Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello neighbor. I plan on dropping by someday to get a look at your chapel. We may be heading north for vacation in a few weeks so maybe on the way up 75. How many does your mission/parish have in attendance now?

Please do come up for a visit :) We are very regional (attendance spans Columbus to Monticello to Eastman to Barnesville), basically all of middle Ga. We usually average around 16-18 for Liturgy, though we have guests from the local Greek church visiting while they move across town so it has been closer to 30 on Sundays :clap: Also makes for an interesting Liturgy as we mix Greek, English, Slavonic.

Upvote 0

ufonium2

Seriously, stop killing kids.
Nov 2, 2003
Visit site
✟12,536.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You could solve your meeting place, getting the word out, and (possibly) financial issues should they arise, with a bookstore/coffee shop. I realize that's a pretty bold endeavor, but in the right neighborhood a small storefront could rent fairly cheaply. The concept worked fairly well for the Christ the Saviour Brotherhood, but they also had a good support network.

Upvote 0

Paisley

Faith without works is dead. James 2:17
Mar 12, 2005
Northern California
✟4,415.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My first "exposure" to Orthodoxy was a bumper sticker. It gave me enough to pause and think about. Then my second "exposure" to Orthodoxy was getting out of my car to go to go into a shop for a nice smoothie, and I looked up, and there was the sign on the next suite over for a Antiochian Orthodox mission! I think probably my jaw dropped when I saw that. Then more curiousity about this, and between information on the Internet (http://www.antiochian.org/), and this board, and then I ordered the Orthodox Study Bible (NT), and it has continued to grow in me to this day. Sorry for the "testimony" - but it all started with a bumper sticker!

Reactions: Marjorie
Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Spyridon said:
Do any of you you have any ideas for advertising/ evangelism that could be used by a small group with a very small budget attempting to get an Orthodox mission off the ground in baptist land? :scratch:

We held a conference back in February that was rather poorly attended, but it seems to have helped us pick up one person. We also have a web site that because of my lack of talent is rather amateurish, but at least it's something I can point others to who ask about us - if they ever do. I am also in the process of mailing letters along with a brochure about the Orthodox Church and our group to a list of people with Russian/ Greek sounding names taken from the phone book.

I know that the most effective means is personal invitation to friends and those close to you. However, being fairly introverted I haven't developed a lot of friendships in the past. I have recently began seeing the value in doing so, most of which has nothing to with having a group of people to invite to Church. I have invited a couple of ex-coworkers so we'll see how that goes.

I'm trying to think of ways to get involved in conversation with people in the community, but no opportunity seems to materialize. either that or I don't yet know how to recognize or take advantage of those opportunities.

Please, any advise or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

P.S.
Yes we are canonical, and are under the O.C.A. diocese of the South working under the direction of a Parish 2 hours away.

You or your priest may want to contact Fr. Eric Tosi of the Dept. of Evangelization of the OCA. He is the chairman and he would probably have some good ideas. He started our mission as well as one before ours. He has a real heart and vision for missions. You can find his e-mail address on the OCA website (www.oca.org), or send me a private message and I can give it to you.

Upvote 0

Paisley

Mar 12, 2005
Northern California
✟4,415.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
elizabethevangeline said:
Hi PaisleyRose!

I love the rose avatar. Do you know the name of the rose?

And thanks for the bumper sticker story!

It is a Golden Celebration David Austin English rose. I have an Abraham Darby David Austin English rose, and plan on getting this one for my garden.

I'm glad you liked the bumper sticker story. :)

Upvote 0
Oct 6, 2004
✟1,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
PaisleyRose said:
It is a Golden Celebration David Austin English rose. I have an Abraham Darby David Austin English rose, and plan on getting this one for my garden.

Are you familiar with Heirloom Old Garden Roses in St. Paul OR? (website:www.heirloomroses.com) They have wonderful roses and ship all over. That's where I 1st saw David Austin English roses. I have a Happy Child (not doing so well), Heritage (wonderful!), and a Jude the Obscure (really nice). And Compassion is at my door. (not a DA, but it's lovely...as long as my dog doesn't chew on it again. :) I dig that roses have names.

Maybe we should start a new flower thread!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paisley

Mar 12, 2005
Northern California
✟4,415.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you familiar with Heirloom Old Garden Roses in St. Paul OR? (website:www.heirloomroses.com) They have wonderful roses and ship all over. That's where I 1st saw David Austin English roses. I have a Happy Child (not doing so well), Heritage (wonderful!), and a Jude the Obscure (really nice). And Compassion is at my door. (not a DA, but it's lovely...as long as my dog doesn't chew on it again. :) I dig that roses have names.

Maybe we should start a new flower thread!

Oh yes! I have heard of the Heirloom Old Garden Roses. I love David Austin Roses, and get mine from Jackson & Perkins (http://www.jacksonandperkins.com/)...and also have a new digital camera that I'm taking photos of the blooms, and learning the macro shots. Yes, we definitely should start a rose or flower thread. I'm an avid gardener. ^_^

Upvote 0

Photini

Gone.
Jun 24, 2003
✟18,808.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Oblio said:
Please do come up for a visit :) We are very regional (attendance spans Columbus to Monticello to Eastman to Barnesville), basically all of middle Ga. We usually average around 16-18 for Liturgy, though we have guests from the local Greek church visiting while they move across town so it has been closer to 30 on Sundays :clap: Also makes for an interesting Liturgy as we mix Greek, English, Slavonic.
I've been wanting to visit your parish too....for a very long time now. It's not THAT long of a trip from here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paisley

Mar 12, 2005
Northern California
✟4,415.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Spyridon said:
PaisleyRose,

Thanks for the testimony. It is encouraging to see God at work.

Steve

Thank you very much, Steve. It goes much deeper than what I've posted here, and some day, I will tell the full story. I am in awe of what God can do.

Upvote 0
Oct 6, 2004
✟1,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Xpycoctomos said:
Is that the one that was smokin about a year ago? They were afraid it was going to errupt?

It's still smokin' baby!

Last October it really started acting up again. The dome is re-building. We still see puffs of steam coming out. I'm south...any ash tends to go east.
You can see into the crater here: http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/ ...when the weather is clear!

Upvote 0

Paisley

Mar 12, 2005
Northern California
✟4,415.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's still smokin' baby!

Last October it really started acting up again. The dome is re-building. We still see puffs of steam coming out. I'm south...any ash tends to go east.
You can see into the crater here: http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/ ...when the weather is clear!

I have a friend who lives up there, and she says they are keeping an eye on this volcano. I remember the last time it blew its top off. :eek: That was horrible.

Upvote 0
Oct 6, 2004
✟1,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
PaisleyRose said:
I have a friend who lives up there, and she says they are keeping an eye on this volcano. I remember the last time it blew its top off. :eek: That was horrible.

I was in Jr High in '80, so some of the old stories that have been re-visited this year have more impact on me as an adult.

Like the newspaper photographer and his son who were camping out at Spirit Lake May 17, waiting for that perfect shot; but the boy got spooked and insisted they sleep further away from the mtn. So irritated dad relocated their camp further away to the SE, and to this day he tears up to tell how his son saved their lives.

There's also that story told by a resuer in a helicopter, of picking up a young couple who survived. The woman carried a backpack clutched to her chest and would not let go, even as the rescuer yelled there was no room and tried to take it. Once in the helicopter, the pack was opened to reveal a baby. :eek: Now, as a mom, that freaks me out.

This mtn. can't do the damage it did in '80. I think I'd be more nervous about living near Rainer.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.