Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes, I know that this has been already suggested. I think it should be suggested again.

The famous 'five solas' unites all Protestant traditions, and I think this is what should single out that forum from the others. Simply categorizing us as Non-Denomination is not enough, since many other faith traditions that take exceptions to the five solas can discuss as Non-Denominational.

• Agree
Reactions: Ttalkkugjil

Barney2.0

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well many Protestant Churches and sects have varying doctrines that don’t always agree with each other, so I don’t think that they could be united or mashed together in a single forum.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think all Protestants would agree on Sola Scriptura.
I don't think they would even agree on a definition of "sola scriptura."

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat

That's true. Does it imply a regulative principle, for instance? That's something that divides many Protestants.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's true. Does it imply a regulative principle, for instance? That's something that divides many Protestants.
Some people's definition may include that.

Upvote 0

Barney2.0

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
To be honest Protestantism isn’t a single sect or organization like say Catholicism or Eastern or Oriental Orthodoxy is. It’s an umbrella term for many different Churches who split from the Catholic Church in the so called “reformation” under the so called “reformers.” So I don’t think we can even use Protestantism to refer to a specific branch of Christianity anymore, as it seems to confuse many people.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
To be honest Protestantism isn’t a single sect or organization like say Catholicism or Eastern or Oriental Orthodoxy is. It’s an umbrella term for many different Churches who split from the Catholic Church in the so called “reformation” under the so called “reformers.” So I don’t think we can even use Protestantism to refer to a specific branch of Christianity anymore, as it seems to confuse many people.

Yeah, I had a discussion the other day with a non-denominational guy that basically denied everything early Protestants stood for. And all I asked him was "Then why aren't you Catholic if you thought Erasmus had the better arguments than Luther?"

I'm Lutheran. My religion isn't like the typical evangelical's religion in the US. We are a sacramental religion. I see no purpose in a "Protestant" forum.

Reactions: MariaJLM
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In discussions about church unity, catholics like to lump all protestants together into one church, saying the protestant church is divided.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
In discussions about church unity, catholics like to lump all protestants together into one church, saying the protestant church is divided.

Actually, they tend to do the opposite, they point out the divisions among Protestants.

• Agree
Reactions: Barney2.0
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I know that this has been already suggested. I think it should be suggested again.

The famous 'five solas' unites all Protestant traditions, and I think this is what should single out that forum from the others. Simply categorizing us as Non-Denomination is not enough, since many other faith traditions that take exceptions to the five solas can discuss as Non-Denominational.
The problem, IMO, is non-denominational, the term. It is a catch-all term and a popular catch-all category on CF that does not tell a reader much of anything. This works to the disadvantage of people who actually are members of independent, unaffiliated, congregations--which is what the word used to signal.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Could be somewhat cumbersome to do that, but it would be more accurate. Oddly enough, Roman Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, and some others are not lumped together as "Catholic," yet the same logic that causes "Protestant" to be used as it is today holds true for them, too.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can see a need for it, but can also see how the sheer diversity of Protestant thought and praxis would turn it into essentially an arena for debate, and less fellowship. One could try. That's true. But it may not work.

This is why we have separate subforums for Mennonites, Baptists, Reformed Theology, Lutherans (two, actually), and Anglicans.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There may be some gray areas involved, but no moreso than what their opposite number means to Catholics both East and West. Faith plus Good Works, for example. Or the meaning of "Tradition." We stipulate that all these points, or the counterpoints, define one side or the other, but there is still some imprecision.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I can see a need for it, but can also see how the sheer diversity of Protestant thought and praxis would turn it into essentially an arena for debate, and less fellowship. One could try. That's true. But it may not work.
I think you are right about that. While I can see that people who are members of non-denominational congregations seem effectively sidelined, what would be the common factor that recommends giving them their own forum?--"We don't answer to any higher ecclesiastical authority?"

That's the only guaranteed characteristic of any congregation that calls itself "non-denominational."

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat

This is why we have separate subforums for Mennonites, Baptists, Reformed Theology, Lutherans (two, actually), and Anglicans.

The two Lutheran forums have more to do with disagreements over modernism. Sort of like Salt of the Earth vs. the Lord's Table.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think you are right about that. While I can see that people who are members of non-denominational congregations seem effectively sidelined, what would be the common factor that recommends giving them their own forum?--"We don't answer to any higher ecclesiastical authority?"

That's the only guaranteed characteristic of any congregation that calls itself "non-denominational."
I agree. And I'm not saying "don't try it", because frankly, with Catholic, EO, and OO Christians getting their own safe haven forums, I can see how some Protestants might see that and want the same. But Protestantism is huge. It's not one, two, or even three things. It's hundreds. If not thousands. It's big. And diverse.

What would unite folks? Sola Fide? Defined how? Sola Scriptura? What about Anglicans who invoke the Saints and pray the Rosary? I can't see that not causing difficulties. So.... hey, try it out. See how it goes. I get it. My husband's a Protestant. I can see how and why they might want their own space. Maybe give it a shot? Would this be a place for debate, too, or only fellowship? Because GT is pretty much already 85-90% Protestants debating stuff.

Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While I can see that people who are members of non-denominational congregations seem effectively sidelined, what would be the common factor that recommends giving them their own forum?
Non-denominational do have a forum. Four threads were posted there Monday.
Non-denominational

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0