✟11,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have a question about this issue.

What if, in your ancestry, there is an unknown parentage? Examples would be: closed adoption, promiscuity/sexual assault where the father is unknown, or infant abandonment ("Moses baby").

How do you pray to break those curses when you don't know the lineage?

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Where does it say in the bible that after repentance we would have those?

Psychologically speaking we can carry scars from our upbringing and God can bring those to our attention and we can pray for healing, delivering from those scars which are still affecting us but I haven't read anything which says to me that generational curses are still biblical. God says in Ezekiel 18:19-20 that he wouldn't put the sins of the father on the son.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

What if, in your ancestry, there is an unknown parentage? Examples would be: closed adoption, promiscuity/sexual assault where the father is unknown, or infant abandonment ("Moses baby").

Eze 18 & 33 did away with those.

Ezekiel 18 Good News Translation (GNT)
Individual Responsibility
18 The Lord spoke to me 2 and said, “What is this proverb people keep repeating in the land of Israel?

‘The parents ate the sour grapes,
But the children got the sour taste.’

3 “As surely as I am the living God,” says the Sovereign Lord, “you will not repeat this proverb in Israel any more. 4 The life of every person belongs to me, the life of the parent as well as that of the child. The person who sins is the one who will die.

5 “Suppose there is a truly good man, righteous and honest. 6 He doesn't worship the idols of the Israelites or eat the sacrifices offered at forbidden shrines. He doesn't seduce another man's wife or have intercourse with a woman during her period. 7 He doesn't cheat or rob anyone. He returns what a borrower gives him as security; he feeds the hungry and gives clothing to the naked. 8 He doesn't lend money for profit. He refuses to do evil and gives an honest decision in any dispute. 9 Such a man obeys my commands and carefully keeps my laws. He is righteous, and he will live,” says the Sovereign Lord.

10 “Then suppose this man has a son who robs and kills, who does any[a] of these things 11 that the father never did. He eats sacrifices offered at forbidden shrines and seduces other men's wives. 12 He cheats the poor, he robs, he keeps what a borrower gives him as security. He goes to pagan shrines, worships disgusting idols, 13 and lends money for profit. Will he live? No, he will not. He has done all these disgusting things, and so he will die. He will be to blame for his own death.

14 “Now suppose this second man has a son. He sees all the sins his father practiced, but does not follow his example. 15 He doesn't worship the idols of the Israelites or eat the sacrifices offered at forbidden shrines. He doesn't seduce another man's wife 16 or oppress anyone or rob anyone. He returns what a borrower gives him as security. He feeds the hungry and gives clothing to the naked. 17 He refuses to do evil and doesn't lend money for profit. He keeps my laws and obeys my commands. He will not die because of his father's sins, but he will certainly live. 18 His father, on the other hand, cheated and robbed[c] and always did evil to everyone. And so he died because of the sins he himself had committed.

19 “But you ask, ‘Why shouldn't the son suffer because of his father's sins?’ The answer is that the son did what was right and good. He kept my laws and followed them carefully, and so he will certainly live. 20 It is the one who sins who will die. A son is not to suffer because of his father's sins, nor a father because of the sins of his son. Good people will be rewarded for doing good, and evil people will suffer for the evil they do.

21 “If someone evil stops sinning and keeps my laws, if he does what is right and good, he will not die; he will certainly live. 22 All his sins will be forgiven, and he will live, because he did what is right. 23 Do you think I enjoy seeing evil people die?” asks the Sovereign Lord. “No, I would rather see them repent and live.

24 “But if a righteous person stops doing good and starts doing all the evil, disgusting things that evil people do, will he go on living? No! None of the good he did will be remembered. He will die because of his unfaithfulness and his sins.

25 “But you say, ‘What the Lord does isn't right.’ Listen to me, you Israelites. Do you think my way of doing things isn't right? It is your way that isn't right. 26 When a righteous person stops doing good and starts doing evil and then dies, he dies because of the evil he has done. 27 When someone evil stops sinning and does what is right and good, he saves his life. 28 He realizes what he is doing and stops sinning, so he will certainly not die, but go on living. 29 And you Israelites say, ‘What the Lord does isn't right.’ You think my way isn't right, do you? It is your way that isn't right.

