United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hey guys,
Don't let their name fool you. The ACLU is a bunch of wolves that have been trying to tear America apart for years, and they were doing a good job of it for a while. But now the christians are on to them. I would think that they are part of the One World Government movement, and they used a clever name to disguise their evil deeds. The ACLU = The American Civil Liberties Union, sure it sounds good, but if you look at the things they fight for and stand for, it's not difficult to see who they really are. The 700 Club started the ACLJ to combat these wolves. ACLJ = The American Center for Law and Justice, these are the good guys. The ACLJ has been fighting for freedom and the rights of christians for years now, and doing a great job I might add. But, whenever you hear of the ACLU going to court, it's probably to strip away more of our rights, or attacking christians. They don't do anything good for America, they are the ENEMY.

Upvote 0

ClieGuy

Jan 26, 2002
Visit site
✟274.00
I find it interesting that the homosexual people treat their sexuality in the same light as ethnicity. That is like saying that a homosexual has the same traits as an African American, Jew, Asian, etc.

Now don't get me wrong, I do not think that any hate crime is justified. By the way, we have laws that cover these crimes already. If someone beats me up because I am caucasian, I have the legal right to take care of it within the current legal frame work. Homosexual people also have these options.

They keep trying to pass legislation under the guise of Civil Rights!! This is a slap in the face to the people who were truly discriminated against and won their right to be treated as fellow human beings. To put sexual deviancy on this same platform is a disgrace!!!!!

I prefer to pray for these people and hope that God will minister to them and show them the real truth. Enacting laws to make them an accepted culture just plays into Satan's plan.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by solo66 man
I find this really sad. These men, I believe, are having sexual problems before they become Priests and hope that through works, as taught by the Catholic church, will let them escape or be healed from their proclivities. Then because they are not recieving the guidance and prayer they need, they fall and fall hard when they discover they cannot change by way of the route they chose.

Solo, if the Catholic Church chose to study this instead of sweeping it under the rug, they could more properly screen candidates for the priesthood.

Abuse by clergymen is FAR more common than is even reported. Of three brothers in my family, two of us were molested by two different priests from two different parishes. Neither of us reported it. Since then, I've met others who were molested and never reported it.

Until the Church wakes up and deals with this head-on, it will continue to plague them.

Upvote 0

cb

Feb 12, 2002
Visit site
✟15,318.00
Faith
Taoist
being a resident of boston, where all of this recent scandal started, most of the citizens up here just cannot understand why the church would cover up for child molesters???

do you know how fast we'd throw these perverts in jail if they were lay people? imagine having a sexual predetor on the lose in your community? imagine your child being vulnerable to such an attack?

yet, not only do we not throw geogan and these other child rapists in jail, we move them around for 40 YEARS! if that doesn't signify a deep problem within the church, i don't know what does.

Upvote 0

messenjah

Veteran
Jan 18, 2002
Snohomish, WA
✟8,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...well, seems lika that our Lord is coming back soon. But, he's comiing to take a clean church, not a a dirty one like the one who's on the earth right now.
That's interesting because I don't think we have ever had a clean Church. Going to Church doesn't make you sinless, it's asking for forgiveness that does. In fact the whole point of the Church is to have problems. If we didn't have problems then we wouldn't need Christ and if we didn't need Christ then we wouldn't have a Church.

Upvote 0

solo66 man

Jan 18, 2002
San Jose Ca.
✟6,958.00
I see where the Catholic Church is coming from, although misguided in their mercy. It's a "lets not hand them over to the world and pray for them and let God work in their lives" attitude. I partially believe what they are saying in a limited circustance. But even Jesus allowed Peter to be sifted by Satan. As you know,
when Jesus did this, He refered to Peter (Rock) as Simon (weak,
unstable). And Peter did not fair so well at first dispite all his boasting of going to prison and or death with Jesus. He denied Jesus 3 times and even cursed him to save himself. But later, due to the sifting, Peter became the Rock Jesus prophesied he would be by the name He gave him.
Many Christians today have the same attitude as the Catholic Church and understandably. We do not want to see or know that we allowed anyone to fall and fall into the hands of Satan. It hurts us as I am sure it hurt Jesus. But when the Word is not enough, when the Holy Spirit is not enough, when the love of Jesus is not enough, then for their sake in lew of the day of judgement, it must be done as a final step in hopes of that one
being spared from eternal death.

Originally posted by kezekiel

Solo, if the Catholic Church chose to study this instead of sweeping it under the rug, they could more properly screen candidates for the priesthood.

