Dec 8, 2004
South Georgia, USA
Visit site
✟8,096.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Do any of you you have any ideas for advertising/ evangelism that could be used by a small group with a very small budget attempting to get an Orthodox mission off the ground in baptist land? :scratch:

We held a conference back in February that was rather poorly attended, but it seems to have helped us pick up one person. We also have a web site that because of my lack of talent is rather amateurish, but at least it's something I can point others to who ask about us - if they ever do. I am also in the process of mailing letters along with a brochure about the Orthodox Church and our group to a list of people with Russian/ Greek sounding names taken from the phone book.

I know that the most effective means is personal invitation to friends and those close to you. However, being fairly introverted I haven't developed a lot of friendships in the past. I have recently began seeing the value in doing so, most of which has nothing to with having a group of people to invite to Church. I have invited a couple of ex-coworkers so we'll see how that goes.

I'm trying to think of ways to get involved in conversation with people in the community, but no opportunity seems to materialize. either that or I don't yet know how to recognize or take advantage of those opportunities.

Please, any advise or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

P.S.
Yes we are canonical, and are under the O.C.A. diocese of the South working under the direction of a Parish 2 hours away.

Oct 6, 2004
✟1,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Spyridon said:
Do any of you you have any ideas for advertising/ evangelism that could be used by a small group with a very small budget attempting to get an Orthodox mission off the ground in baptist land? :scratch:

This might sound silly, but I was able to connect with an Orthodox family in my town because of a bumper sticker. (I saw the car, left my name & number in a note under the wiper) We now ride to church together sometimes.

You can buy a sticker from Light & Life Publishing for $1.50 that say "Orthodox Christianity 2000 years" or "Orthodoxy: Proclaiming the Truth Since A.D. 33", there's probably room to write in your phone number?

Also, do you have a local newspaper that offers free announcements in the community activities section?

May God bless your efforts.

Upvote 0

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have no idea... but that's exciting!

You might want to write OCA, Antiochian, or GOA and see whaat they have to say. You'll probably have the most luck with the OCA and Antiochian jurisdictions, but you never know. GOA might be looking to making more efforts to support missions (shrugs).

John

Upvote 0

Spyridon

Dec 8, 2004
South Georgia, USA
Visit site
✟8,096.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
elizabethevangeline,

We have our website address (ValdostaOrthodox.org) and an Orthodox cross in vinyl lettering on the rear window of one of our vehicles. This pretty much covers the whole window, but don't worry it doesn't really obscure the view. I have been wanting to get one of those bumper stickers. Your story is very encouraging.

Before our readers services each month we list them in the religion section and the "goings on" section for free. Last month a man called and said he saw one of the ads and would be bringing his two children with him to our service the next day. He never showed. Maybe he'll come this month.

Steve

Upvote 0
Oct 6, 2004
✟1,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Cool. The website info on a car is a good idea...

I think the more you have your name out there the more someone will one day say, "OK, I keep seeing that name...what is it?"

You know...it's the season of small town festivals and parades, I just can't think of a classy way to present the Church on a float. :)

Upvote 0

Spyridon

Dec 8, 2004
South Georgia, USA
Visit site
✟8,096.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The parade float has crossed my mind, but like you I couldn't think of a way to make it work tastefully. A booth at a fair or festival would be good if we could get some materials together and summons up the courage to man it. I'm an introvert, but I'm working on coming out of my shell. I don't know how well I would be able to handle any serious questioners or aggressive hecklers. Maybe being put in the hot seat would be a good learning experience.

Steve

Upvote 0

Spyridon

Dec 8, 2004
South Georgia, USA
Visit site
✟8,096.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
ExOrienteLux said:
You don't need a float, ee. Just rent a space and set up a food stand with your name prominantly displayed and with info about the mission. If you sell good food (esp. Greek/Russian food), people will come.

So I guess I need to find some good cookbooks, huh? Worth a shot.
It would be a better draw than just information. See, that's why I need the input.

