Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
1. There isn't a source for his statement.
2. He isn't endorsing genocide, just stating he opposes gay marriage.
3. I can't find any source for this statement at all anywhere on the Internet.
4. Given 1, 2 and 3, the flat out lie becomes glaringly obvious. His Eminence has done no such thing.

Upvote 0
F

fuerein

It might be more intellectually honest to look at what is actually being supported. I've found several sources talking about the Orthodox Church in Uganda and the only ones making it appear the Orthodox in Uganda sanction the death penalty are basically copies of that petition. The rest say (at most) they support outlawing homosexuality but disagree with the penalties proposed.

See:

Churches join criticism of Uganda’s ‘anti-gay’ bill: CEN 1.08.10 p 6. « Conger

Homosexual Imperialists Target Uganda; Help Save Uganda from George Soros and his Foreign Predators

RIGHTS-UGANDA: “You Cannot Tell Me You Will Kill Me Because I’m Gay” | IPS - Communicating MDG3 - Giving voice to gender equality

Upvote 0

Anatole

Apr 23, 2007
✟23,067.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Justin,
We have been down this road so many times. You know the Church's teaching on homosexuality. If you choose to reject what the Church teaches, that is your deciison. But you are not going to find a loophole which allows you to live the homosexual lifestyle which you have chosen to live instead of being Orthodox. Please do those of us who live an Orthodox life a favor and stop flaunting your rejection of Christian teaching in our faces.

Upvote 0

Musa80

Veteran
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
✟10,191.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
1. There isn't a source for his statement.
2. He isn't endorsing genocide, just stating he opposes gay marriage.
3. I can't find any source for this statement at all anywhere on the Internet.
4. Given 1, 2 and 3, the flat out lie becomes glaringly obvious. His Eminence has done no such thing.

^^^^^^
This

Upvote 0

HandmaidenOfGod

Christ is Risen! Indeed He is Risen!
Sep 11, 2004
✟15,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Justin,
We have been down this road so many times. You know the Church's teaching on homosexuality. If you choose to reject what the Church teaches, that is your deciison. But you are not going to find a loophole which allows you to live the homosexual lifestyle which you have chosen to live instead of being Orthodox. Please do those of us who live an Orthodox life a favor and stop flaunting your rejection of Christian teaching in our faces.

Justin is not asking for a loophole that accepts homosexuality. Justin has actually rejected the Church, so he's not looking for any "loophole" to support his lifestyle. He's asking us to confirm that the Church does not support gay genocide.

While the Church does not support a homosexual lifestyle, it also would never support the killing of people for it. After all, if we're going to start executing people for one type of sin, all of us would have to be executed because we are all sinful.

Not only does this go against the commandment "thou shall not kill," it also goes against the entire theological belief of life in Christ.

Through Christ there is redemption and life for those who repent and accept Him as their Lord and Savior. Through Christ we may experience theosis and live!

It is perfectly reasonable for someone to ask if the Church would accept a genocide against gays. (During World War II, Hitler specifically targeted homosexuals, Jehovah's Witnesses, and people of Slavic origin in addition to the Jews, so genocide against homosexuals is not without precedent.*)

Fortunately, we can be confident that the Church most certainly does not support genocide of any type. :clap:

*I am not saying the Church condoned Hitler's actions; I am merely stating genocide towards gays does have precedent.

Upvote 0

SeraphimSarov

Пресвятая Богородица, спаси нас...
Feb 16, 2007
Nowhere
✟36,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
You were an active member of the Church once, Justin. Did you ever see or hear anything that would imply that the Church condones mass murder? Didn't think so.

And I must say this. You knew what our answer would be before you even asked, and the same scenario has come up with you dozens of times before, both here and elsewhere. I for one echo the last line of Anatole's post: "Please do those of us who live an Orthodox life a favor and stop flaunting your rejection of Christian teaching in our faces."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anatole

Apr 23, 2007
✟23,067.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is no way Metropolitan Jonah supports genocide.

