Max Shade

Feb 18, 2013
Eastcoast
✟2,197.00
Faith
Celtic Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Games that are violent for the sake of being violent (GTA, Mortal Kombat, etc.)

Violence is not always bad in the real world. I have been compensated well for violence in the real. Violence has always been part of the human condition since Cain and Abel. The question is, will we use these impulses well or for sin?

Upvote 0

jjust19

Jun 5, 2013
QLD, Australia
✟7,836.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Well, video games can become an idol, which is pretty obvious. I don't really see any problems with video games. Sure, GTA and COD are pretty violent, but then again, everything is. Listen, the Bible tells us to abstain from the appearance of evil. I'm not saying that you should throw your violent games away, I'm just saying that you should spend more time on other things. I myself am a Minecraft addict (it's like heroin to me) in which I really need to cut down.

Upvote 0

Max Shade

Feb 18, 2013
Eastcoast
✟2,197.00
Faith
Celtic Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm surprised people are more concerned about the violence in the game, than they are of the profanity, or sexual content. jjust19 I like minecraft too Lol.

Well, by and large, Christians are a group that enjoys condeming, provided it isn't what they enjoy. He without rhythm is the first to throw stones at the dancers & she who struggles with weight is quick to throw stones at the scantily clad skinny girls. . . As you wind your way through Christian circles, you will find nobody has stones to toss apart from those sins they don't enjoy. Marvel not, there is no mystery in this.

Upvote 0

forGod1

Jul 29, 2010
Saskatchewan, Canada
✟9,232.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Violence is not always bad in the real world. I have been compensated well for violence in the real. Violence has always been part of the human condition since Cain and Abel. The question is, will we use these impulses well or for sin?

use your violent impulses well? lol by not using them?

Upvote 0
M

marc32123

Yeah, but like I said COD is involved in protecting people, whereas things like GTA (Grand Theft Auto) is about stealing cars and murdering people. Kinda like music, you should limit how much time you take simulating something bad like that.

Note: I'm a GAMER who's 14 and saying this, that puts it in perspective.

Even though Grand Theft Auto is about stealing cars and murdering people, it is still only a video game. The bible does say you should not steal, but it is not talking about in a video game. It is talking about in real life. And the reason the bible says you aren't suppose to do things such as steal, is because it is hurting someone else. Stealing something from somebody in a video game is not hurting anybody. I have to say GTA is pretty messed up, but I don't really think it is a sin if you play it, unless it is diluting your mind so much that you start to want to do the things you are doing in the video game. If somebody is like that, either way they are pretty messed up and the game probably wouldn't have made a difference in whether or not they would have done those things anyways.

Upvote 0
M

marc32123

I do understand that it could be construed as actually being in the military and performing duties as such, but by playing the game you are not under strict orders with out choice to perform those duties considered killing or murdering; there by intentionally at will without reverence just murdering for no real gain but enjoyment by experience. Personally playing COD would make me sick and ill because of my conscience. I could never play a game like that without sever mental distress.

As I said earlier, people don’t play Call of Duty because they are trying to get some enjoyment out of murdering someone. They play Call of Duty because it is fun and challenging. If it causes you mental distress and gives you a guilty conscience to play, then don’t. But don’t try to convince people that are just playing the game for recreational means that it is wrong and a sin.

Upvote 0
M

marc32123

In my opinion, the only time someone in the real world should be violent is when they have to be to protect themselves or someone else from actual physical harm.....other than that, I can't really think of any reasons it could be good

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Sep 24, 2013
✟11,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
use your violent impulses well? lol by not using them?

I agree with marc32123 that we should only use violence as a last resort for dealing with certain problems, and mostly yes, for defending yourself or someone else. I'm not going to let some scumbag wail at me just because I dared to look at him.

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2013
✟11,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I question the moral ethics behind games like these all the time, and while one may defend it as a similar act of patriotism, is it really defining itself as acts of the "golden rule" we as Christian are to abide in/by?

The greatest commandment which is love.

When multiplayer opts represent the impractical options to stab, cheat and destroy against actual human opponents couldn't that be construed as representation of violence that is not inherent of LOVE.

