Minnesota
✟215,388.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
“As this indictment shows, looking the other way when violence occurs is not an option in Georgia,” said Carr. “If you come to our state and shoot a police officer, throw Molotov cocktails at law enforcement, set fire to police vehicles, damage construction equipment, vandalize private homes and businesses, and terrorize their occupants, you can and will be held accountable.”
There are thousands around the country who committed violent acts and need to be held accountable. This is a start.

Reactions: MehGuy

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The indictment focuses on Defend the Atlanta Forest, an environmental group described by the attorney general’s office as an “anarchist, anti-police, and anti-business extremist organization.”

The indictment says the group’s purpose “is to occupy of parts or all of 381 forested acres in DeKalb County, Georgia,”

I have a low tolerance for violent environmental groups. They've caused some horrible harm to loggers in the past.

• Agree
Reactions: Belk
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The actual counts are interesting.

5 people are charged with domestic terrorism and arson.
3 are charged with multiple counts of 'money laundering', which appears to be using charitable donations to pay for food and supplies at the camp.

The other 53 people aren't charged with anything but the conspiracy.

You may recall how people scoffed that conspiratorial acts in the Trump RICO case included 'making phone calls' and what not. In this case we have:

1694361573356.png

Obviously, we will have a trial and evidence. If it comes out that Emily Murphy conspired to set fire to police cars, then so be it. She can take her lumps. But the sense I get is that people who were making legal protests have been portrayed as conspirators with the violent offenders. So I predict the number of guilty pleas and verdicts will be closer to 5 than 61.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Antifa is becoming one of those words that the the far right media is using to a point that it merely means "a group we don't like." The group here is Defend the Atlanta Forest, which the indictment and even the article correctly identify (though the article still uses the buzzword "Antifa").

Having said that, I believe like most everyone else that will comment, I have no issue with charges being filed, even the RICO ones, for those that committed criminal acts.

Upvote 0