• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Getting Over the Past

Does your OCD make it hard for you to let go of the past?

• Yes

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Quote scripture, take EVERY thought captive and put it in submission to Christ. Worry keeps you bound up and your thoughts cannot be free to worship, instead, the devil has you focusing on something that nobody is worried about, BUT, satan uses anything to weaken you.

When the thoughts come, reject them, capture them and lock them up in the grace of Christ, verbally aloud tell yourself that no weapon formed against you shall prosper. Redirect your thoughts instantly, think on the good things of Christ, soon the hold and chains of this will fall off, give no place to it and when times get tough, get your praise on, turn on some worship music and praise your way thru the battle. Grace to you in Jesus name. :angel:
2dee936d9860a210dfb54a076a34cbbd.jpg

Reactions: Tsquared
Upvote 0

Tsquared

Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2017
Canada
✟86,933.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Quote scripture, take EVERY thought captive and put it in submission to Christ. Worry keeps you bound up and your thoughts cannot be free to worship, instead, the devil has you focusing on something that nobody is worried about, BUT, satan uses anything to weaken you.

When the thoughts come, reject them, capture them and lock them up in the grace of Christ, verbally aloud tell yourself that no weapon formed against you shall prosper. Redirect your thoughts instantly, think on the good things of Christ, soon the hold and chains of this will fall off, give no place to it and when times get tough, get your praise on, turn on some worship music and praise your way thru the battle. Grace to you in Jesus name. :angel:
2dee936d9860a210dfb54a076a34cbbd.jpg
Thank you so much for the encouraging words! :) I will try this next time!

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's interesting to hear you say that, because recently I moved overseas and had the worst OCD episode I've had in years. I've been wondering how much the two events are related...I'm not sure if they're directly related, but I'm slowly realizing that because moving overseas fulfilled a long-term dream of mine, my mind was putting a lot of pressure on me to have EVERYTHING in my life figured out so I could be "perfectly" happy. Ah, the torments of OCD...I'm not sure I have any specific advice for you, but it does sound like OCD so keep fighting it as though it is! Refuse to give into the compulsion of continuing to ask your friend for forgiveness!

Upvote 0

Tsquared

Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2017
Canada
✟86,933.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
It's interesting to hear you say that, because recently I moved overseas and had the worst OCD episode I've had in years. I've been wondering how much the two events are related...I'm not sure if they're directly related, but I'm slowly realizing that because moving overseas fulfilled a long-term dream of mine, my mind was putting a lot of pressure on me to have EVERYTHING in my life figured out so I could be "perfectly" happy. Ah, the torments of OCD...I'm not sure I have any specific advice for you, but it does sound like OCD so keep fighting it as though it is! Refuse to give into the compulsion of continuing to ask your friend for forgiveness!
That's interesting Mari17, I am thinking maybe the move has triggered something, somehow. I am used to living in the country, so maybe moving to the city did something. I am definitely going to try my hardest to stop asking my friend for forgiveness, I just have to let it go, which is definitely easier said than done. I have these moments where I can think clearly and I often say to myself "why on earth am I letting myself feel guilty for something I'm forgiven for?" I am stubborn, so I am not going to let this take me out :) thanks again for your post!

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No problem! Trust me, I know how weird and awful OCD can be. I've often wondered how much of it is affected by external factors (stress, diet, moods, etc.). I think all of those things do affect it, but I think I'm coming to the conclusion that OCD is just going to be OCD regardless. I love the "clear" moments. Trust what your mind says then, and not when it's being anxious! Stubbornness is a great quality for fighting OCD - keep it up!

• Agree
Upvote 0

Tsquared

Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2017
Canada
✟86,933.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
No problem! Trust me, I know how weird and awful OCD can be. I've often wondered how much of it is affected by external factors (stress, diet, moods, etc.). I think all of those things do affect it, but I think I'm coming to the conclusion that OCD is just going to be OCD regardless. I love the "clear" moments. Trust what your mind says then, and not when it's being anxious! Stubbornness is a great quality for fighting OCD - keep it up!
I agree 100% with this! The clear moments are, dare I say, beautiful? It seems like I am back to my old self when I have those moments and I am able to think clearly and logically. I have come to realize that OCD is completely irrational and I have to treat everything it tells me as such. For instance, why would I all of a sudden feel guilty about something that happened 4+ years ago? That just doesn't make sense...if I truly did something that terrible, it should have kicked in long before that, not when I moved to a new city. However, I was thinking today what an advantage we have as Christians; not only do we have the family of God for support, but we also can come to God in prayer...I can't imagine facing this horrible condition without both of those.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mari17
Upvote 0

Shawb

Mar 13, 2017
Connecticut
✟31,365.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, you did say that you just moved if I heard correctly. OCD often acts up in response to stress. I know how you feel though. My OCD is now triggered everytime I have a memory of something regretful either past sins or regrettable actions. But that's how the devil works, remember he is the prosecutor who wants falsely convict us though God has forgiven us long ago.