Steve

Upvote 0

Matrona

Lady Godiva Freedom Rider
Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Spyridon said:

Sounds familiar... sounds like my parish, I'm in the next state over from you and still very much in Baptist country. :)

We held a conference back in February that was rather poorly attended, but it seems to have helped us pick up one person.

One person! Then it was a rousing success! Praise God! :clap:

We also have a web site that because of my lack of talent is rather amateurish, but at least it's something I can point others to who ask about us - if they ever do.

Any website is better than none at all--content is everything.

I am also in the process of mailing letters along with a brochure about the Orthodox Church and our group to a list of people with Russian/ Greek sounding names taken from the phone book.

That's a good idea. :) But I think the most important thing is to pray consistently as a mission. I suggest committing to pray the Akathist to St. Seraphim of Sarov regularly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 6, 2004
✟1,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Spyridon said:
So I guess I need to find some good cookbooks, huh? Worth a shot.
It would be a better draw than just information. See, that's why I need the input.

Steve

This might be a way the home parish could help out...but check the requirements for selling food. There might be restrictions on home-made items, or a food-handling license might be required? Maybe the home parish has one?

Upvote 0
Oct 6, 2004
✟1,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Spyridon said:
The parade float has crossed my mind, but like you I couldn't think of a way to make it work tastefully. A booth at a fair or festival would be good if we could get some materials together and summons up the courage to man it. I'm an introvert, but I'm working on coming out of my shell. I don't know how well I would be able to handle any serious questioners or aggressive hecklers. Maybe being put in the hot seat would be a good learning experience.

Steve

Well, you could be really brave and skip tasteful... go for funny. Enter as pooper scoopers for a horse entry (doing the work that needs to be done!). Or enter a classic car with a catchy slogan ("Orthodoxy, still a classic after all these years...") and hand out candy.

That paired with a booth might be fun. Our church sold cookbooks from a booth one year. It was fun to talk to people, and we also provided a covered table and coloring supplies for children. It was a good resting place for families....maybe that's what your booth could do...provide a place to get free bottled water and a place for kids to have a time out.

Upvote 0

Spyridon

Dec 8, 2004
South Georgia, USA
Visit site
✟8,096.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Matrona said:
That's a good idea. :) But I think the most important thing is to pray consistently as a mission. I suggest committing to pray the Akathist to St. Seraphim of Sarov regularly.

:thumbsup: Must not forget that prayer is the most important work for our fledgling mission.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 6, 2004
✟1,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Spyridon said:
Childrens' time out booth. I like it. May not want to use time out in the name though. That may not be too attractive to children.

"Hey Jimmy let's go see that Children's Time Out booth." "But what did I do wrong daddy?"

:D yeah...not that kind of time out! Maybe a "Kid's Creative Station" or something. Having a covered area is good.

Upvote 0

ExOrienteLux

The thread killer
Jul 30, 2004
✟9,795.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
As far as food licenses go, I don't know about Georgia, but I know that Ohio makes you get a temporary one if you want to put up a fair booth. Check with your county Health Dept. to be sure.

For recipes, definitely ask the babas of your sponsor parish. They'll give you more recipes than you'll know what to do with.

Upvote 0

Spyridon

Dec 8, 2004
South Georgia, USA
Visit site
✟8,096.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oblio,

Hello neighbor. I plan on dropping by someday to get a look at your chapel. We may be heading north for vacation in a few weeks so maybe on the way up 75. How many does your mission/parish have in attendance now?

Deep in Baptist territory sounds militaristic.

Maybe can perform some sort of flanking maneuver or 'em. Better yet ya'll could come in from the north and we'll come up from the south while Tallahassee flanks from the west and St. Justin's in Jacksonville swings in from the east coast. Once we have the southern portion of our fair state fully occupied we'll take our new recruits northward to begin a campaign with our Atlanta area troops. Then we'll ... whew got a little carried away there. Visions of Stonewall racing through my head.

Maybe we should just let the Holy Spirit do His work and cooperate with Him. - But then again maybe St. Justin's could serve as our naval component and...

Steve

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.