General Convention to consider proposal to end Episcopal Church’s baptism requirement for Communion

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟962,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
@RickardoHolmes I am sorry for your experience. For what it's worth, I visited my now Episcopal Church with increasing regularity for 6 years before deciding to become confirmed. The first time I had a conversation with my Rector other than pumping his hand at the door on the way out of mass, was the day I walked into Confirmation Class. The irony is that he fashioned himself to be somewhat of an expert on church growth and new church starts, yet he made no effort to meet me in 6 years. You may make of that what you will. One of my take-away's from that experience was that being a part of this faith practice became more important to me than my experience with a priest. Priests come and go; the church remains.

Also, by the way, I was coming in from Methodism so I was required to be confirmed while the Catholics slid in by transfer (i.e., received). Never mind that the Church of England is the mother church of Methodism and John Wesley was an Anglican priest until the day he died. Sometimes it doesn't seem to make much sense, but it is the ways things are.

Upvote 0

Deegie

Priest of the Church
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2011
✟408,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
@RickardoHolmes, I am also very sorry for your experience. While I hate to hear stories like that, they are also good reminders for all of us about how we have fallen short and can do better.

I believe the membership "by transfer" thing was a reference to the fact that they likely wouldn't re-Confirm someone who came from the Roman Catholic or Lutheran tradition but would have them Received by the bishop instead. Note that in some dioceses, that is now the process for anyone who has made a mature commitment of faith, regardless of denomination.

But what was either communicated horribly or the priest was just flat-out wrong about is that membership in the local church and sacramentally becoming an Episcopalian are two separate things. Neither one requires the other. (Let's please leave aside the question of whether confirmation is a sacrament or not.)

I can tell you how it works in my parish for contrast. Anyone who submits a membership form with the required information becomes a member. If they were previously a member at another Episcopal church, then we have to go through an added step of getting a letter of transfer, but that's really just so the person isn't double-counted. While the form does ask about Confirmation, that's just for our records.

As for our mailing lists, we have several. The electronic one is open for anyone to sign up. Heck, there's a link on our public website to do so. Our paper mailing list (which we don't use very often at all, anymore) is basically the membership list plus anyone else who has submitted a pledge card. We've also added a few people who make somewhat regular financial contributions and attend sporadically but who don't want to submit a pledge card for some reason or become a member (so-called "contributors of record"). The printed directory then reflects that mailing list, plus a few parishioners who have moved away whom we keep on there for a few years to facilitate keeping in touch with them.

Membership in the Episcopal church was never intended to be a high and lofty thing. If you contribute to the life of a congregation through your presence, worship, and monetary gifts, we should love to have you as a member.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟962,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Anyone who submits a membership form with the required information becomes a member.

Things are so poorly defined in my parish. A membership form is unheard of here. I think it must go more like, "Yeah, I've seen him around several times. He is giving. Here is his email address. Put him on the member roles."

Upvote 0

RickardoHolmes

Aug 10, 2015
✟84,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks Again. Everyone.
I am going to be at the Episcopal church at Noon tomorrow for the mid-day Eucharist, which is usually a very small (under 10 people) gathering so I will at least feel inspired for the rest of the day.
Usually, everyone rushes in at a minute 'til, the priest comes out and leads a prayer, then there is a scripture reading or two, followed by a brief talk about a famous church leader or Saint (if recognized as such by the Episcopal church)... Communion, a Benediction, AND THEN EVERYONE BOLTS FOR THE DOOR LIKE THEY ARE TRYING TO BREAK THE SOUND BARRIER.
The Priest does not stick around either.
On the other hand, it is the only High Church in a 35 mile radius of where I live, so choices are limited. Every other church I have attended either has been a low church, or identifies on their website as a low church.

The only complaint I have is that I attend for INSPIRATION, not OBLIGATION. When the priest rushes through the service, and people rush out the door, it makes it seem like the overall focus is to race to the end What ever happened to sitting quietly and listening to that Still, Voice of God?

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm wondering if this is a group of people on their lunch break from work. There's no obligation in the Episcopal Church to attend Mass on weekdays at all, so the fact that people are there at all means that they've gone out of their way to be there. So possibly they're trying to squeeze noonday prayer in between work obligations.

It's unfortunate that they don't stick around to be friendly, though. Sorry about that.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,854.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Things are so poorly defined in my parish. A membership form is unheard of here. I think it must go more like, "Yeah, I've seen him around several times. He is giving. Here is his email address. Put him on the member roles."

Fun story; the parish I'm in now is the product of the amalgamation of two parishes, twenty-five years ago. When I got here, they had no formal membership roll. As far as I can tell, when the parishes amalgamated that task was just... overlooked? And nobody has bothered since! So last year I had to create a roll for the first time, which created no small amount of angst, as people who had been here forever suddenly realised that technically, they weren't members (although technically there were no members!)

What shocks me more from your post is the idea that people know who is giving financially. Here that information tends to be very closely guarded indeed.

• Informative
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

RickardoHolmes

Aug 10, 2015
✟84,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
SO Update I went to Eucharist on the first day of the season, Advent 1 The Priest encouraged all of us to be more involved so I decided to give in and go regularly for the year. And I have been, even in Lent which I have not done in decades.
I chose not to attend the annual meeting in Feb, but I did get a copy of the annual report. It listed budget items, amount of money pledged even broken down by how many pledges within each bracket. It also listed the names of everyone who has pledged, although not how much each of them pledged. Now I did not make a pledge, but I do give money and have been doing so each week when the plate is passed.

The paperwork from the meeting also listed statistics including no new members over the past year.
Now I did see on a flyer there that to become a "member" one had to go through confirmation class, which is not currently offered anyway.