Abuse by clergymen is FAR more common than is even reported. Of three brothers in my family, two of us were molested by two different priests from two different parishes. Neither of us reported it. Since then, I've met others who were molested and never reported it.

Until the Church wakes up and deals with this head-on, it will continue to plague them.

Upvote 0

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by solo66 man
I see where the Catholic Church is coming from, although misguided in their mercy. It's a "lets not hand them over to the world and pray for them and let God work in their lives" attitude. I partially believe what they are saying in a limited circustance. But even Jesus allowed Peter to be sifted by Satan.

First, Jesus specifically didn't allow Peter to be sifted by Satan, but rather protected him from the devil... but that is neither here nor there.

Anyways, it is not that the Catholic Church was misguided in their handling of these pedophile priests, it is that it was the belief of the medical community that these men could be rehabilitated and that prison time was cruel and unusual punishment for people with this condition. The Church was acting within the prescribed treatment procedures for those it knew were offenders. In his book "Pedophiles and Priests", Dr. Phillip Jenkins goes into the whole thing in detail.

Upvote 0

marmaladePRO

Dec 17, 2001
Medicine Hat Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟1,720.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
"Abuse by clergymen is FAR more common than is even reported"
it is important to note here that the *abuse* common is not part and parcel of the Catholic church, it is not a Catholic issue, it is a sin issue that knows no bound, church or unchurch.

Upvote 0

rollinTHUNDER

Veteran
Dec 30, 2001
Central Florida USA
Visit site
✟22,549.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I believe, and this is only my opinion, and I should also point out that I haven't studied this stuff at all, but these priests are far too often getting caught for there sick lusts. These are no small sins here, these sins are of Satan. God destroyed Soddam and Gomorah for these very acts. I have a hard time sweeping this under the rug. These priests are being misled by false teachings. I would question why they even wanted to become priests. I doubt if God called these men. The way I understand this, is that these men aren't even aloud to take a wife. Any fool should be able to see that this alone - is a trap. Where did they get this foolishness?? I just wonder how many more are doing this, and just haven't been caught yet. Some of these boys have probably enjoyed this and became priest themselves. I don't even want to think about this any further.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by rollinTHUNDER
I believe, and this is only my opinion, and I should also point out that I haven't studied this stuff at all...

The only thing worse than a biased opinion is an uninformed biased opinion.

Upvote 0

rollinTHUNDER

Veteran
Dec 30, 2001
Central Florida USA
Visit site
✟22,549.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hello nyj,
Okay - I've already admitted that it was only my opinion. You seem to have a problem with that. Go ahead, make my day. This is no small problem, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if this isn't 100 times worse than we think it is. You seem to want to protect these perverts, but, it is my wish to expose them. State your case. I'm all ears.

Upvote 0

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by rollinTHUNDER

Okay - I've already admitted that it was only my opinion. You seem to have a problem with that. Go ahead, make my day. This is no small problem, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if this isn't 100 times worse than we think it is. You seem to want to protect these perverts, but, it is my wish to expose them. State your case. I'm all ears.

Protect these guys? Hardly. Any sex offender should be tossed in jail, I'm all for that. However, as I've said once and I'll say again, I referred everyone to a book called Pedophiles and Priests written by Dr. Philip Jenkins. In this book he states that the medical treatment for sexual offenders up until recently, was rehabilitation by therapy, not rehabilitation by jail sentence. In a majority, nay virtually all, of the cases, the Church was aware of what was going on, and worked within the law to rectify the problem and seek help for the priest and victims in question.

Second, the Church cannot coverup what she does not know about. That these crimes are not reportedly immediately to the police (for whatever reason) is not the fault of the Church. I know of no instances where the Catholic Church pursuaded a family or individual from going to the police.

Third, your comment that these pedophile cases are the result of priests not being able to marry is silly. No, it's beyond silly.. it's ludicrous. Pedophilia is a disease, it is a perverse mental state, it is an addiction of sorts I'd say. To think that if these men had wives, things would be hunky dory is pathetic. Heck, if that were the case why were they not just having an affair with a female parishoner? That would be the typical modus operandi of any normal man who wanted to have a romantic affair. Also, Dr. Jenkins in his book states that a celibate state is not an indicator for a higher probability to commit sexual misconduct. In the married clergy (ie: non-Catholic faiths), the incidence of sexual misconduct is actually higher (though not significantly)... meaning that married or unmarried... it's a wash.