Upvote 0

Tsquared

Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2017
Canada
✟86,933.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Well, you did say that you just moved if I heard correctly. OCD often acts up in response to stress. I know how you feel though. My OCD is now triggered everytime I have a memory of something regretful either past sins or regrettable actions. But that's how the devil works, remember he is the prosecutor who wants falsely convict us though God has forgiven us long ago.
That's so true, great point Shawb. I have started telling myself that God would never continually bring things up to torture my mind. Since praying and seeking him more after this issue, I feel like he has allowed me to see that it was the devil who was trying to blind me with the past. This makes sense, as you say, because when he does this he effectively disables us as Christians...so I have decided he is going to be the loser, not me! :)

• Winner
Reactions: Shawb
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chang

Jul 8, 2017
Hong kong
✟19,981.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I found I have OCD now and hope to get some advise from ocd Christian. Can I talk with you because I have read many of your article and know you can many experience TO flight against ocd.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Tsquared

Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2017
Canada
✟86,933.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I found I have OCD now and hope to get some advise from ocd Christian. Can I talk with you because I have read many of your article and know you can many experience TO flight against ocd.
Hello Chang, I would be more than willing to help in any way that I can. It's not an easy battle, but it can be fought with God on our side :)

• Prayers
Reactions: lamb7
Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Chang, these are all things your mind wants you to THINK you've done. Doubt is the number one weapon of OCD and it will fill you with confusion about whether or not you have done these things that you're afraid of. Your mind latches onto a fear and starts obsessing about it. The key is that instead of trying to ward off the doubts, you need to put up with them...sometimes even welcome them. It seems weird, but it actually breaks the cycle in your brain. It's like there's a phantom monster chasing after you - and the harder you run from it, the more it chases you. If you turn around and face it, though, by saying "Oh yeah, I guess all that stuff could be true," the monster doesn't know what to do anymore. And then, if you stare it in the face long enough, it suddenly disintegrates, because it was really never a monster after all, just a ghost of one. Sorry, I got a little imaginative there. But seriously, please look into CBT/ERP methods. One of my favorite pages about that is here:
Welcome
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I know this is a hard battle, but freedom is possible. It will be hard to get over it, but you can do it!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tsquared

Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2017
Canada
✟86,933.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Chang, these are all things your mind wants you to THINK you've done. Doubt is the number one weapon of OCD and it will fill you with confusion about whether or not you have done these things that you're afraid of. Your mind latches onto a fear and starts obsessing about it. The key is that instead of trying to ward off the doubts, you need to put up with them...sometimes even welcome them. It seems weird, but it actually breaks the cycle in your brain. It's like there's a phantom monster chasing after you - and the harder you run from it, the more it chases you. If you turn around and face it, though, by saying "Oh yeah, I guess all that stuff could be true," the monster doesn't know what to do anymore. And then, if you stare it in the face long enough, it suddenly disintegrates, because it was really never a monster after all, just a ghost of one. Sorry, I got a little imaginative there. But seriously, please look into CBT/ERP methods. One of my favorite pages about that is here:
Welcome
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I know this is a hard battle, but freedom is possible. It will be hard to get over it, but you can do it!!
Chang, I agree 100% with Mari17. OCD will use those doubts and turn them on your mind. Even in your absolute worst case scenario (if it were true), the devil is not able to take your salvation-Jesus has overcome the world and he is the giver of eternal life. I find that OCD preys upon uncertainty. Don't let anything convince you that you are beyond saving or beyond hope, that is a trick of the enemy.

• Friendly
Reactions: Chang
Upvote 0

Chang

Jul 8, 2017
Hong kong
✟19,981.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Welcome

Thank you for your help mari17. Sometimes I feel lonely TO face this problem and after I read your message , I feel more comfortable. I know I need to win the battle and I will try my best.

Upvote 0

Chang

Jul 8, 2017
Hong kong
✟19,981.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Chang, I agree 100% with Mari17. OCD will use those doubts and turn them on your mind. Even in your absolute worst case scenario (if it were true), the devil is not able to take your salvation-Jesus has overcome the world and he is the giver of eternal life. I find that OCD preys upon uncertainty. Don't let anything convince you that you are beyond saving or beyond hope, that is a trick of the enemy.

Thank you for your help mari17. Sometimes I feel lonely TO face this problem and after I read your message , I feel more comfortable. I know I need to win the battle and I will try my best.

Thank you Tsquared for your explanation. You said that devil cannot take my salvation help me to calm down a lot. But I know the battle not yet end but at least come to here I won't feel so lonely.

Upvote 0

lamb7

Little Lamb
Jul 19, 2017
USA
✟36,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone,

I was just wondering if there is anyone out there that has a hard time getting over the past because of their OCD? Recently (1 year ago), I moved to a new city and all of a sudden I started feeling guilty for things that happened several years ago (could the move to an unfamiliar city trigger this?). I contacted the person to see if there was anything between us that went without forgiveness, And he assured me that we were good. So that helped...temporarily of course; so I asked him again several months after, and again her said there was nothing at all and that everything is good. It seems like I can never have enough reassurance of this, there is always doubt. It was until recently that I've traced this to OCD. It feels like I simply cannot let this go, I feel like a terrible person even though my friend assures me that we are all good. Can anyone provide me with some tips that may help me to let go of this...I don't want this to negatively impact me forever. I wish to move on and leave this where it belongs...in the past. Thank you all in advance for your help!

Sounds like OCD, YES, the classic having to check if it is ok over and over again despite reassurance. I am always stuck in this loop. I even suffer from what I call false memory OCD it is horrible. Prayers to you

• Prayers
Upvote 0