Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I think I know what and how I deal with this but the reason for the thread is the fact that I am beginning to second guess my decisions.

I have recently been contacted by an ex-boyfriend who I have not seen for over 25 years. I dated him when I was only 22 and unsaved but I had split with him due to the fact that he made me feel insecure (he had way too many female friends who would contact him on a regular basis, as he was a musician ). I was honest with him and basically recall saying something along the lines of "We're not married and so I'm not in a position to insist that you reduce the amount of females contacting you. But this is what I need right now and I don't think you can fill that." He was ok about it at the time but every once and a while he would touch base to catch up. This stopped when I told him that I had gotten married back in 98.

When I was going through my divorce he randomly contacted me and I think at the time he was single, but I blurted out in a kind of cold way that I was a committed Christian and settled with a family (I didn't tell him that I was going through a divorce). He sounded surprised but also said he was a Christian and played in the worship team at his local church. I didn't have much to say in the call and he went on his way.

So in the last few weeks or so I've been getting missed calls (I have kept the same cell phone number as this is the phone linked to work). He got me last night and the purpose of the call was to invite me out to a gig he was playing at. He was ringing because the location of the gig was a bar/ club where I use to DJ at when we were dating. He wanted to tell me that. He also pointed out that the gig that evening was some kind of outreach and tried to quickly say it was somehow linked to his faith. When he said this, I felt a knot in my stomach. Again there were long awkward silences on my part as I didn't want to lie and say I was married but also did not want to say I was divorced. I wished him the best for the evening and the call ended.

I thought that was the end of it until I got a text msg later that evening, where he had sent a video advertising the gig.

Since creating this thread, I have replied to the effect of the fact that I can share the video to my grown nephews and nieces but that I won't be able to make it. I felt like I should have been honest with him and state that I really do not frequent bars on my own on a school night, that I am too grown for that, and it contrasts with my faith.

I'm wondering whether or not I should say that to him or am I making too many assumptions about him? (us Brits tend to "go all around the wrekin" and are not to the point). I am assuming that he still pictures the young naive woman that I was. I am very very much different to how I was back then but I'm not sure he sees that. He - like my ex-husband - now that I look back had traits similar with someone who *could* be controlling. For example, he was about 8-9 years my senior and so we wouldn't have conversations per se but it was more like him offering his advice on matters. So it wasn't an equal relationship.

I am thinking I wasn't blunt enough in terms of being civil but making it clear that I am not interested, or the only thing I would be interested in would be a relationship where the male is strong in his faith, a committed Christian who would not/does not still play music in a secular bar.

I am also so out of my comfort zone - since my divorce I was happy to literally focus on raising my kids on my own and I feel that entering into a relationship is nothing more than opening a can of worms. Also, I don't trust my judgement of character anymore on this front too after messing up so enormously with my ex husband.

Any brotherly or sisterly advice would be appreciated.

• Prayers
Reactions: quietpraiyze

Servant68

Sleepless 300 miles from Seattle
Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I find it a bit odd that a worship team would be playing a bar as part of an outreach program, but it is within Biblical standards to go to where the sinners are and share the gospel.

But it sounds more like you are uncomfortable with the idea of possibly becoming romantically involved again with someone that may have a controlling personality. Of course, it's been 25yrs and he has supposedly become a Believer. I see no harm in simply speaking with him to see what kind of person he's become.

Upvote 0

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Thanks Servant68, yep I think that plays a very large part. If it pans out that it is just a friendly chat, I'd be ok with that.

But you're right, my guard's up due to the playing in a bar bit and whether he is looking for something romantically.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have recently been contacted by an ex-boyfriend who I have not seen for over 25 years. ... When I was going through my divorce he randomly contacted me ... He sounded surprised but also said he was a Christian and played in the worship team at his local church. ... He got me last night and the purpose of the call was to invite me out to a gig he was playing at. He was ringing because the location of the gig was a bar/ club where I use to DJ at when we were dating.

Sounds to me like he's still very, very interested.

Sounds to me like he's trying to find common ground with you, but you've changed more than he realises.

Of course, he might have changed more than you realise.

Upvote 0

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Sounds to me like he's still very, very interested.

Sounds to me like he's trying to find common ground with you, but you've changed more than he realises.

Of course, he might have changed more than you realise.
This is what unnerves me - I was thinking whether I am judging him too harshly, that perhaps I am still picturing a person that I knew 25+ years ago (who I definitely would not have anything to do with).

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is what unnerves me - I was thinking whether I am judging him too harshly

Quite possibly. It's likely that he's changed as much as you have. The only way to find out would be to spend some time with him, in a low-risk setting. You could have coffee. Or you could visit his church.

• Informative
Reactions: Lotuspetal_uk
Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Lots of good advice.
I really found I wasn't witnessing much till I went out and spent enough time with unchurched people that they were willing to speak to me honestly about their life. Some might call what I do as friendship evangelism. I assume after years of being a Christian one should be able to go into any unchurch situation and be a friend to people without losing their faith.

The other thing that strikes me is how uncomfortable you indicate you are with these phone conversations. I had a similar issue that was part of the reason for my divorce. So I set out to talk with a lot of people to get practice. 10 years now has taught me much and I'm a pretty good conversationalist now.

So I'd say going and learn. Your not making any commitment but going to see the band play.

Upvote 0

quietpraiyze

In The Secret Place
Nov 18, 2011
✟93,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think you should trust your first response. You don't have to share anything you don't want to. A person is an "ex" for a reason. If you do want to "catch up" with him then let it be on your terms when you feel safe and comfortable in your skin...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Why don't you gather your nieces and nephews that you would have passed the info to and go with them? Since I assume you have changed since becoming a Christian and growing up over the past 25 years, why do you assume that he is the same as he was back then? If you are absolutely "okay" with being single for the rest of your life, then tell him this. If you have been praying that God bring you a spouse or partner, then I think that maybe you should at least take a couple minutes to see who he is now.

The flip side to "why a person is an ex, is that you once liked them enough to once be attracted for some reason"....sometimes things don't work because of where we in life at a certain time in life.

Upvote 0

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
@dayhiker , @quietpraiyze , @blackribbon ,

Guys, as always your posts are helpful and wise.

I've slept on it last night, I need to take things at my own pace and let him know too. I've realised from the communication that I am still not completely healed from close to 14 years of abuse. Dayhiker, you've touched on something as well - the fact that I have not had the need to communicate with someone who has taken an interest in me for nearly 20 years. I am clueless as to what to say and it petrified me, :) . I am ok when doing my job and dealing with people at work but this was new and I felt so out of my depth. Again this is something that I need to practice and get use to if there are more of such situations.

Qpraiyze, amen to that, based on the communication so far he's coming across as the same personality which eventually caused me to break up all those years ago.

BRibbon, the bar got converted into an adult/sports bar I think like Hooters. My nieces and nephews are more open minded in a European kind of way so would have no problem going there. So the knot I got was how would a Christian group do 'outreach' there. Thats said, you are right though that perhaps there was some prejudging on my part. There may be a reason as to why he would randomly come back into my life.

More importantly I need to let him know. If he has changed, he may be up for a coffee sometime but I need to explain that right now my kids come first and I still need space.

Thanks you guys :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Run. For. The. Hills.
2nd Opinions Ch5 v 9.

Seriously...this has drama written all over it.
Totally agree - I left it alone in the end, after weighing all things up.

I need to just focus on looking after the kids first and making sure I've secured an income to keep the roof over our heads :)

Upvote 0