Gay marriage. Are you for or against it?

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
i dont have a distaste for gay marriage.

I have a distaste for lots of things. But that doesn't mean I necessarily think there should be laws preventing them. Why do you think there should be laws against gay marriage?

Upvote 0

crazyfingers

May 17, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟18,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
would you all stop twisting my words?! do people not understand what 'i dont support' means?

Would you stand in the way of allowing gays to have legal civil marriage? Or is your non-support simply that you will do noting for or against gay marriage.

Upvote 0

faithfulone1219

Pirate Princess
Dec 31, 2006
Coronado California
✟15,837.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Would you stand in the way of allowing gays to have legal civil marriage? Or is your non-support simply that you will do noting for or against gay marriage.
let me explain why i dont support. but this time, im not going to put God in this. and of course, none of us are wrong. i believe im right because of my beliefs. so honestly, no one can be wrong

i don't support gay marriage because i see no use of it in our society. I am for things and issues that help out this country for the greater good and that will help us survive this world. yea i know we have orphan children in many cities looking for a home. yes that is true. i know that the human race is not lacking anyone right now. but in the natural world, it is male and female that make the future of the species. not the same sex. ok, now you might fire back with 'there are couples that dont want children' ok. there are people like that. good for them. thats their own choice. if a married couple doesnt want children, they are only letting another couple have their children and let the population grow.

i have no problem with gay couples, i just dont see why they want to get married. is it because they want to be looked at as a normal couple? as in equal to a man and woman being married? you know, with legal documentation and such? or what? because if gay marriage is going to be agreed on, what will gay couples get? really? what will they get out of having their marriages legalized? just the mere fact of saying 'im gay and im married'? thats what i dont understand. why should i agree to something i believe wont do anything to move this society into the future, that will help us with other situations, with other things that deal with the survival of this country. oh and please, if any of you are going to come out with 'gay people are our future' save it. we are all the future, not just the gay community.

ok, so maybe america will legalize gay marriage in, oh say 3 years. then what? whats next? what im trying to say here is that, to me, this isnt a big deal. i dont want to say yes to something that wont make me feel more satisfied with this country. if america says no to gay marriage, i just hope it goes on to bigger and better things.

americ is trying to make everyone happy. but there will always be a group of people not happy with the decision.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
i have no problem with gay couples, i just dont see why they want to get married. is it because they want to be looked at as a normal couple? as in equal to a man and woman being married? you know, with legal documentation and such? or what? because if gay marriage is going to be agreed on, what will gay couples get? really? what will they get out of having their marriages legalized? just the mere fact of saying 'im gay and im married'?

You are aware of the financial and legal benefits of marriage, aren't you? There are many benefits in store for same-sex couples once they get married. They are equal couples, and their bond is equal to a different-sex marriage.

You seem to be of the opinion that "what does it matter if they can marry, it won't make any difference" when in fact it will make a difference for them. And if it doesn't make a difference for anyone else (which it doesn't) then why deny them the privelage?

Upvote 0

crazyfingers

May 17, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟18,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
i don't support gay marriage because i see no use of it in our society.

That comment suggests a significant deficit of attention to the golden rule.

Gay people have a use for it. It provides for a level of security and protection that everyone else can have.

I am for things and issues that help out this country for the greater good and that will help us survive this world.

Legal civil marriage would help gay couples while harming no one. If you are for the greater good, you should support civil marriage for gays.

yea i know we have orphan children in many cities looking for a home. yes that is true. i know that the human race is not lacking anyone right now. but in the natural world, it is male and female that make the future of the species. not the same sex. ok, now you might fire back with 'there are couples that dont want children' ok. there are people like that. good for them. thats their own choice. if a married couple doesnt want children, they are only letting another couple have their children and let the population grow.

That’s no argument at all against gay marriage.

i have no problem with gay couples, i just dont see why they want to get married.

You don’t see why they’d want to get married?? That’s truly amazing. The same reason that others want to get married. All of the same reasons. Again I suggest trying a bit of golden rule on for size.

is it because they want to be looked at as a normal couple? as in equal to a man and woman being married? you know, with legal documentation and such? or what? because if gay marriage is going to be agreed on, what will gay couples get? really? what will they get out of having their marriages legalized? just the mere fact of saying 'im gay and im married'? thats what i dont understand. why should i agree to something i believe wont do anything to move this society into the future, that will help us with other situations, with other things that deal with the survival of this country. oh and please, if any of you are going to come out with 'gay people are our future' save it. we are all the future, not just the gay community.

It’s for all the same reasons that heterosexuals get civil marriages. This isn’t that hard to figure out.

if america says no to gay marriage, i just hope it goes on to bigger and better things.

If the US says no to gay marriage then it will have missed an opportunity to do the right thing. That is to allow gays the same civil protections for couples that heterosexuals have.

[americ is trying to make everyone happy. but there will always be a group of people not happy with the decision.