30 “Now I, the Sovereign Lord, am telling you Israelites that I will judge each of you by what you have done. Turn away from all the evil you are doing, and don't let your sin destroy you. 31 Give up all the evil you have been doing, and get yourselves new minds and hearts. Why do you Israelites want to die? 32 I do not want anyone to die,” says the Sovereign Lord. “Turn away from your sins and live.”

Upvote 0

quidam65

Mar 19, 2018
DFW
✟11,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I thank everyone for the responses.

However, I was seeking a response from someone who DOES believe these exist (I would have clarified that up front, but since this is the Spirit Filled / Charismatic board, I didn't think I would get responses in opposition, as this is a major teaching in that branch of Christianity).

• Prayers
Reactions: Serving Zion
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
this is a major teaching in that branch of Christianity
I am not sure this is major for all Charismatic people. But on TV it can be made to look like a TV person speaks for many or all others. You don't even know what the audience people really think. Being present at a meeting does not automatically mean they buy into everything the speaker claims.

I personally believe in the Holy Spirit doing whatsoever He pleases, and we are not God's counselor to dictate what He will do or not do.

About generational curses > I understand that ones believe that Christians can have curses from their family past. And ones who say this, I understand from what I have heard, will tell you you need to identify the curse and with help of a prayer minister you can speak to it and the demon causing it and make it go away . . . something like this. Ones say you need someone with a deliverance ministry who can help you with this. But then you can maintain your freedom by speaking to Satan and his curse any time he tries to use it to mess with you and your circumstances

So . . .
My opinion is that what you need is to know the curse, which you do. So, you know the curse and possibly that it is a demon who is enforcing it; and so this is enough. You can pray against however the devil is messing with you.

But > if we are in Jesus, "old things have passed away; behold all things have become new." (in 2 Corinthians 5:17)

And Jesus on the cross has made the big interception, of all curses which even God Himself might have had against us.

Now, if God's curses have so much more authority than those of Satan, and if Jesus has put an end to God's curses, then how would Satan have any say about things?

But Satan can be allowed to try to bring against you things which he started in your life while you were a sinner. But you can refuse to allow him to effect you, mainly in your character and emotions. However, Satan is allowed to do things against us in our circumstances.

You might consider 2 Corinthians 12:4-15, how that "thorn in the flesh" "messenger of Satan" was allowed to buffet Paul. But, I personally understand, as well as Paul submitted to God's almighty grace in himself, that messenger could not mess with Paul, inside himself, plus Paul took "pleasure" in any trouble the demon might cause in circumstances or by "infirmities".

As it is written,

"And who is he who will harm you if you become followers of what is good?" (1 Peter 3:13)

So, Paul in grace would not let Satanic messing get to him. So, the main issue, I consider, is whether or not you allow things to get the better of you. But, like I say, Satan can be allowed to test us by being allowed to bring up things of our past.

Is speaking and praying against this enough?

James 4:7 says >

"Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you." (James 4:7)

It is not enough, then, to try to use words only to get Satan to submit to us. We need to always be seeking the LORD and His correction for our own selves > Hebrews 12:4-11 < not to only try to make Satan stay in line!! And keep submissive to God, so that when Satan is allowed to test us, we simply do what God has us doing at that time.

But God does use others to help us; so pray and obey how God provides people to bless you and help you :) And now that you have shared with us, you have us praying for you :) God bless you ever more :) through Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior and soon-coming Groom :)

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Where does it say in the bible that after repentance we would have those?

