• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
I just went to the ENT today and I got diagnosed with this. It's also called Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease and Acid Reflux. So I'm pretty sure that what I've been throwing up on a lot of mornings is stomach acid (I originally believed it to be phlegm caused by allergies) and to help me out to start I'm going to stop eating bedtime snacks so late, and start taking Omeprazole and sleeping on a certain kind of padding that will help me so I'm not lying down flat. Oh and also going to start a food diary of what I eat since I don't throw up every day and it would be nice to know what's causing it.

I am tagging @JohnDB and @Andrewn on this to let them know just in case they're interested or care. (Speaking about one of them towards that last part since I recently told them something and not sure if they want to know me anymore. :( I won't really get into that on this thread though since it's something entirely different.)

Last edited:

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just went to the ENT today and I got diagnosed with this. It's also called Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease and Acid Reflux. So I'm pretty sure that what I've been throwing up on a lot of mornings is stomach acid (I originally believed it to be phlegm caused by allergies) and to help me out to start I'm going to stop eating bedtime snacks so late, and start taking Omeprazole and sleeping on a certain kind of padding that will help me so I'm not lying down flat. Oh and also going to start a food diary of what I eat since I don't throw up every day and it would be nice to know what's causing it.

I am tagging @JohnDB and @Andrewn on this to let them know just in case they're interested or care. (Speaking about one of them towards that last part since I recently told them something and not sure if they want to know me anymore. :( I won't really get into that on this thread though since it's something entirely different.)

That's awful. Hope you get to feeling better

Reactions: April_Rose
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's also called Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease and Acid Reflux. So I'm pretty sure that what I've been throwing up on a lot of mornings is stomach acid (I originally believed it to be phlegm caused by allergies) and to help me out to start I'm going to stop eating bedtime snacks so late,
and start taking Omeprazole and sleeping on a certain kind of padding that will help me so I'm not lying down flat. Oh and also going to start a food diary of what I eat since I don't throw up every day and it would be nice to know what's causing it.
You are right not to ignore Acid Reflux because it can do great harm as well as cause a lot of discomfort, even though it's usually stopped 100% with simple over-the-counter medications taken on a regular basis (not just when symptoms occur).

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
You are right not to ignore Acid Reflux because it can do great harm as well as cause a lot of discomfort, even though it's usually stopped 100% with simple over-the-counter medications taken on a regular basis (not just when symptoms occur).

Yeah, it feels awful and I guess I was off on the medication. I was prescribed with Pepsicol. (I think that's how you spell it.) It's not that serious though. Losing weight, getting more exercise, and cutting back on cats would probably help me too.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's not that serious though. Losing weight, getting more exercise, and cutting back on cats would probably help me too.

Those are actions usually taken if there is a more advanced case of GERD. If your doctor has given you a prescription medicine, it might be that you are in that category. Others of my acquaintance, however, simply take Omeprazole from the grocery store shelf and are relived of all symptoms.

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
Those are actions usually taken if there is a more advanced case of GERD. If your doctor has given you a prescription medicine, it might be that you are in that category. Others of my acquaintance, however, simply take Omeprazole from the grocery store shelf and are relived of all symptoms.

Actually he put me on Pepcid. (Was close before lol)

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Actually he put me on Pepcid. (Was close before lol)
I wondered if that was what you had in mind. It's a popular medication available over-the-counter (although he may have prescribed a dosage for you that's stronger than the OTC version).

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
The thing is that we were so sure that it was allergy and sinus related. (I have been also been having other health issues that I'm not going to get into here since I don't have the cause yet and this thread is specifically meant for my GERD.)

He looked into my ears and sinuses and said that they were perfect so he diagnosed me with this. If he's wrong and treatments don't work then I will go back for a MRI. Hoping he's right though and he's pretty sure that's what it is,.. just not sure whether or not it's completely cureable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I just went to the ENT today and I got diagnosed with this. It's also called Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease and Acid Reflux. So I'm pretty sure that what I've been throwing up on a lot of mornings is stomach acid (I originally believed it to be phlegm caused by allergies) and to help me out to start I'm going to stop eating bedtime snacks so late, and start taking Omeprazole
I'm so glad it's such a simple and common issue. Praise God.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Also I do believe another name for it is heartburn.
Yes, but when people talk about heartburn they tend to think that it's something minor like a belch after a big meal. In reality, your muscles are failing to keep stomach acid in your stomach and out of your esophagus. That's why some people turn to sleeping sitting up.

But most of the time a daily pill is all that's needed to keep it under control and allow you to live a completely normal life.

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
Yes, but when people talk about heartburn they tend to think that it's something minor like a belch after a big meal. In reality, your muscles are failing to keep stomach acid in your stomach and out of your esophagus. That's why some people turn to sleeping sitting up.

But most of the time a daily pill is all that's needed to keep it under control and allow you to live a completely normal life.

Yeah and I think (as I recently found out) you can have heartburn without having GRED.

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
I'm so glad it's such a simple and common issue. Praise God.

Yeah I know, I just remembered the wrong medication that he said he was going to put me on until I looked at the box because I thought that's what he had originally said. So yeah,.. couldn't remember what I had bought until I looked at it LOL whatever works, works though. :D Pepcid seems to be effective too,.. but it keeps making me want a Pepsi since that's what the word reminds me of. :p

• Haha
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I sometimes do that. Un-diagnosed and its intermittent. I can go months where it doesn't pop up. And then it can pop a few times in a week or a month.

I think it is probably related to another undiagnosed condition I got of sleep apnea. Its very jarring and unsettling, and puts a dent in your ability to sleep that night.

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
I sometimes do that. Un-diagnosed and its intermittent. I can go months where it doesn't pop up. And then it can pop a few times in a week or a month.

I think it is probably related to another undiagnosed condition I got of sleep apnea. Its very jarring and unsettling, and puts a dent in your ability to sleep that night.

Sorry to hear that. :(

Upvote 0