostbusters movie that came out in 1954. Is that for real?

Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
There appears to have been a Ghostbusters movie that came out in 1954. Is that for real?

No, I don't think that's real.

There was, though, a Ghost Busters show from the 70s that came on with the Saturday morning cartoons.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Is merely asking if a character is a cliche portrayal of African Americans in film of yesteryear racist (people act as if this stuff never happened before)? It's a valid question, but it perhaps better to watch the movie first. But they do have a point, the portrayal of the sassy black woman is getting tired, especially if you're not a sassy black woman and people expect you to be "like the one on TV."

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is merely asking if a character is a cliche portrayal of African Americans in film of yesteryear racist (people act as if this stuff never happened before)? It's a valid question, but it perhaps better to watch the movie first. But they do have a point, the portrayal of the sassy black woman is getting tired, especially if you're not a sassy black woman and people expect you to be "like the one on TV."
Agreed. I mean, yeah, you take step forward with having girls as the heros of the story (assuming that they don't do something stupid and have Chris Hemsworth end up saving the day). But I did roll my eyes at the sassy black woman trope.

In the original movie, Winston's character was originally scripted to be an ex-Marine with a PHD and while that never ended up in the final script, his back ground really isn't mentioned and he doesn't fill some token stereotype.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟837,468.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
No, I don't think that's real.

There was, though, a Ghost Busters show from the 70s that came on with the Saturday morning cartoons.

And of course, these ghost exterminators:

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it would be easier if we just declare everything anyone ever does is racist, even before they do it, then work on deciding if it isn't racist. That would save a lot more time.

What a racist post. Oh, wait...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I agree; its cliched and tired.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

One Voice Among Many1

Nov 16, 2015
✟20,953.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I was more offended by what was done to a treasured IP from my childhood.

I think you and I may actually agree on something. I saw the movie trailer and thought, "What on Earth have they done to Ghost Busters?!"

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think you and I may actually agree on something.
(I am going to post this because I do it every time I see a comment like that, if I'm going to be obnoxious when it's addressing them, I gotta be obnoxious when it's related to me.)

I saw the movie trailer and thought, "What on Earth have they done to Ghost Busters?!"
It's the curse of the remakes and a symptom of just how amazingly pathetic hollywood has become the past decade.

Instead of making something new, they take something old and make it bad.

Parts of my childhood that are victims of Hollywood:
Transformers (It was never great but it was neat for a kid, now it's just stupid and SPLOSIONS!!!! DID YOU SEE THE EXPLOSIONS? GOSH!)

GI Joe (Was always kinda silly, it didn't get any less silly on the big screen with actual actors, it got worse)

I think they are making a He-Man movie (Ok this was probably the goofiest thing I liked as a kid, with heroes like, "Moss-man" and villians like "Stinkor" I really don't know how Hollywood could make it any cringier)

They've started making movies out of old tv dramas, Miami Vice, 21 jump street, The A-Team, Charlies Angels, Beverly Hillbillies.. the list goes on and on and all it tells me is that Hollywood has no ideas of their own anymore.

Upvote 0

One Voice Among Many1

Nov 16, 2015
✟20,953.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
(I am going to post this because I do it every time I see a comment like that, if I'm going to be obnoxious when it's addressing them, I gotta be obnoxious when it's related to me.)

Lol. Very funny.

It's the curse of the remakes and a symptom of just how amazingly pathetic hollywood has become the past decade.

Instead of making something new, they take something old and make it bad.

Parts of my childhood that are victims of Hollywood:
Transformers (It was never great but it was neat for a kid, now it's just stupid and SPLOSIONS!!!! DID YOU SEE THE EXPLOSIONS? GOSH!)

GI Joe (Was always kinda silly, it didn't get any less silly on the big screen with actual actors, it got worse)

I think they are making a He-Man movie (Ok this was probably the goofiest thing I liked as a kid, with heroes like, "Moss-man" and villians like "Stinkor" I really don't know how Hollywood could make it any cringier)

They've started making movies out of old tv dramas, Miami Vice, 21 jump street, The A-Team, Charlies Angels, Beverly Hillbillies.. the list goes on and on and all it tells me is that Hollywood has no ideas of their own anymore.

I would add the Thunder Cats to that list. I loved that cartoon. And I agree with you about all these remakes and Hollywood obviously lacking original ideas.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
I think you and I may actually agree on something. I saw the movie trailer and thought, "What on Earth have they done to Ghost Busters?!"
Everything must be opposite of what it was. If the next James Bond isn't a short, fat, Asian transsexual, then the movie must be boycotted as racist.

Upvote 0

One Voice Among Many1

Nov 16, 2015
✟20,953.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Everything must be opposite of what it was. If the next James Bond isn't a short, fat, Asian transsexual, then the movie must be boycotted as racist.

I am not sure if everyone must be opposite of what it was or not. I saw the trailer of four women as the Ghost Busters, and being a woman myself, I thought it was a pretty stupid thing to do. I am all for equality for women in movies and such, please do not misunderstand, but four women as the Ghost Busters, and the black woman being cast as a loud mouth, did not set well with me. The movie just looked really stupid. Ghost Busters has been ruined. And I am not a James Bond fan, so I could careless who is cast.

Upvote 0