All things considered, I am fine in my present capacity. Membership was something I wanted long ago, now not so much. I can still volunteer when asked, attend services and parties, contribute money and help out , be part of the services without needing formal membership.

Upvote 0

RickardoHolmes

Aug 10, 2015
✟84,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
UPDATE

I was there two weeks ago and when the Priest shook hands with me, he called me by my first name for the first time in...forever

Now I do not know if it has to do with the $$ I have donated or the fact that I am attending more regularly, or have found a few older intellectuals with which to schmooze after the service during coffee and snack time.

We did have a baptism (of an infant) during lent. The priest said that it was the first baptism in 2 years.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,854.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Attending more regularly does help with the name thing. It's so common for me to see a face I recognise, of someone who attends occasionally, but just be unable to bring a name back to mind (or worse, confuse them with someone else of a different name!)

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Attending more regularly does help with the name thing. It's so common for me to see a face I recognise, of someone who attends occasionally, but just be unable to bring a name back to mind (or worse, confuse them with someone else of a different name!)

Of late I have been having problems with remembering people’s name and face associations due to sleep deprivation due to a severe illness (the after effects of my hospitalization in January) so I can 100% relate that. The more I see someone, the less I have to say, to my extreme embarassment, “Forgive me, I remember you, but your name escapes me.”

• Agree
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RickardoHolmes

Aug 10, 2015
✟84,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That sounds frustrating and I hope that your physicians are able to do something to help with your situation.

In all honesty, I need to stop with judging others about the name situation. I am terrible with names, although I do remember people. FOr example, one of the older gentleman with whom I always chat during coffee hour is a professor of English Literature, so I always have some common interest to whch we can speak. LIkewise, I do not know the name of a few others but I always speak to them and remember their interests, where they live, what they enjoy, such as baseball. . I do however remember the name of the best looking choir member, for some reason......

Upvote 0

RickardoHolmes

Aug 10, 2015
✟84,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@RickardoHolmes, I am also very sorry for your experience. While I hate to hear stories like that, they are also good reminders for all of us about how we have fallen short and can do better.

I believe the membership "by transfer" thing was a reference to the fact that they likely wouldn't re-Confirm someone who came from the Roman Catholic or Lutheran tradition but would have them Received by the bishop instead. Note that in some dioceses, that is now the process for anyone who has made a mature commitment of faith, regardless of denomination.

But what was either communicated horribly or the priest was just flat-out wrong about is that membership in the local church and sacramentally becoming an Episcopalian are two separate things. Neither one requires the other. (Let's please leave aside the question of whether confirmation is a sacrament or not.)

I can tell you how it works in my parish for contrast. Anyone who submits a membership form with the required information becomes a member. If they were previously a member at another Episcopal church, then we have to go through an added step of getting a letter of transfer, but that's really just so the person isn't double-counted. While the form does ask about Confirmation, that's just for our records.

As for our mailing lists, we have several. The electronic one is open for anyone to sign up. Heck, there's a link on our public website to do so. Our paper mailing list (which we don't use very often at all, anymore) is basically the membership list plus anyone else who has submitted a pledge card. We've also added a few people who make somewhat regular financial contributions and attend sporadically but who don't want to submit a pledge card for some reason or become a member (so-called "contributors of record"). The printed directory then reflects that mailing list, plus a few parishioners who have moved away whom we keep on there for a few years to facilitate keeping in touch with them.

Membership in the Episcopal church was never intended to be a high and lofty thing. If you contribute to the life of a congregation through your presence, worship, and monetary gifts, we should love to have you as a member.

Thank You so m uch I apologice for the tardiness of my reply I agree with much of what you are saying.

I started with regular attendence as in almost weekly as permitted on ADVENT 1, the first day of the liturgical year. SInce that time, I have engaged in the very activities that would be needed, including decorating for CHristmas, paying for the latar flowers once a year (Which costs a lot now due to inflation but it is what it is ) I was placing cash in the offering plate, but my old lady pointed out that in her career as an auditor, cash tends to go missing at all levels, even churches, so she suggested a check. However, we now have this thing called TITHELY where I can transfer funds from my checking account to the church account and no time needed for a check to be processed or handled.

I did not make a pledge, but I did learn that the average pledge is about $100 a month, some less, some more. SO, I have been targeting that number. However, I often contribute to special programs and projects, like Easter Music, or the sock drive for the homeless, and that is not about what I do but I am hopeful that my contributions will help the wheels keep turning, so to speak.

I am unaware of any "mailing list" but I do know that the congreation updates their facebook page daily, with devotionals and scripture readings for the day. This is likely less expensive.

I have found too, that there are people there who are in greater need than I. I think back to when I was first attending the EPsicopal church, in college, many of the University professors attended, and the Sunday School teacher was the Dean of arts and sciences, I found a more intellectual and stimulating foundation. Moving away, I have never found that level of academia or scholarship in a congregation, but I have not worked or lived in small college towns per se.
I did encounter though churches, not specifically Episcopal, that seemed to want no members who had no money. WHich is why I stopped going for the longest time.

Last week, I realized just how many people there are struggling not just financially, but in other aspects of their lives, and I realized that I am lucky and blessed that my hard work and choices have brought me to where I am now. I can help others, and to be a loving member of the community, I believe that I have that obligation to help others, as I would want to be treated with love repect and kindness if I were in their position.
I also remind myself weekly, that while I find, as an aesthetic , the service stimulates and inspires my need for an expression of God's Beauty and Love, I am there to help others when called, and perhaps remind myself that the greatest expression of love is to put aside one's own needs at times for those of others.

Upvote 0