Gaza Mother Teresa's nuns under bombardment: 'Where will these people go?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
After the deaths from the explosion at the hospital, there is also great concern at the convent of the Missionaries of Charity, which is not far away and has taken in 600 people who no longer have a home. "In our homes there are disabled children and bed-ridden elderly people". In Jerusalem, the Indian Commissioner of the Holy Land celebrated Mass at the Sepulchre praying to "the Prince of Peace" for them.

Jerusalem (AsiaNews) - "In our convent we also felt the effects of the explosion at the al Ahli hospital,we are close to the affected area. The people we host are afraid that it could happen to us too," recount the Missionaries of Charity, the nuns of Mother Teresa of Calcutta, present in Gaza for 50 years. They share their plight with AsiaNews through our contact with Fr. Francis Xavier, Franciscan, Indian Commissioner of the Holy Land.

"I celebrate the morning Mass at the Holy Sepulcher and the nuns of Mother Teresa also participate," he says. "In their convent in Jerusalem, there are two Indian nuns, one European and one local. Yesterday, after this celebration, in the Old City, I came to me and asked for help, telling us how extremely serious the situation in Gaza is."

“We are not worried about ourselves - they told Fr. Francis Xavier - but for disabled children and elderly people bedridden with bedsores. And also for the 600 people who took refuge in our convent after losing their homes in recent days due to the bombings. Where will they go now?”.

“At the moment there are three nuns living in the convent - continues the Indian Franciscan - while two others are away for other activities related to their ministry. The superior of the convent is a nun from Orisa. Despite being a very courageous woman, she is afraid that the next bomb could fall on their convent or on the church of the Holy Family which is located next door."

Continued below.
https://www.asianews.it/news-en/Gaza,-Mother-Teresa's-nuns-under-bombardment:-'Where-will-these-people-go-59388.html