Lastly, your comment that some of those "boys enjoyed it and became priests themselves" is pathetic. Can you give me the name of an individual that has been sexually abused and enjoyed it? These sorts of abuses create deep emotional scars, and while the pattern may then repeat itself in the victim, I doubt it's pleasing in a way that we can identify with.

So, next time you want to run your mouth, can you have at least something useful to say?

Sorry to the lurkers reading this thread for my bluntness, but sometimes silliness cannot and should not be tolerated.

Upvote 0

solo66 man

Jan 18, 2002
San Jose Ca.
✟6,958.00
An article from yesterday's newspaper.
First I could not believe the number of children involed with one priest.
Then, I could not believe 80 priests are being handed over.
Pedophiles can slip under the wire anywhere, but this, I find amazing.

Pedophile priest sentenced
GEOGHAN TO SPEND 9 TO 10 YEARS IN PRISON
By Jay Lindsay
Associated Press

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - A former priest accused of molesting 130 boys in the biggest such scandal to rock the nation's Roman Catholic Church was sentenced Thursday to nine to 10 years in prison for groping a youngster in a swimming pool.
In handing down the maximum, Judge Sandra Hamlin said 66-year-old John Geoghan ``hid behind his collar'' as he abused his victims.
``This court has no doubt he's dangerous,'' Hamlin said. ``He engaged in what this court can only characterize as reprehensible and depraved behavior.''
Geoghan was convicted last month of indecent assault and battery. He will serve six years behind bars; the rest will be suspended based on a sentencing law in effect at the time of the crime in 1991.

The criminal case is the only one against Geoghan to go to trial so far. He is awaiting trial in two more cases involving two boys. He also faces more than 80 lawsuits.

Boston's large Catholic community was shaken when a Boston Globe investigation revealed that leaders of the Archdiocese of Boston knew about the child-molestation allegations against Geoghan over the past three decades and did little more than move him from parish to parish.

The scandal has led to demands for the resignation of Cardinal Bernard Law and prompted a sharp reversal in policy earlier this year by the archdiocese, which announced that it will report all past and future child-abuse allegations against priests to authorities.

In recent weeks, the archdiocese has given prosecutors the names of more than 80 active and former priests accused of abuse over the past four decades. Nine priests have been suspended.

In the current case, a 10-year-old boy testified that Geoghan approached him at the Waltham Boys and Girls Club and offered to teach him how to dive. He said the priest stuck a hand under his shorts and squeezed his buttocks.

Geoghan shook his head in disagreement as the judge described him as a diagnosed pedophile who refused to admit he needed help.

The victim, now 20, said in a statement before the sentencing that he was sickened by Geoghan's apparent lack of remorse.
Geoghan's 130 alleged victims are the most in any known priest abuse case in the nation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

solo66 man

Jan 18, 2002
San Jose Ca.
✟6,958.00
Originally posted by JohnR7
This is a day and a hour when we need a closer walk with God. There is going to be no middle ground. Evil is going to be come utterly evil, and good is going to become extreamly good, and people are going to have to choose to go one way or the other.
And this is why we need to pray more and more. Pray without ceasing and then pray some more.

Upvote 0

rollinTHUNDER

Veteran
Dec 30, 2001
Central Florida USA
Visit site
✟22,549.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
To nyj,
Yes, I would say that this is a sad reality, but you can keep your book. I don't need to read a book from another Doctor Ruth, thats for losers. I don't believe in shrinks either, you can save it for some blinded fool. I think that you would be shocked, if you learned how God would deal with this problem. Rehabilitate?? Why don't you try death. I have nothing more for you. We will not agree on this matter. I will not be tolerant, or politicly correct. You say this is a church matter, but this is nothing less than false teachings, leading many to the slaughter. Does it say in your book, that Gods people perish for a lack of knowledge?? Don't answer that, I don't care to know your opinion, or what the latest survey says.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟278,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Then Simon Peter came up to him and said, Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?

Jesus said to him, I do not say to you seven times; why don't you try death? I have nothing more for you. I will not be tolerant, nor politically correct; go, therefore and do likewise.

Upvote 0
Not quite Wolseley.

Try: "21Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?" 22Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times."

or in KJV:

"21 Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? 22 Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven."

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟278,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As Charlie Brown once said to Lucy, "Don't you know a sarcasm when you hear it?" ;)

I was merely trying to point out to Thunder what his words would sound like coming from the lips of Our Lord. Very jarring, no?

But I will say that Thunder and I agree 100% on our opinion of the Anti-Christian Liberties Union. :)

God bless all here,
---Wols.

Upvote 0