No one ever said His Beattitude did. Genocide is beyong murder, it is such a horrible sin that it can never be justified. But at the same time, The Orthodox Church can never justify apostasy from the Faith in order pursue a homosexual lifestyle.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟756,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I am not inferring that the OP is insincere but I believe that the very organization that he has as a source ("change" something) is a political front group using a big lie tactic to manipulate a false premise ("genocide"). Others have indicated this earlier in the thread & since the front group "change" is pro abortion & supports the global warming lie in their agenda, they are another so called "rights' group that spout lies and accomplish nothing except to find ways to fill their pockets with other people's money.

Upvote 0

Julina

Veteran
Apr 14, 2008
New Joisey
Visit site
✟18,285.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I am not inferring that the OP is insincere but I believe that the very organization that he has as a source ("change" something) is a political front group using a big lie tactic to manipulate a false premise ("genocide"). Others have indicated this earlier in the thread & since the front group "change" is pro abortion & supports the global warming lie in their agenda, they are another so called "rights' group that spout lies and accomplish nothing except to find ways to fill their pockets with other people's money.
except that group wasn't asking for money at all
and the bill i posted is real

Upvote 0

ikonographics

In patience I waited patiently on the Lord
Apr 27, 2008
Greece
Visit site
✟27,987.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No one ever said His Beattitude did. Genocide is beyong murder, it is such a horrible sin that it can never be justified. But at the same time, The Orthodox Church can never justify apostasy from the Faith in order pursue a homosexual lifestyle.

Justin did. Metropolitan Jonah of UGANDA.

Upvote 0

Anglian

let us love one another, for love is of God
Oct 21, 2007
Held
✟20,741.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Obviously the answer is that all Orthodox and Catholic Churches hate gay people and sanction genocide - after all the only alternative explanation would be that they hate the sin and love the sinner - which wouldn't fit with the line taken by gay propagandists at all.:o

I suppose once you start seeing things from a certain perspective, all manner of unlikely things can become true: black is white, good is bad, orthodoxy is oppressive and sin is liberating. :doh:

peace,

Anglian

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Josiah14

Make your sole goal acquisition of the Holy Spirit
Aug 12, 2008
United States of America
✟16,224.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The short answer is no, Genocide of any kind is not only not supported, it is condemned as a mortal sin by the Church, even the Orthodox Church in Ughanda.

It may help to be clear on how Orthodox Christians approach sin. First, because every person inherits some curruption of human nature thanks to the fall of Adam, it is presumed that every person deals with some sort of sin. Thus, Christianity is not interested in the condemnation and destruction of the sinner, no matter what the reason behind it is. Christianity is concerned with the restoration of the sinner to the proper human nature that is God-like and pure and all-loving. That being said, it seems that because of societal trends, certain sins condemned by the Church are being pushed on the world's populus for acceptance, thus Christians get railed for condemning the behavior. The fact remains, though, that the homosexual has one sort of struggle against lust, and the heterosexual has another sort of struggle against lust. Both still have to struggle against lust. Thats why we say, get married once and stay married and do not commit adultery, for that is one sort of chastity, or become a monk and practice that sort of chastity. We do not expect different things from different people, nobody perfectly obeys the Church's teachings, and so everyone has to struggle in cooperation with Christ to find salvation.

Anyone who tells you that he does not need to struggle in the Church has not yet taken ownership of and responsibility for his sins. Anyone who judges someone else because of how much the other sins, or how the other sins, that person judges because he is blind to his own sin and doesn't recognize that his actions affect the whole of society, and murderers, adulterers, thiefs, etc. are sinful in part because of his own negative contributions to society. If our brother sins, it is our sin too, for we are all responsible for each other.

I hope this clears things up a little bit. We do not condemn homosexuals, but we do condemn their sin and compassionately urge them to forgive us our faults and to take responsibility for themselves and begin to repent along with the rest of those in the Church.

Upvote 0

HandmaidenOfGod

Christ is Risen! Indeed He is Risen!
Sep 11, 2004
✟15,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
except that group wasn't asking for money at all
and the bill i posted is real

The bill was written by the Ugandan government, not the Orthodox Church, and nowhere in the bill does it say that genocide is permitted or encouraged.

Upvote 0

Sothron

Humble Orthodox Christian
Nov 28, 2006
Columbus, Ga
✟16,708.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Justin,

This times a dozen. Stop trying to flaunt your rejection. You knew the answer to this utterly laughable and transparent question before you even posed it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.