I do understand that it could be construed as actually being in the military and performing duties as such, but by playing the game you are not under strict orders with out choice to perform those duties considered killing or murdering; there by intentionally at will without reverence just murdering for no real gain but enjoyment by experience. Personally playing COD would make me sick and ill because of my conscience. I could never play a game like that without sever mental distress.

After watching some vids of multiplayer sessions of COD I would highly recommend avoiding those type of games. They do generate hatred to some degree, they represent a model of discord and competition that provides CGI bloodshed, and overall in general are not representing a true model of Christianity.....better safe than sorry I say.

Praise be to GOD the heavenly father and his son lord JESUS CHRIST forever>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Call of Duty is not about murdering people. Contrary, it's actually about protecting people, after all, you're in the military and fighting against whoever the bad guys are (I've never played it, I've seen it). My guess is that you don't particularly like to kill stuff no matter what, which is good. But, I disagree, I think, and of course it depends on the person, that you don't HAVE to avoid those types of games, but don't play it too much especially if it's simulating something sinful.

Kind of like bad music. Why do you think kids end up killing themselves, or doing drugs? 2 main reasons (there are others, but these are the most common in order)
1. Other kids at school give them peer pressure
2. They listen to songs that encourage it A LOT

It's not really the content, it's the amount of time you spend WITH the content.

By the way, you were talking about multiplayer and how it takes away love? Well, not necessarily, because again, the other "humans" are enemies. One thing I like to do if I play a shooter (which is rare) is I don't focus on "kill the bad guy" I focus on "don't get killed."

Upvote 0

Max Shade

Feb 18, 2013
Eastcoast
✟2,197.00
Faith
Celtic Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In my opinion, the only time someone in the real world should be violent is when they have to be to protect themselves or someone else from actual physical harm.....other than that, I can't really think of any reasons it could be good

Well yeah. Some people actually make careers outta that . . .. imagine. People who confront violent felons in the real world for the protection of the innocent. . . some of us still like to play video games too. . .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If this were in the gaming section of the forum people would bash on anyone who is against gaming. lol

I used to game all the time. NOw I don't much simply because games no longer appeal to me. I don't think its a sin to play the game. However I don't think its the best thing in the world to be doing. More so depending on the content on it. GAmes like Postal, Manhunt...etc are games that may be funny or "fun to some, but in the end I think they cross a line.

I know my father doesn't care for the fact you can kill people in games. Even if theres no blood. I know sometimes the excuse used is "Its just pixels", but thats a REALLY silly excuse. Because if I made a game about being a pedophile the excuse "its just pixels" wouldn't be seen as valid. They may be pixels, but they still fill your head with stuff. Example I used to be into the more.... "aggressive" games with blood, guts, swearing...etc.

After staying away from those games I felt much better and had less immature thoughts in my head. I stuck to games like Mass Effect or Skyrim instead and found life to be much better. Of course now I play simple games. Casual gaming as its called. Angry Birds and so on.

Upvote 0

Girder of Loins

Future Math Teacher
Dec 5, 2010
United States of America
✟18,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you feel convicted about playing a video game, don't play it. A clear conscience is a sign of a holy lifestyle. I play a lot of TF2(have over 500 hours logged in), and I love it. And don't feel the need to directly incorporate God into everything you do. Games are usually there as an escape. Just be a positive person in the game, help new players, and be a good person. You don't necessarily need to directly say "God" to show God in-game.

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The bible also tells us to stone our children to death if they disobey.
i would say you need to improve your understanding of the bible. There are two views of the OT in Christianity. First is that only the moral laws like the ten commandments still apply. I don't agree with this personally. The other view is only instructions in the NT apply. Nine of the ten commandments are repeated in the NT. This does not mean the OT is useless. It contains prophecies which show us that things revealed in the NT are from God. It is also useful for definition of terms. There is no comprehensive definition in the NT of sexual immorality but the NT does condemn sexual immorality. So to understand what the readers understood sexual immorality to mean we look at the comprehensive definition in the OT.
Also worth noting is many laws in the OT were for Israel only not other nations. Instructions in the NT are for followers of Christ.

As for the passage you mentioned when it is read it most certainly is not just for disobedience. It is for several sins and more importantly a continued refusal to do the right thing and change the behaviour.

Upvote 0