Iowa
✟9,888.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
For answering that question (I hope this is allowed in this forum): Yes, we all have faith. We only don't share your particular interpretation of the Bible.

First of all, that was a rhetorical question. Second, you conveniently left out the rest of my statement, which was the main point.

My question is- do they really have faith? If they have thrown out that part of the Bible, or 'reinterpreted' it, then it's not much of a stretch to continue throwing out (or reinterpreting) everything else that does not 'make sense'. (Like the fact that Jesus died on the cross for our sins and rose again- a vital belief for salvation). I believe these people are in serious danger of losing what faith they do have.

Man's logic is flawed, and cannot possibly understand God's ways. That is clearly stated in the Bible- many many times.

Upvote 0

Paul365

Nov 22, 2007
✟15,221.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First of all, that was a rhetorical question. Second, you conveniently left out the rest of my statement, which was the main point.
I left it out because I am not sure if I am allowed to comment it on this forum. But if you post your statement on the Origins Theology forum I'll gladly answer.

Upvote 0

LutheranChick

Jul 12, 2007
Iowa
✟9,888.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I left it out because I am not sure if I am allowed to comment it on this forum. But if you post your statement on the Origins Theology forum I'll gladly answer.

Sorry, I am not debating. I posted here to make a comment regarding the uselessness of trying to prove anything to someone who does not accept the clear words of Scripture.

Upvote 0

LutheranChick

Jul 12, 2007
Iowa
✟9,888.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sorry, I am not debating. I posted here to make a comment regarding the uselessness of trying to prove anything to someone who does not accept the clear words of Scripture.

Just to clarify, I didn't mean to imply that it is a waste of time to show evidence of the Flood, or Creation, or any other debated Biblical occurrence. I believe it is very important to do so- I just meant that it's doubtful it will change anyone's mind soley on the basis of evidence. Only the Word of God can change hearts.

Upvote 0

cleminson

Feb 22, 2008
✟15,316.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
[BIBLE][/BIBLE]
The literal translation is:

In the day (Yom) that you eat, dying you shall die.

"Yom" is usually a day (24 hours), but can also mean "the time" or "the moment". In Genesis, "Yom" is the time of each creation day. "Dying" is used as an intensification, that's why it's translated with "surely".

As to the argument "God does not lie": this is a difficult question. At the time God said this to Adam, I think He meant it. He probably just noticed later that He could not kill Adam at this point because Adam had no descendants yet. So, in a strict sense of the word, it was not a real lie. Only the events later made it a lie.

You can also say that it was not a real lie because Adam's dying began that day, it just ended some 900 years later when he really died. However with this interpretation you're already a little away from what God literally said.

The "spiritual death" interpretation makes no sense at all to me. With such interpretations you can remove the meaning from anything by just calling it "spiritual" and not "real". When God said something, He usually meant it as he said it. Either you take the Bible literal or you don't, but if you take it literal, you need to accept also the parts that you don't like.

Clear Sky, I agree with your translation of Yom but why are you so against Adam being a part spiritual being, in a part spiritual Eden? If Eden was a physical place, it would still exist on our Planet. Of course Eden was a real place, as real as Paradise or Heaven, it still exists and is the home of the saints who have gone ahead. It is both your and my destination, when we finally leave this physical body.

Adam died the moment he ate the fruit of the KoGaE. as God said he would Genesis 2;17, "but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die." God then put him onto our physical and imperfect Earth.

I believe that YE as well as some OE creationists need to take a "literal" look at the Genesis scriptures again and stop trying to make them alegorical. Is it possible that those scriptures allow for an old Earth? I believe it does and i also believe that I prove it in my Paper My Genesis Enigma. I believe it is possible to be a fundementalist OE creationist and to read and understand the Genesis scriptures as being literally true. I also believe that it is possible for creationists to believe in a God managed evolution, with the joy of seeing his glorious creation as being a 4.5 billion year canvas.