Psychologically speaking we can carry scars from our upbringing and God can bring those to our attention and we can pray for healing, delivering from those scars which are still affecting us but I haven't read anything which says to me that generational curses are still biblical. God says in Ezekiel 18:19-20 that he wouldn't put the sins of the father on the son.

yes the question should not be HOW, the question should be .. Are you born again because Christ became the curse and was nailed to the cross and any one in him who then obeys him and gets baptized is raised up a NEW creation and ALL the power of the past enemy is broken and washed away .. (not exodus .. they saw the DEAD of their enemy laying on the shore ) the doctrines of generational curses is one of many very shady teachings and really has no SOLID sound foundation in scripture . plus the apostles never mention it in any advice to the congregations. BUT as @SAM91 has alluded to there IS "renewing of the mind" in scriptures .plus there is repentance in scripture -people should spend more time on these things and less time looking for short cuts

• Agree
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Its sad how people dismiss so much spiritual stuff by clever use of theology.
Its rather like the people who "scientifically" opposed the first locomotives, claiming that people would suffocate if they travelled at more than thirty miles per hour. Thankfully, more practically minded people went ahead and built the railways.

There is a saying which applies here,-
“A man who has an argument is always at the mercy of a man who has an experience”

And there are plenty of people whose experience of generational curses prove their existence.

Having delivered many people, including my family, from the powers of generational curses, I know they exist.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Its rather like the people who "scientifically" opposed the first locomotives, claiming that people would suffocate if they travelled at more than thirty miles per hour. Thankfully, more practically minded people went ahead and built the railways.

“A man who has an argument is always at the mercy of a man who has an experience”

And there are plenty of people whose experience of generational curses prove their existence.

Having delivered many people, including my family, from the powers of generational curses, I know they exist.
I wouldn't call it clever use of theology. I would call it reading the Bible and querying things which don't fit in with God's word. I do not use clever theology. I only read it and understand as much as the Lord unveils. Nor would I presume to say that I am wise.

I asked for a biblical explanation of what he meant. Because as far as I am concerned a redeemed child of God is sealed with the Holy Spirit and has God dwelling in them. They are dressed in His armour and protected by His angels.

Psalm 91

If you say, “The Lord is my refuge,”
and you make the Most High your dwelling,
10 no harm will overtake you,
no disaster will come near your tent.
11 For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways;
12 they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
13 You will tread on the lion and the cobra;
you will trample the great lion and the serpent.

14 “Because he loves me,” says theLord, “I will rescue him;
I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
15 He will call on me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble,
I will deliver him and honour him
16 With long life style I will satisfy him
and show him my salvation.

Nowhere does it say, as far as I am concerned, that he will undo a 'generational curse'. However, I would like to know where this idea came from. I only see a hint in Deuteronomy (I think) and that does not tie into the modern day ideas people flaunt. I have a friend who believes this stuff but there is no point asking her. She utters the most outlandish blasphemies because of things she has heard in audiobooks and seen on you tube. It is wiser to pray and correct the more serious things.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doctor.Sphinx
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Assembly of God Position:

"The idea of a generational curse has captured the thinking of many Christians because it sounds so reasonable. Without doubt, parents have an influence on their children through inherited traits and parental teaching and example. But God holds individuals responsible for their choices and sins, not the sins of ancestors."https://ag.org/Beliefs/Topics-Index/Generational-Curse

‘Generational curses’ is not a Christian teaching. It is an ancient grift that predates the Bible.http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slackt...-is-an-ancient-grift-that-predates-the-bible/

• Agree
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

unless they have repented to the lord Jesus , been baptized into him and are consistently living in every increasing obedience after receiving the holy Spirit .. they are not delivered of anything at all .

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I wouldn't call it clever use of theology. I would call it reading the Bible and querying things which don't fit in with God's word. I do not use clever theology. I only read it and understand as much as the Lord unveils. Nor would I presume to say that I am wise.

I asked for a biblical explanation of what he meant. Because as far as I am concerned a redeemed child of God is sealed with the Holy Spirit and has God dwelling in them. They are dressed in His armour and protected by His angels.
If as you claim, every redeemed child of God is already dressed in God's armour, why does Paul instruct them to put it on. -
Eph6v11Put on the complete armor of God, for you to be able to stand against the schemes of the devil, 12because to us the wrestling is not against blood and flesh, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.....etc.