Civil marriage for gays helps them and harms no one.

You post suggests a severe lack of empathy for others.

And by the way, you didn’t answer my question.

Upvote 0

TooCurious

Kitten with a ball of string
Aug 10, 2003
✟10,481.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
let me explain why i dont support. but this time, im not going to put God in this. and of course, none of us are wrong. i believe im right because of my beliefs. so honestly, no one can be wrong

I guess that depends on how you define "right" and "wrong." I define "wrong," in this case, as in defiance of our Constitutional protection of equality under law.

faithfulone1219 said:
i don't support gay marriage because i see no use of it in our society.

Of what use is heterosexual marriage in our society? Christian marriage? How would you feel if someone said that they "saw no use" in allowing YOU to marry? Would that be valid?

faithful1219 said:
I am for things and issues that help out this country for the greater good and that will help us survive this world.

I'm in favor of people having the freedom to do what they see fit, as long as it does not violate anyone else's rights. I'm in favor of social justice and equality under law.

faithfulone1219 said:
yea i know we have orphan children in many cities looking for a home. yes that is true. i know that the human race is not lacking anyone right now.

So the reproductive argument against gay marriage is invalid. Okay.

faithfulone1219 said:
but in the natural world, it is male and female that make the future of the species. not the same sex.

1. There is homosexuality among many species in nature.

2. We are thinking animals, and have created for ourselves a civilization. Why must we take our cues from the natural world? If we did that in earnest, we'd have no clothes, no computers, no rapid transportation, no agriculture. If two people of the same gender are deeply in love and want to marry, what does it matter what giraffes do?

faithfulone1219 said:
ok, now you might fire back with 'there are couples that dont want children' ok. there are people like that. good for them. thats their own choice. if a married couple doesnt want children, they are only letting another couple have their children and let the population grow.

And there are some straight married couples that do want children, and because of fertility problems cannot have those children in the natural way. They either adopt, or use science to solve their fertility problems (sperm donors, in vitro fertilization, surrogate mothers, etc.). Gay couples can do these things as well. No difference.

faithfulone1219 said:
i have no problem with gay couples, i just dont see why they want to get married.

:doh: Why do straight couples want to get married? Why does ANYONE want to get married?

Legal marriage confers a vast number of financial and legal benefits. It affects taxes, insurance, inheritance, hospital visitation, power-of-attorney, and many others (someone had a link to the full list awhile back... there were in excess of a hundred). Denying these benefits to gay couples by denying them access to marriage is discrimination.

faithfulone1219 said:
is it because they want to be looked at as a normal couple?

They ARE a normal couple. They have every right to be seen as such.

faithfulone1219 said:
as in equal to a man and woman being married?

They ARE equal to a man and woman being married, and the law should recognize that.

faithfulone1219 said:
you know, with legal documentation and such?

The legal documentation, and all the priveleges it confers upon married couples.

faithfulone1219 said:
or what? because if gay marriage is going to be agreed on, what will gay couples get? really? what will they get out of having their marriages legalized? just the mere fact of saying 'im gay and im married'?

Equal protection under law, and all the rights and priveleges granted to married couples. The right to be let in to visit one's spouse in intensive care after a car accident, for instance. Many places only let in the immediate family, you know.

faithfulone1219 said:
thats what i dont understand. why should i agree to something i believe wont do anything to move this society into the future, that will help us with other situations, with other things that deal with the survival of this country.

Because inequality and injustice don't need to affect you personally in order to be wrong? Because the government has no business placing restrictions against things which cause no harm--especially when it means treating a segment of the population unequally?

faithfulone1219 said:
oh and please, if any of you are going to come out with 'gay people are our future' save it. we are all the future, not just the gay community.

Indeed, we are all the future, and so should be treated equally by the law.

faithfulone1219 said:
ok, so maybe america will legalize gay marriage in, oh say 3 years. then what? whats next?

I'm sure there are more social injustices out there that need addressing.

faithfulone1219 said:
what im trying to say here is that, to me, this isnt a big deal.

Of course not. You're not the one being told you can't marry.

faithfulone1219 said:
i dont want to say yes to something that wont make me feel more satisfied with this country.

Honest question: Does something have to benefit you personally in order for it to "make you feel more satisfied with this country"? Because I feel more satisfied with the country when steps are taken to correct legal inequality.

faithfulone1219 said:
if america says no to gay marriage, i just hope it goes on to bigger and better things.

Like what, exactly? Saying no to atheist marriage? When you talk about America leaving an injustice uncorrected and then "going on to bigger and better things," I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean.

faithfulone1219 said:
americ is trying to make everyone happy. but there will always be a group of people not happy with the decision.

Which is why this decision shouldn't be about "making people happy," but doing what is legally, Constitutionally right--guaranteeing equality under law for all citizens.

Upvote 0

crazyfingers

May 17, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟18,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Im straight but pro gay marriage and all other kinds.