Upvote 0
B

Bsman

I think the battle is not one of young earth vs. old earth, or billions of years vs. six days, or creation vs. evolution—the real battle is the authority of the Word of God vs. man’s fallible opinions
The real issue is one of authority—is God’s Word the authority, or is man’s word the authority? So, couldn’t God have used evolution to create? The answer is No. A belief in millions of years of evolution not only contradicts the clear teaching of Genesis and the rest of Scripture but also impugns the character of God. He told us in the book of Genesis that He created the whole universe and everything in it in six days by His word: “Then God said ... .” His Word is the evidence of how and when God created, and His Word is incredibly clear.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
"Why is it that many people, including many Christians, can’t see the geologic evidence for the Genesis Flood? It is usually because they have bought into the evolutionary idea that “the present is the key to the past.” They are convinced that, because today’s geological processes are so slow, the rock strata and the earth’s rock layers took millions of years to form."

Geologic Evidences for the Genesis Flood

Evidence #1—Fossils of sea creatures high above sea level due to the ocean waters having flooded over the continents.

Evidence #2—Rapid burial of plants and animals.

Evidence #3—Rapidly deposited sediment layers spread across vast areas.

Evidence #4—Sediment transported long distances.

Evidence #5—Rapid or no erosion between strata.

Evidence #6—Many strata laid down in rapid succession.
Evidence #7: The presence of current ocean on earth.

Upvote 0

anonlulz

May 26, 2008
✟15,138.00
Faith
Atheist
"Why is it that many people, including many Christians, can’t see the geologic evidence for the Genesis Flood? It is usually because they have bought into the evolutionary idea that “the present is the key to the past.” They are convinced that, because today’s geological processes are so slow, the rock strata and the earth’s rock layers took millions of years to form."

Evidence #1—Fossils of sea creatures high above sea level due to the ocean waters having flooded over the continents.

The ocean levels rise and fall with the melting and freezing of the polar ice caps, and because they're are multiple dates for many of the animals found above sea level, we have to assume they're have been multiple changes in sea level over the course of our 4.8 billion year history.

Evidence #2—Rapid burial of plants and animals.

there have been thousands of floods even in the history of humans, of course they're have been probably millions of the course of the earth's billions of years in existence.

Evidence #3—Rapidly deposited sediment layers spread across vast areas.

"For example, the Tapeats Sandstone and Redwall Limestone of Grand Canyon can be traced across the entire United States, up into Canada, and even across the Atlantic Ocean to England."

If I may point out, thats COMPLETELY FALSE. How can you just assume statements like this are true. Look at the bottom of the ocean, see any sandstone? oh wait, there always new rock being formed in the mdidle of the atlantics, evidence invalid.

Evidence #4—Sediment transported long distances.

although most of that was false, it could probably even be explained by glacial movement.

Evidence #5—Rapid or no erosion between strata.

floods happen all the time

Evidence #6—Many strata laid down in rapid succession.

"Rocks do not normally bend; they break because they are hard and brittle."

have you taken even basic geology? rocks bend ALL THE TIME. Pate tectonics, look it up, two plates hit, BAM, rocks fold no problem. and thats only one of many observable possiblities.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
have you taken even basic geology? rocks bend ALL THE TIME. Pate tectonics, look it up, two plates hit, BAM, rocks fold no problem. and thats only one of many observable possiblities.

Why don't you try to answer evidence #7 (one post before yours) I added on? I assume you know where the current ocean water sits.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

busterdog

Senior Veteran
Jun 20, 2006
Visit site
✟19,429.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
G
My question is- do they really have faith? If they have thrown out that part of the Bible, or 'reinterpreted' it, then it's not much of a stretch to continue throwing out (or reinterpreting) everything else that does not 'make sense'. (Like the fact that Jesus died on the cross for our sins and rose again- a vital belief for salvation). I believe these people are in serious danger of losing what faith they do have.

Where's the rep button?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.