Clearly, the spiritual armour of God is available to all believers, but putting it on is a free choice that few make use of. Such ignorance, apathy, or laziness, invariably opens the door to demonic attack and defeat.
The place where most Christians dwell.
Psalm 91
If you say, “The Lord is my refuge,”
and you make the Most High your dwelling,
10 no harm will overtake you,
no disaster will come near your tent.
11 For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways;
12 they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
13 You will tread on the lion and the cobra;
you will trample the great lion and the serpent.

14 “Because he loves me,” says theLord, “I will rescue him;
I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
15 He will call on me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble,
I will deliver him and honour him
16 With long life style I will satisfy him
and show him my salvation.
Well done for quoting Psalms, still very applicable today. However a quick read through the OT will reveal that even when there was a Godly king on the throne, just like Christians today, the Jews were not immunised from attack. They too had to actively put on the whole armour of God and faithfully fight for their freedom.
The advantage they had is that their enemies were visible, whereas our enemies are invisible, leading people to be ignorant of their presence and tactics.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yh but the Lord will deliver and protect us.

James 4:7 Says submit to the Lord, resist the devil and he will flee

Ephesians mentions in chapter 4 about not letting the sun go down in anger and not giving the devil a foothold.

Romans 8:38 says that nothing can separate us from the love of God, no demons, no principalities, powers.

I take these as an assurance that while walking in His spirit, in His light we can be confident that we have nothing to fear. He will look after us. He has redeemed us and we are His.

In my opinion if there were these generational curses more would be said in the bible. I am bowing out of this conversation because I don't like to think on these things. Preferring instead do as philippians 4:8 suggests and proverbs 3:5-6

I'll wear God's armour and trust in Him to do His will in and with me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Nowhere does it say, as far as I am concerned, that he will undo a 'generational curse'. However, I would like to know where this idea came from. I only see a hint in Deuteronomy (I think) and that does not tie into the modern day ideas people flaunt. I have a friend who believes this stuff but there is no point asking her. She utters the most outlandish blasphemies because of things she has heard in audiobooks and seen on you tube. It is wiser to pray and correct the more serious things.
I think "blasphemies" is a bit of a strong accusation against someone who holds a different perspective to you.

I think your mistake is in imagining that generational cursing is some major doctrinal theory, when its just a shorthand common sense explanation for what's happening in the spiritual realm.

It simply means that Satan uses any issue from our historic past to gain access and control in our lives.
Without question, the blood of Jesus pays the price for all sin. However, for us to experience that freedom, whenever a falling short or sinful act is exposed, the blood needs to be applied, otherwise Satan can use it to advantage.
We see this in Rev12v10 And I heard a great voice in heaven, saying, Now is come the salvation, and the power, and the kingdom of our God, and the authority of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, who accuses them before our God day and night. 11And they overcame him because of the blood of the Lamb, and because of the word of their testimony; and they loved not their life even unto death.
The above scripture depicts a court room in the heavenly realm. The chief prosecutor is Satan, God is on the throne, and you are being charged with whatever crimes.
You should know that any claim of innocence or perfection is blown wide open by the utter failure of man's attempts at self perfection is shown Matthew 5. Failure by omission is likewise guilty.
So how do you plead?
John's words explain. We overcome by the blood of the lamb and by proclaiming it.
There is no Fifth amendment, the right to remain silent, in the heavenly court!
Unless we testify to the blood covenant, we will be found guilty and Satan will win.

That truth applies to accusations that have roots in our family history also, as the following example shows.
This occurred long before I ever heard about generational curses.

About 40 years ago, a friend and I were asked to pray for a Christian lady who was visiting our fellowship here in the UK. She didn't give a very clear description of what her problem was or where her need lay.
So we laid it before the Lord and asked for his wisdom. Shortly later, I heard the Lord give the following words, "The spirit of Mormon."
When I told the lady the word, she responded with indignation. She had never been involved with Mormonism, nor even visited their churches. That stumped me a little so I apologised and we stumbled on praying around various things that came to light.
About half an hour afterwards, she suddenly gasped and put her hand over her mouth.
She then related a conversation she had had with her mother when she was a child.
Apparently, in the mid 1800s, her great great great grandfather had gone out to Utah with Brigham Young in his great waggon train to build Salt Lake City for the Mormon Church!

