Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I see that you do not understand the nature of evidence. Would you like to discuss this topic?
Not really. You have one point of view and you will not depart from it no matter what I say. So discussing it would be just a useless waste of time for me.

Upvote 0

Lazarus Long

Feb 1, 2020
Melbourne
✟4,883.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So, what is it about my comment about oblivion that makes you think I have a fear of death?
The entire paragraph screams it. If you don't believe that the fairy tale is absolutely true you will never go to heaven when you die. So you force yourself to pretend belief, nobody with a functioning brain could believe that unless their fear of death is such that they deliberately lie to themselves.

Upvote 0

Lazarus Long

Feb 1, 2020
Melbourne
✟4,883.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I don't have to prove anything. God doesn't have to prove the truth of His Word either. He said it, and leaves you to either believe or not believe it.
BTW who recorded the alleged conversations as reported in the GoE?

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The entire paragraph screams it. If you don't believe that the fairy tale is absolutely true you will never go to heaven when you die. So you force yourself to pretend belief, nobody with a functioning brain could believe that unless their fear of death is such that they deliberately lie to themselves.
What is it about the whole paragraph screaming it that makes you think I have a fear of death?

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
It's the creation institute, by definition dishonest.
I agree with you that you believe that the creation institute is by definition dishonest.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
BTW who recorded the alleged conversations as reported in the GoE?
i agree with you that you would like to know who reported the alleged conversations as reported in the GoE. By the way, what is the GoE?

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I don't have to prove anything. God doesn't have to prove the truth of His Word either. He said it, and leaves you to either believe or not believe it.
If one makes a positive assertion one takes on a burden of proof. If all one can do is to make nonsensical claims then one only earns laughter.

Where does God even make the mistake of claiming that the Bible is his word? You do not seem to know who wrote that book. At best you can only misinterpret verses taken out of context that do jot support your claims.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I give up. If you believe it is dishonest, then it is dishonest for you.
I do not believe. I know. There is a difference. That group was shown to be dishonest countless times in their own articles. To even work there one must swear not to use the scientific method. As a result they have zero credibility.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Not really. You have one point of view and you will not depart from it no matter what I say. So discussing it would be just a useless waste of time for me.
Please, you at best have no idea of what you are talking about. I follow the evidence. You don't. You do not even understand the concept of evidence. I offered to discuss that concept so that you could debate properly. Until you understand the concept we do not even need to discuss evolution.

• Agree
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,989.00
Faith
Atheist
The problem is that there is no substantive evidence for evolution.
But it's not a problem that there is no substantive evidence for God?

Even if you ignore the multiple independent lines of evidence supporting evolution, it is based on a simple logical principle, consistent with known physical laws, and is demonstrably effective (if not efficient) in producing novel functionality.

God, on the other hand, is an ill-defined, ad-hoc, undemonstrable entity, supposedly beyond physical law, whose agency can be used as the answer to any question - and it's worth noting that a universal explanation is no explanation at all - an explanation must have some specificity and provide some understanding of the phenomenon to be explained, and especially not consist entirely of unanswerable questions itself.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to see which is the testable scientific hypothesis and which is wishful thinking.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,989.00
Faith
Atheist
Actually, those who are working so hard at preserving endangered species of animals and bird are denying evolution, because they are working against natural selection in which it is the survival of the fittest. If a species is unable to survive in the natural, then isn't that how evolution works?
They're not denying evolution, they're acknowledging that the process of evolution has produced wonderful creatures that we'd hate to lose, but also that it has produced complex webs of interdependent organisms (ecosystems) that we're also loath to lose, partly because their multi-billion year development is a wonder we can't replicate, and partly because, being part of the world, we are dependent on them in subtle ways for what we eat and breathe, and if we mess up the systems that support those resources, we're likely to become as extinct as the other 99.9% of creatures that ever lived sooner than we'd like.

Having said that, there are serious questions about which creatures we should try to preserve, whether we should attempt to preserve creatures whose habitat is terminally degraded, and so-on.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,989.00
Faith
Atheist
What is it about the whole paragraph screaming it that makes you think I have a fear of death?
It's probably just the fact that you chose to focus on the 'absolute oblivion' you associate with lack of belief rather than the boundless positives associated with belief. It's the way you tell'em ;)

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Why is dishonesty so prevalent in believers?

I would only say some believers. The problem with debating evolution is that one not debate against it honestly for very long. One either has to lie or manage to keep oneself willfully ignorant, neither of which are honest ways to debate.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
If one makes a positive assertion one takes on a burden of proof. If all one can do is to make nonsensical claims then one only earns laughter.

Where does God even make the mistake of claiming that the Bible is his word? You do not seem to know who wrote that book. At best you can only misinterpret verses taken out of context that do jot support your claims.
I agree that you feel like laughing at my assertions and I understand that you require proof.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I do not believe. I know. There is a difference. That group was shown to be dishonest countless times in their own articles. To even work there one must swear not to use the scientific method. As a result they have zero credibility.
I agree that you believe that Christians who write articles concerning their faith are dishonest and have zero credibility.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Again, you may work on mere belief. You should be asking how others know.
I agree that I should be asking how others know, in fact, I should make a whole lot of effort about it!!!

Upvote 0