Austin
✟26,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My old brother in Christ and I were talking on the phone when he mentioned that when walking his dogs every day he always passes an old gnarled fig tree. He noted that he thought it was funny that of all the leaves Adam and Eve could have chosen to cover themselves with was the fig's because it itches like crazy! LOL!

Well a few days later I was flipping through video shorts when up popped a preacher making the very same observation about the fig leaf. I thought, 'well that's interesting' and moved on.

A few days later up popped ANOTHER preacher talking about some other aspect of the fig. So I thought, "Ok God, what are you trying to tell me?"

So I googled the fig tree to see what else I could learn. Of many fascinating facts, I learned that they can live well over a hundred years, especially in climates like the Middle East. And something unique amongst all species of trees is that the fig tree continues to bear fruit well into very old age. Okey-doke. But I still didn't get the point.

Well a few days later I was doing my morning devotional when I came across the following:

Psalms 92:13-15 NKJV

"Those who are planted in the house of the Lord shall flourish in the courts of our God. They shall still bear fruit in old age; they shall be fresh and flourishing, to declare that the Lord is upright; He is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in Him."

God knew that I had been struggling with the growing limitations of advancing age and whether I was really that useful anymore. Isn't it great how He used a living metaphor to encourage me AND my friend (who I discovered had been having the same struggle) to keep on planting seeds for His Kingdom and trusting Him to bear the fruit?

Hope this blesses you too if you ever wonder. I just love when He brings His Word to life like this. I would love to hear examples of how He has done this for you too! God bless.

One God and Father of All

Apr 20, 2018
Wilmington, DE
✟18,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My old brother in Christ and I were talking on the phone when he mentioned that when walking his dogs every day he always passes an old gnarled fig tree. He noted that he thought it was funny that of all the leaves Adam and Eve could have chosen to cover themselves with was the fig's because it itches like crazy! LOL!

Well a few days later I was flipping through video shorts when up popped a preacher making the very same observation about the fig leaf. I thought, 'well that's interesting' and moved on.

A few days later up popped ANOTHER preacher talking about some other aspect of the fig. So I thought, "Ok God, what are you trying to tell me?"

So I googled the fig tree to see what else I could learn. Of many fascinating facts, I learned that they can live well over a hundred years, especially in climates like the Middle East. And something unique amongst all species of trees is that the fig tree continues to bear fruit well into very old age. Okey-doke. But I still didn't get the point.

Well a few days later I was doing my morning devotional when I came across the following:

Psalms 92:13-15 NKJV

"Those who are planted in the house of the Lord shall flourish in the courts of our God. They shall still bear fruit in old age; they shall be fresh and flourishing, to declare that the Lord is upright; He is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in Him."

God knew that I had been struggling with the growing limitations of advancing age and whether I was really that useful anymore. Isn't it great how He used a living metaphor to encourage me AND my friend (who I discovered had been having the same struggle) to keep on planting seeds for His Kingdom and trusting Him to bear the fruit?

Hope this blesses you too if you ever wonder. I just love when He brings His Word to life like this. I would love to hear examples of how He has done this for you too! God bless.
Galatians 5:22-23 - But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

I’ll be 60 this year and I can still have those things.

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,557.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
I was reading, in Mark 11, about Jesus withering the fig tree which had leaves but bore no fruit. My NIV Study Bible notes said that a tree full of leaves should have fruit on it and wondered if the Lord was reminding me that I should be bearing fruit in my old age. In my case I think that relates to a particular project the Lord wants me to do.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
He noted that he thought it was funny that of all the leaves Adam and Eve could have chosen to cover themselves with was the fig's because it itches like crazy! LOL!
That is not what the Bible says. Adam and Eve made clothing from the fiber of the fig tree. It is more like paper than cloth and does not hold up well. It is good for a few days if you want to get dressed up for a festival.

Upvote 0