Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
✟10,109.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I am sick of playing games where characters use the Lord's name in vain. Even more so, games where you are not given an option to turn the language off. Profanity is not bad, as playing a game with a general or someone throwing profanity around does not make me want to go around and use profanity all the time. Although, I downloaded the World in Conflict demo last night and in a 2 pr 3minute intro video to the first level I heard G.d. at least 2 times.

What do you think about games that do this? Gears of War had an option to turn off language, but if you turned language off you could not see any blood. I do not even think in Gears that anyone ever said G.d. It angers me when a game comes out and either a cutscene a character is spouting off G.d. or it is a regular action sensitive saying e.g. in Brothers in Arms when you give squad commands to move or fire at a position about 1 out of 5 or 6 times he will yell something that has G.d. in it.

You know, I could just simply ignore it and/or dismiss it or I could choose not to play these games. The fact that the games do this angers me as I would rather not hear it. I feel compelled to not play games that have no option to not hear this.

What are your thoughts?

My thought is that God is a universal term that refers to any and all gods so it is not taking it in "vain" if you say oh my god or similar.

What does taking a name in vain really mean anyway?

Upvote 0

.Sabre.

Aliens ate my custom title.
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2006
Chasing the sun's fading light
✟40,588.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
My thought is that God is a universal term that refers to any and all gods so it is not taking it in "vain" if you say oh my god or similar.

What does taking a name in vain really mean anyway?
Using it as an interjection or a swear word.

Upvote 0

.Sabre.

Aliens ate my custom title.
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2006
Chasing the sun's fading light
✟40,588.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
If I'm reading the arguments right, either they're calling on God's name in vain, or they're calling on another god in vain... so it's either blasphemy or idolatry... making it more a question if you prefer the frying pan or the fire?
I thought this thread wasn't for attempting conversions.

Upvote 0

gratefulgrace

Contributor
Jul 26, 2006
British Columbia
✟32,492.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Have video games branched out into taking the Lord Jesus Name in vain like all the movies these days? Suppose if not, it is only a matter of time. and you know I think saying Oh My God is taking the name of God in vain. I agree it is either blashemy or idolatry both are wrong.
I hear christians saying [wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth] all the time and it does bother me. Like all profanity it is sloppy lazy speech. gg

Reactions: Johnboy60
Upvote 0

FlaymSior

Aug 10, 2007
In my house
Visit site
✟15,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Talk about misunderstanding what Christianity is supposed to be.

And no, it is neither. If I say something like that I do not mean any god. It's just a exclamation.
Exclamations have meanings. That's the problem with languages today. People think that they're just words, cliches, innuendo's when in reality that is but the guise used for God's followers to say "oh, it's alright." There's what's meant and what's said, and if only more people would pay attention to what was said.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Theogonia

Jan 9, 2006
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
✟10,109.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Exclamations have meanings. That's the problem with languages today. People think that they're just words, cliches, innuendo's when in reality that is but the guise used for God's followers to say "oh, it's alright." There's what's meant and what's said, and if only more people would pay attention to what was said.

Words are only meaningful when there's something behind them.

Upvote 0

FlaymSior

Aug 10, 2007
In my house
Visit site
✟15,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
*starts humming "Angry Words"* Good hymn. A few cliches pop in my head. Something about a lot spoken but little said, and another about better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. Granted both speak of foolishness, but even they can be corrected?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mrpiddly

May 27, 2007
✟16,409.00
Faith
Atheist
Doesnt god forgive sins?That's all I can really say about that.

GH-God%20at%20His%20Computer.jpg

Upvote 0

Dannager

Back in Town
May 5, 2005
✟11,819.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
God doesn't give a damn if I hear or say "God".

Congratulations, you guys. You've been perfect little followers, unquestioningly accepting the asinine notion that God would somehow be offended by people saying "God". You haven't even bothered to find out what it means to use a name in vain.

Upvote 0