No amount of mental gymnastics would have exposed that spiritual link travelling back over 130 years, had not the Holy Spirit revealed it.
Mormonism is a false doctrine, clearly inspired by demons. Her ancestor had subjected himself to that demon which influenced his spiritual life. That demonic power had travelled down the family line affecting subsequent generations until the day we prayed.
Needless to say, we cast the spirit of Mormonism out of her and set her free from it.
That is the blood of Christ at work.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
One more thing, we have an advantage over the Jews back then. Well more than one.

Jesus said 'It is finished.' He has won the victory. We are free. The Lord is tabernacling with us. We have Him inside us. He in us, us in Him. John 14 and John 15 Hallelujah!

Jeremiah 31:33

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think "blasphemies" is a bit of a strong accusation against someone who holds a different perspective to you.

I think your mistake is in imagining that generational cursing is some major doctrinal theory, when its just a shorthand common sense explanation for what's happening in the spiritual realm.

It simply means that Satan uses any issue from our historic past to gain access and control in our lives.
Without question, the blood of Jesus pays the price for all sin. However, for us to experience that freedom, whenever a falling short or sinful act is exposed, the blood needs to be applied, otherwise Satan can use it to advantage.
We see this in Rev12v10 And I heard a great voice in heaven, saying, Now is come the salvation, and the power, and the kingdom of our God, and the authority of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, who accuses them before our God day and night. 11And they overcame him because of the blood of the Lamb, and because of the word of their testimony; and they loved not their life even unto death.
The above scripture depicts a court room in the heavenly realm. The chief prosecutor is Satan, God is on the throne, and you are being charged with whatever crimes.
You should know that any claim of innocence or perfection is blown wide open by the utter failure of man's attempts at self perfection is shown Matthew 5. Failure by omission is likewise guilty.
So how do you plead?
John's words explain. We overcome by the blood of the lamb and by proclaiming it.
There is no Fifth amendment, the right to remain silent, in the heavenly court!
Unless we testify to the blood covenant, we will be found guilty and Satan will win.

That truth applies to accusations that have roots in our family history also, as the following example shows.
This occurred long before I ever heard about generational curses.

About 40 years ago, a friend and I were asked to pray for a Christian lady who was visiting our fellowship here in the UK. She didn't give a very clear description of what her problem was or where her need lay.
So we laid it before the Lord and asked for his wisdom. Shortly later, I heard the Lord give the following words, "The spirit of Mormon."
When I told the lady the word, she responded with indignation. She had never been involved with Mormonism, nor even visited their churches. That stumped me a little so I apologised and we stumbled on praying around various things that came to light.
About half an hour afterwards, she suddenly gasped and put her hand over her mouth.
She then related a conversation she had had with her mother when she was a child.
Apparently, in the mid 1800s, her great great great grandfather had gone out to Utah with Brigham Young in his great waggon train to build Salt Lake City for the Mormon Church!

No amount of mental gymnastics would have exposed that spiritual link travelling back over 130 years, had not the Holy Spirit revealed it.
Mormonism is a false doctrine, clearly inspired by demons. Her ancestor had subjected himself to that demon which influenced his spiritual life. That demonic power had travelled down the family line affecting subsequent generations until the day we prayed.
Needless to say, we cast the spirit of Mormonism out of her and set her free from it.
That is the blood of Christ at work.
I can't type the things she has said about Jesus not realising what she was saying. Well she realises, but not the fact that she can not accuse him of various sins. So please don't judge what I mean. If I can not say or even type it, it must be blasphemy. It isn't about differing views at all. I can type differing views.

Romans 8:1
Your experience is interesting but I can not give an opinion one way or another on it. Thank you for sharing it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Yh but the Lord will deliver and protect us.

