George Zimmerman, the Constitution, and the shifting politics of self-defense

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
..... My guess is that Zimmerman will indeed get a new judge as Lester is certainly biased against him at this point.

A lot of information has been falsified abut what happened between Zimmerman and Martin, and some of that falsifying seems to have come from the authorities
"MachZerO" is good at speculating and making unsubstantiated accusations against the judge and the authorities, and then has the audacity to demand a high degree of legal correctness from everyone - except himself.

"MachZerO" completely ignored post #219 that details the circumstances under which Zimmerman had his bail revoked because it contradicts into his predetermined version of what transpired.

George Zimmerman reminds me of an O. J. Simpson who may have escaped the initial murder conviction but is now doing time in jail.

Zimmerman may never be be convicted of murdering Martin, but having demonstrated a pattern of behavior (conspiring to withhold his financial assets) that “under any definition ... flaunted the system” (Judge Lester's words) coupled with lying on his application for a 2nd passport and sexual molestation creates a downward spiral that can only result in one outcome - major jail time!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Plenty if evidence suggested he acted recklessly, and the courts will decide if his course of actions are what a person of sound mind would do.
Sorry, but there isn't a hint of recklessness in Zimmerman's actions. We can't necessarily say the same for Martin however.

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry, but there isn't a hint of recklessness in Zimmerman's actions. We can't necessarily say the same for Martin however.

According to you, however, most people would say Zimmerman did not exhibit the behavior of a normal rational person who's motto is "safety first". Arming yourself and go chasing some poor kid before shooting them just isn't normal
behavior.

To most people, at least. He could be tap dancing on the ceiling and you'd think the was normal.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
According to you, however, most people would say Zimmerman did not exhibit the behavior of a normal rational person who's motto is "safety first". Arming yourself and go chasing some poor kid before shooting them just isn't normal
behavior.

To most people, at least. He could be tap dancing on the ceiling and you'd think the was normal.
Arming yourself is not reckless, and trying to keep tabs on a suspicious person until police arrive is not reckless either. So I would most people would disagree with you.

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Arming yourself is not reckless, and trying to keep tabs on a suspicious person until police arrive is not reckless either. So I would most people would disagree with you.

When youre on prescription drugs, armed, and suspicious of an individual who has committed no crime, and the result is a dead kid, common sense would say no, he was not acting in a careful manner, but rather reckless.

This will be for the courts to decide. Not your armchair lawyer commentary.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When youre on prescription drugs, armed, and suspicious of an individual who has committed no crime, and the result is a dead kid, common sense would say no, he was not acting in a careful manner, but rather reckless.

This will be for the courts to decide. Not your armchair lawyer commentary.
What you just described was a person acting completely within the the law. You did not describe one illegal act on Zimmerman's part.

On the other side of the story though, we have Martin who tested positive for illegal drugs, who viciously attacked Zimmerman without cause, threatened to kill him, savagely battered him and indeed attempted to kill him. That's why I expect no trial and no civil action against Zimmerman

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All of those things individually are not crimes; however, you put all of that together, it can be determined that his actions were indeed reckless that ended up with a dead kid.

More factors are involved than you care to acknowledge.

One way or another, it looks like he will be spending time in jail.

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Lol an illegal drug that has killed no one, as opposed to prescriptions that kill more people a year than any other drug. Yeah, stick with that.

Fat out of shape excuse for a human being arms himself, involves himself in an altercation, gets the crap beat out of him in a brawl, and kills the better human specimen.

Dont be surprised if I'm not sympathetic.

Upvote 0

RaiseTheDead

Jul 15, 2012
✟1,035.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
All of those things individually are not crimes; however, you put all of that together, it can be determined that his actions were indeed reckless that ended up with a dead kid.

Do you acknowledge that Martin himself, introduced some factors into this? If I were in his shoes, I could've avoided violence altogether. If you were in his shoes, you would've attacked Zimmerman as soon as you saw he had a gun. Which one of us would have survived?

I suggest you could re-evaluate your values, and come out ahead

Upvote 0

RaiseTheDead

Jul 15, 2012
✟1,035.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Fat out of shape excuse for a human being arms himself, involves himself in an altercation, gets the crap beat out of him in a brawl, and kills the better human specimen.

Dont be surprised if I'm not sympathetic.

Suddenly your entire stance makes sense; you favor a master race, and you think members of it should be able to impose their will upon the rest. Ok, I get it, but that's where the comprehensible part stops. You then acknowledge it was indeed self-defense, but you choose to deny the victor that right because he is a "fat out of shape excuse for a human being." (You also ignore that he dropped a lot of weight in recent years, but none of that has any bearing on what happened that fateful night)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

One way or another, it looks like he will be spending time in jail.
Taken altogether, they reveal noting reckless at all. Rather they reveal a person with a community minded spirit. looking out for his neighbors as he was requested to do by the HOA

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you acknowledge that Martin himself, introduced some factors into this? If I were in his shoes, I could've avoided violence altogether. If you were in his shoes, you would've attacked Zimmerman as soon as you saw he had a gun. Which one of us would have survived?

Martin was running toward his destination. Had he continued on toward his destination, he would be alive today.

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Its difficult to say. In many instances people have saved their own lives by preemptively attacking an armed assailant before they have a chance to draw their weapon. There are also instances of people being shot inthe back because they chose to flee from confrontation.

Martin probably could have ran. But when approached by a stranger who is armed, who most likely did not calmly and politely introduce himself to appear nonthreatening, it's difficult to say what course of action is the safest.:doh:

Upvote 0

RaiseTheDead

Jul 15, 2012
✟1,035.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
In many instances people have saved their own lives by preemptively attacking an armed assailant before they have a chance to draw their weapon.

Certainly. In fact, just yesterday a neighbor asked for help, that could very well have put me in exactly the position of needing to make such a pre-emptive strike. The difference is, instead of being out in the open, I would've had every advantage, being inside a house and waiting for a known, repeated stalker, with the element of surprise on my side. Rest assured said individual would have been given NO opportunity to draw a weapon, or even to use it if it were already drawn. Fortunately it didn't come to that. And unfortunately this creep is still at large ...

What this does not address is the fact that if Zimmerman had a gun, he shouldn't have been within 20 feet of Martin without having it drawn, and decidedly controlling the situation.

Martin probably could have ran. But when approached by a stranger who is armed, who most likely did not calmly and politely introduce himself

:doh: How did Martin ever get in such a position in the first place? He had lost Zimmerman, completely. All he had to do was go home, as has been claimed was his innocent intent. This "superior specimen" got beaten in a foot race by Zimmerman? You and I both know better. Neither of us know what happened, but there is more to this than has come to the surface so far. If it wasn't Martin's intent to confront Zimmerman, how did they ever meet face to face? Note that this is a serious question!

Even if Zimmerman was hunting him, with intent to kill, how did he get within arm's reach of Martin, without Martin also desiring that to happen? Note that I don't buy that Zimmerman was actually hunting Martin with intent to kill after calling the Police to the scene; I'm just pointing out the absurdity of this hypothetical, which you seem to have convinced yourself is reality.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Its difficult to say. In many instances people have saved their own lives by preemptively attacking an armed assailant before they have a chance to draw their weapon. There are also instances of people being shot inthe back because they chose to flee from confrontation.

Martin probably could have ran. But when approached by a stranger who is armed, who most likely did not calmly and politely introduce himself to appear nonthreatening, it's difficult to say what course of action is the safest.:doh:
Martin did run. The question is, why did he return. The apparent answer is that he returned in order to start a fight with Zimmerman. For that, he paid a heavy price.

Upvote 0