Yup. Me too. All it takes is a little bit of golden rule and empathy for others to know that allowing for same sex civil marriage is the right thing to do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faithfulone1219

Pirate Princess
Dec 31, 2006
Coronado California
✟15,837.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
That comment suggests a significant deficit of attention to the golden rule.

Gay people have a use for it. It provides for a level of security and protection that everyone else can have.

Legal civil marriage would help gay couples while harming no one. If you are for the greater good, you should support civil marriage for gays.

That’s no argument at all against gay marriage.

You don’t see why they’d want to get married?? That’s truly amazing. The same reason that others want to get married. All of the same reasons. Again I suggest trying a bit of golden rule on for size.

It’s for all the same reasons that heterosexuals get civil marriages. This isn’t that hard to figure out.

If the US says no to gay marriage then it will have missed an opportunity to do the right thing. That is to allow gays the same civil protections for couples that heterosexuals have.

Civil marriage for gays helps them and harms no one.

You post suggests a severe lack of empathy for others.

And by the way, you didn’t answer my question.
if its not doing much of anything to anyone not affected by it, then why should i agree upon it?

Upvote 0

faithfulone1219

Pirate Princess
Dec 31, 2006
Coronado California
✟15,837.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
yea ok, gay couples will have a chance to get married. alright i get that, but why should i, as in myself, come in the end to vote for it?

oh and yes, i do have empathy for others. i just dont support the subject of this thread. ive explained myself why and everytime i do, more people want to keep questioning my motives and what i say. no matter what, nothing will really get through. there will always be people for and against this. whether or not america says yes or no. i just happen to be a person who is against it. whether you except why im not for it or not, i dont care. i was only expressing what i thought about this.

Reactions: Henaynei
Upvote 0

*Starlight*

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time
Jan 19, 2005
Right in front of you *waves*
Visit site
✟133,073.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
yea ok, gay couples will have a chance to get married. alright i get that, but why should i, as in myself, come in the end to vote for it?
Umm... because then you would help eliminate injustice and help some people make their life easier? Isn't that a good enough reason?

Upvote 0

crazyfingers

May 17, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟18,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
if its not doing much of anything to anyone not affected by it, then why should i agree upon it?

What? Are you actually asking why you should agree to something if it helps some people and doesn't hurt others? This is very basic morality here.

Upvote 0

*Starlight*

Jan 19, 2005
Visit site
✟133,073.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

crazyfingers

May 17, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟18,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

You still have not answered my question from several posts back. I asked whether you would actively stand against gay marriage or just do nothing one way of the other.

oh and yes, i do have empathy for others. i just dont support the subject of this thread. ive explained myself why and everytime i do, more people want to keep questioning my motives and what i say. no matter what, nothing will really get through. there will always be people for and against this. whether or not america says yes or no. i just happen to be a person who is against it. whether you except why im not for it or not, i dont care. i was only expressing what i thought about this.

It's immoral to stand against helping others when such help harms no one.

Upvote 0

faithfulone1219

Pirate Princess
Dec 31, 2006
Coronado California
✟15,837.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Umm... because then you would help eliminate injustice and help some people make their life easier? Isn't that a good enough reason?
who's life easier? the people in question? thats a good reason. but not good enough to convince me to say yes. so many other people have it hard in this country too. and there are other injustices too.

Upvote 0

faithfulone1219

Pirate Princess
Dec 31, 2006
Coronado California
✟15,837.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
You still have not answered my question from several posts back. I asked whether you would actively stand against gay marriage or just do nothing one way of the other.

It's immoral to stand against helping others when such help harms no one.
actively stand against it? no. i just won't support it

Upvote 0

*Starlight*

Jan 19, 2005
Visit site
✟133,073.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
who's life easier? the people in question? thats a good reason. but not good enough to convince me to say yes. so many other people have it hard in this country too. and there are other injustices too.
So just because some people have it hard, then other people must have it hard too? I think that people should try to eliminate all injustices, one by one... so that eventually no one will have it hard... but for that to work, you can't just refuse to help one group of people just because other people need help too.

Upvote 0

faithfulone1219

Pirate Princess
Dec 31, 2006
Coronado California
✟15,837.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
So just because some people have it hard, then other people must have it hard too? I think that people should try to eliminate all injustices, one by one... so that eventually no one will have it hard... but for that to work, you can't just refuse to help one group of people just because other people need help too.
like i said before, no matter what, people will keep questioning my motives on why i choose to say no. whether any of you say im refusing to help or that its immorally incorrect to help people who are not harming anyone, im going to say no. at this moment in time, i say no. im more focused on some other things that i want to support and help with. and gay marriage isnt one of them right now

after talking on here and hearing other peoples views about it, i have come to understand why gay marriage should be a law in this country. in the beginning i didnt really get the grip of it, but now i do. i just dont support it right now. im not against it though

do you all get me now?

Upvote 0