James 4:7 Says submit to the Lord, resist the devil and he will flee
If deliverance and protection was automatic just because we are Christians, there would be no need to resist the devil.
Ephesians mentions in chapter 4 about not letting the sun go down in anger and not giving the devil a foothold.
If Paul warns us not to give the devil a foothold, then it should be obvious that the devil can and does get footholds in Christian lives.
Romans 8:38 says that nothing can separate us from the love of God, no demons, no principalities, powers.
This verse talks about the love of God, it says nothing of what the devil can or can't do. As David said, "Yea though I make my bed in hell, thou art there!" ie.being in hell wouldn't separate him from the love of God.
I take these as an assurance that while walking in His spirit, in His light we can be confident that we have nothing to fear. He will look after us. He has redeemed us and we are His.
As you said, while walking in His Spirit. The trouble is that most Christians just walk in knowledge, and Satan's knowledge is more subtle.
That's why much of the church exhibits just as much problems, anxieties, sicknesses, and financial woes as non believers do.
In my opinion if there were these generational curses more would be said in the bible.
The OT is obviously full of examples of generational curses coming to fruition, the fact that they don't bear that name makes no difference. The word "curse" simply refers to suffering or affliction, so every time you read of someone suffering because of an event in their ancestral line, that's the outworking of a generational curse.
I am bowing out of this conversation because I don't like to think on these things. Preferring instead do as philippians 4:8 suggests and proverbs 3:5-6
That's fine, but burying your head in the sand won't stop generational curses outworking!

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If deliverance and protection was automatic just because we are Christians, there would be no need to resist the devil.

If Paul warns us not to give the devil a foothold, then it should be obvious that the devil can and does get footholds in Christian lives.

This verse talks about the love of God, it says nothing of what the devil can or can't do. As David said, "Yea though I make my bed in hell, thou art there!" ie.being in hell wouldn't separate him from the love of God.

As you said, while walking in His Spirit. The trouble is that most Christians just walk in knowledge, and Satan's knowledge is more subtle.
That's why much of the church exhibits just as much problems, anxieties, sicknesses, and financial woes as non believers do.

The OT is obviously full of examples of generational curses coming to fruition, the fact that they don't bear that name makes no difference. The word "curse" simply refers to suffering or affliction, so every time you read of someone suffering because of an event in their ancestral line, that's the outworking of a generational curse.

That's fine, but burying your head in the sand won't stop generational curses outworking!
What about John 8:36 ?

Any freeing of demons was prior to repentance in all instances that I know of in the Bible. Is there a case where someone after becoming a new creation in Christ, after being indwelt with the Holy Spirit that somebody needed further deliverance?

Are we even allowed to discuss this here? Is the picking apart my replies classed as debating? I'm unsure of the difference and wouldn't like to break any rules.

https://www.openbible.info/topics/curse

However, in obedience to the Lord there is no room to fear.

Those verses about the devil getting a foothold, being a prowling lion, fleeing when resisted are not something to be concerned about when in Christ and living the way He tells us too. The way to give the devil a foothold is to be living with sin in our hearts. But when standing firm in Christ, depending on Him, obeying Him there is nothing to fear. To fear, (other than the reverential fear of our Awesome God) is infact, a lack of faith. An unbelief in the promises of God. We can not fight the spiritual battle with our hands and feet, or with earthly weapons. God protects us and does the work. Our job is to keep our eyes on the prize. Philippians 3:12-14. Hebrews 12:1-3

Thinking back to when Peter walked on water. When he looked around at his circumstance and feared was when he sank.

To fear a 'generational curse' could be classed as giving the devil a foothold. It is unnecessary fear and taking the eyes off the Lord. It is a weakness in someone's shield of faith, (since we used the armour as an example before).

So it isn't a matter of being complacent. It is a matter of me believing the words of the Lord Jesus, believing Paul in the epistles and standing firm, trusting in God. Repenting when having sinned and walking in His light (I fail often), looking to Him in everything. There is nothing to fear or the Bible wouldn't tell us not to. I mean even death has lost its sting and eternal life will be an undeserved reward when all is through.

We are so blessed by the Lord our God.

I so have to share this song!! :) :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0